-Caveat Lector-

I have copied and pasted the addresses from my address book onto
a note pad document from which to copy them when needed , and
deleted all entries from my address book . I think , if I
understand how this virus works correctly , will keep from
inadvertantly spreading this ( hard to keep track of what goes
through my mail as I get app. 200 messages a day from 8-9 lists
)

Divine~

I am numbered by the government .... therefore I am

--- Steve Wingate  wrote:
>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> Sunday March 28 12:28 PM ET
>
> Warning Issued For Fast-Spreading Computer Virus
>
> NEW YORK (Reuters) - A new fast-spreading computer virus could
> spread
> havoc Monday after already forcing several large U.S.
> corporations
> to shut down their e-mail systems, the New York Times reported
> Sunday.
>
> The virus, which is named Melissa and is spread by e-mail, may
> have
> infected tens of thousands of home and business computers
> Friday, the
> Times reported quoting network security companies.
>
> The virus replicates itself by going into the address book of
> the computer's
> user and e-mailing itself to 50 addresses -- eventually
> overloading
> network systems to the point where they must be shut down. It
> does not
> appear to harm or disable the computers, the experts told the
> Times.
>
> E-mail infected with the virus has a topic line which begins
> ``important
> message from'' followed by the name of the person whose
> computer
> address book inadvertently provided the recipient's e-mail
> address.
>
> That is followed by the seemingly innocuous message: ``Here is
> that
> document you asked for ... don't show it to anyone else''. A
> massive 40K
> document called list.doc is attached, the paper said.
>
> While opening the e-mail is harmless, opening the attachment
> unleashes
> the virus. It seeks out 50 addresses in the recipient's
address
> book,
> sends itself off, and the whole process begins again.
>
> The two e-mail programs most likely to be affected were
> Microsoft Outlook
> and its slimmed down cousin, Microsoft Outlook Express, the
> newspaper said.
>
> Eric Allman, a co-founder of Sendmail, told the Times that he
> was
> concerned that the problem would worsen Monday morning when
> employees
> find the messages in their e-mail in-boxes.
>
> ``This will get into a lot of mail boxes and lay dormant,'' he
> said. ``When
> employees come in at 8 a.m. and read these messages, it will
> cause
> an explosive growth of the virus.''
>
> Allman described the virus as ``not the worst I'd seen, but
> it's pretty bad.''
>
> The virus brought the e-mail system to a halt Friday at the
GCI