From: "Euphorian" <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 4:11 PM
Subject: [CTRL] Razing the Dead

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-2453848,00.html
> Signs Direct Jewish Priests From Cemetery
>

> Tuesday March 4, 2003 11:10 PM
>

> JERUSALEM (AP) - New signs on a main road through Jerusalem direct Jews
> of the priestly class to move into the fast lane. It's not a social
> recommendation - it's meant to prevent them from running afoul of Jewish
> religious law.
>
> In the days when Jewish Temples were standing in Jerusalem, 20 centuries
> ago, priests conducted religious ceremonies and took special care not to
> come in contact with dead bodies, which would render them ritually
> impure. But today, the descendants of priests have no duties except
> blessing the congregation during services. Rabbis have now taken
> prominence as teachers.
>
> The signs guiding priests into the left lane to skirt a cemetery were
posted
> recently on the four-lane highway running from north to south in
> Jerusalem between the Jewish and Arab sections of the city. But the
> cemetery involved predates the current division by centuries.
>
> When contractors started building the road a decade ago, excavations
> uncovered an ancient Christian graveyard. In an area that has been
> inhabited for thousands of years, cemeteries honeycomb the landscape
> and many construction projects unearth them, leading to religious
> complications.
>
> Often ultra-Orthodox Jews demonstrate to halt construction over old
> cemeteries, sometimes forcing changes in plans or routes.
>
> According to Jewish law, priests, who often have the last name of
> ``Cohen,'' the Hebrew word for priest, are forbidden to enter cemeteries.
> The title is hereditary, handed down from father to son for thousands of
> years.
>
> Signs cautioning priests to avoid roads or take detours around cemeteries
> have been in place for decades, but they usually apply to active
> graveyards. The Jerusalem highway signs indicate a tendency in recent
> years by some authorities to apply Jewish laws more strictly.
>
> During construction of the road, the ancient remains were removed, said
> Osnat Goaz, spokeswoman for the Israeli Antiquities Authority.
>
> ``There is only one grave there now. We documented, but did not touch
> it,'' she said. ``It will eventually be moved.''
>
> Some observant Jews welcomed the new signs. ``At least now I know
> where I can go, and what is more important where I cannot go,'' said
Rafael
> Cohen, 48.
>

> Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2003
> Forwarded for your information.  The text and intent of the article
> have to stand on their own merits.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
> is distributed without charge or profit to those who have
> expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of information
> for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> "Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do
> not believe simply because it has been handed down for many genera-
> tions.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and
> rumoured by many.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is
> written in Holy Scriptures.  Do not believe in anything merely on
> the authority of teachers, elders or wise men.  Believe only after
> careful observation and analysis, when you find that it agrees with
> reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
> Then accept it and live up to it." The Buddha on Belief,
> from the Kalama Sutra
>
> <A HREF="">www.ctrl.orghttp://www.ctrl.org/">www.ctrl.org</A>
> DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER
> ==========
> CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing
propagandic
> screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please!  These are
> sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis-
> directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups
with
> major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and
thought.

> Archives Available at:

>  <A HREF="">Archives'>http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html">Archives of

[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>

http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
>  <A HREF="">ctrlhttp://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/">ctrl</A>
> SIGNOFF CTRL [to:]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<A HREF="">www.ctrl.org</A> DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

Let us please be civil and as always, Caveat Lector. ======================================================================== Archives Available at: http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html <A HREF="">Archives of [EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>