-Caveat Lector-

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Add doctors to the list of corporate predators, if you haven't already.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

House Acts to Limit Malpractice Awards

March 14, 2003
By SHERYL GAY STOLBERG

WASHINGTON, March 13 - The House passed legislation today
imposing a $250,000 limit on jury awards for pain and
suffering in medical malpractice cases, arguing that
frivolous lawsuits are driving medical liability premiums
out of control and forcing doctors out of business.

The vote of 229 to 196 with one member voting present, was
an important victory for President Bush, who has made
overhauling the nation's medical liability laws a
centerpiece of his domestic agenda.

"Today's House vote," Mr. Bush said, "is an important step
toward creating a liability system that fairly compensates
those who are truly harmed, punishes egregious misconduct
without driving good doctors out of medicine and improves
access to quality affordable health care by reducing health
care costs."

The vote was also a crucial victory for doctors, insurance
companies, the pharmaceutical industry and business groups,
which had lobbied heavily for it. By today, those groups
were so confident the measure would pass that the American
Insurance Association, an industry trade group, put out a
press release lauding the vote hours before it was taken.

Now the measure moves to the Senate, where it faces an
uncertain future. Senator Bill Frist, the majority leader,
has vowed to take up medical malpractice legislation this
month, and at least one influential Democratic senator,
Dianne Feinstein of California, strongly supports revamping
the liability laws.

But several prominent Senate Republicans have said that any
malpractice legislation would have to include an exception
for egregious cases, like the one involving Jésica
Santillán, the 17-year-old who died after transplant
surgeons gave her a heart and lungs of the wrong blood
type.

And backers of the House bill are acutely aware that
Republicans hold only 51 votes in the Senate, nine short of
the number to break a filibuster.

"We're going to have to find nine Democrats," said
Representative James C. Greenwood, Republican of
Pennsylvania, the chief sponsor of the House bill. But, he
added, "I think we have the best chance we've ever had, and
we have a president who is very keen to get this done."

So keen, in fact, that on Wednesday Mr. Bush invited about
a dozen undecided lawmakers to the White House to urge them
to support the bill.

At the time, Republican leaders counted 220 votes in their
camp. Representative Billy Tauzin, the Louisiana Republican
who shepherded the measure on the House floor, said today
that Mr. Bush was instrumental in bringing the total to
229. Sixteen Democrats voted with 213 Republicans to ensure
the measure's passage, while 9 Republicans voted against
the bill. Voting present was Representative Spencer Bachus,
Republican of Alabama.

"The president was very persuasive," Mr. Tauzin said. "He
basically made the case for it and urged them to consider
the importance of for the nation's good. This was a
national thing that he was very invested in personally."

Changing medical malpractice law has long been high on the
Republican agenda. But the issue has gained national
attention this year, in part because President Bush has
taken a strong stand, and in part because doctors around
the country have engaged in highly publicized walkouts and
rallies to protest high insurance costs.

The bill the House passed today does not limit jury awards
for medical and funeral expenses. But the caps it imposes
on pain and suffering damages apply not only to lawsuits
filed against doctors, but also to those filed against
insurers, pharmaceutical companies and medical devices - a
provision that Representative Henry A. Waxman, Democrat of
California, called "another reward that Republicans are
giving to the pharmaceutical industry."

Democrats, adopting the argument of trial lawyers and
consumer groups, say the House bill will unfairly prevent
innocent victims of medical malpractice from seeking legal
recourse. They also argue that there is no evidence the
bill will actually reduce liability premiums.

"We're voting on a bill that overrides state law and
undercuts compensation for victims of medical malpractice,
yet we don't know whether medical malpractice premiums will
come down," said Representative Sherrod Brown, Democrat of
Ohio.

Mr. Brown added: "We're supposed to take it on faith, trust
the insurance companies that they will pass along the
savings. We can't trust patients, we can't trust juries, we
can't trust lawyers, but we can trust the insurance
companies?"

At times, today's debate seemed like a face-off between
victims. Democrats showed pictures of victims of medical
malpractice, while Republicans talked about what
Representative Tauzin calls "the hidden victims" and cast
the debate as one over access to medical care.

"What we don't often hear about are the victims of a
medical malpractice system gone awry," Mr. Tauzin said.
"They are the victims who get hurt, who get injured, who
get denied access to health care at critical moments,
because some doctor couldn't get his insurance renewed
because the premiums are too high."

Today's vote came after hours of contentious debate in
which Democrats complained that Republicans were preventing
an alternative measure from getting a fair hearing. In a
series of party-line votes late Wednesday, Republicans on
the House Rules Committee voted to block any amendments
from being introduced, an action that enraged
Representative John D. Dingell, the Michigan Democrat and
chief sponsor of the alternative, which would not have
imposed caps on jury awards.

"It is shameful and it is totally inconsistent with the
practices, rules and traditions of the House of
Representatives," Mr. Dingell said, calling the move "a
bite on the throat of the right to free debate."

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/14/politics/14MED.html?ex=1048660247&ei=1&en=bcc4de42b398e5da

HOW TO ADVERTISE
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company

http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/">ctrl</A>