-Caveat Lector-

What else could we expect from our most rabid warhawk?  This, coupled
with the announcement of Rumsfeld signing off on an additional
deployment of 35,000 troops to the region yesterday is ominous indeed.
It seems our foolhardy government has committed itself to this
destructive path even in the face of the ever-growing dissent both at
home and abroad, without giving themselves a graceful way to back out
without the needed support to continue.  Now if only we could get the
troops to refuse to fight...  This is criminally insane!

US Will Attack Iraq 'Without UN Backing'
By Toby Harnden
Daily Telegraph UK
http://www.dailytelegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/01/10/wirq110.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/01/10/ixnewstop.html

Friday 10 January 2003

America will not delay a war with Iraq until the autumn and is prepared
to launch military action against Saddam Hussein without further United
Nations authorisation, a senior Bush administration adviser said
yesterday.

Richard Perle, chairman of the Pentagon's Defence Policy Board and a
hawk whose views carry considerable weight, rejected suggestions from
British ministers and senior Foreign Office officials that plans for an
early war should be put on hold.

Mr Perle, who is close to Donald Rumsfeld, the US defence secretary,
said he did not expect the UN Security Council to reach agreement on the
use of force but had little doubt that George W Bush, the US president,
would press ahead regardless and lead a coalition to victory.

"I'm assuming that we will not get a consensus on the Security Council
but it may be possible to get it," he said. "It would be a great mistake
to become dependent on it and take the view that we can't act
separately.

"That would be an abrogation of the president's responsibility."

Mr Perle stressed that as an outside adviser he could not speak for the
Bush administration. But with Mr Rumsfeld and his ally Vice-President
Dick Cheney, now the driving force behind US foreign policy, his
pronouncements have taken on increasing importance.

Mr Perle said inspectors would not find actual weapons in the face of
Iraqi concealment. "If that's the test, we're never going to find a
smoking gun," said Mr Perle.

He criticised Hans Blix, the chief UN weapons inspector, for his
handling of the inspections. He said inspectors had mainly visited
previously known sites.

"They are the last place you would expect Saddam to put something," Mr
Perle said. "You would have to be a complete idiot to do that. The
inspectors returning to known sites makes Blix look foolish."

The Swede "has a history from when he was head of the International
Atomic Energy Agency and Saddam built a nuclear capability right under
his nose", he added.

Mr Perle suggested that American patience with the UN inspections
process was limited and closely linked to the military timetable that
makes it very difficult to fight a war after March because of the
searing heat.

He said: "If there's no change in Saddam's attitude I think there'll be
a reluctance to continue this without a clear indication that our
patience will be rewarded by a UN Security Council consensus.

"A consensus would be a useful thing and I think we'd be willing to wait
a little longer to get it but not a long time."

Mr Perle said America had been right to go to the UN to seek Resolution
1441, passed unanimously in November, because it "produced a consensus
in support of significant demands" but the UN had only a limited role in
dealing with Saddam.

"The question now of course is whether the UN having done that [passed
1441] will insist that its demands be met or revert to its previous
posture which was to pass resolutions but not take the actions necessary
to ensure compliance with them."

He expressed doubt that Tony Blair had asked or would ask Mr Bush to
delay war until the autumn and accused those who sought such a delay of
being opposed to ousting Saddam in any event.

Although Mr Perle did not mention them, a number of US State Department
diplomats are implacably opposed to war.

They were encouraged by the views of the ministers and the Foreign
Office, reported in The Telegraph yesterday, as well as recent comments
by Jack Straw, the Foreign Secretary, that the chances of war were
"60:40 against".

Mr Perle said: "There are nations on the UN Security Council against
taking military action so they will try to slow any movement towards
military action."

America and its allies, he insisted, already had the legal and moral
justification for war. "We might be acting without a resolution from the
UN authorising it but I think the administration can make a strong case
that Saddam's defiance of a variety of resolutions passed previously
could be understood to justify military action."

(In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is
distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest
in receiving the included information for research and educational
purposes.)

                                        © : t r u t h o u t 2002

http://www.truthout.org/docs_02/011203A.perle.attack.htm