-Caveat Lector-

from:
http://www.aci.net/kalliste/
<A HREF="http://www.aci.net/kalliste/">The Home Page of J. Orlin Grabbe</A>
-----

Impeachment Bombing

Ex-U.N. Weapons Inspector Says Iraq Crisis Provoked by U.S.

Butler & Clinton co-ordinated to justify bombing

Former chief U.N. weapons inspector Scott Ritter says U.S. officials
prodded inspection teams to return to Iraq last month to provoke a
crisis to justify bombing.
"What [chief U.N. weapons inspector] Richard Butler did last week with
the inspections was a set-up," Ritter told The Post yesterday. "This was
designed to generate a conflict that would justify a bombing."

Ritter said U.S. government sources told him three weeks ago when the
inspections resumed that "the two considerations on the horizon were
Ramadan [the monthlong Muslim holiday beginning this weekend] and
impeachment.

"You have no choice but to interpret this as 'Wag the Dog.' You have no
choice," he said.

"If you start assessing what's happened since November 19 [when
inspectors resumed their work in Iraq], you have to wonder if the U.S.
isn't perverting a good cause."

Ritter's comments - and his reference to the movie about a president who
created a phony war to divert attention from his domestic problems -
came hours before U.S. military forces struck in the Persian Gulf,
destroying suspected biological and chemical weapons sites in Iraq.

In mid-November, U.S. and British forces were on the verge of massive
bombing attacks on Iraq. The attacks were called off at the last minute
after Saddam Hussein reversed Baghdad's Oct. 31 refusal to cooperate
with U.N. weapons inspectors.

After Saddam capitulated, inspectors were rushed back in to resume their
duties.

"UNSCOM [the U.N. Special Commission] knew there were no weapons at the
sites they were sending their inspectors to. We've been doing this for
seven years. We know that when the inspectors leave, Iraq shuffles up
the deck, moves the weapons."

"Why then did the U.S. urge these inspectors to carry out immediate
inspections?"

Ritter assailed Butler's report, released late Tuesday night, that said
Iraq was not complying with the inspections. That report was in contrast
with one released by the International Atomic Energy Agency which said
Iraq was complying.

Ritter insists Butler's report - while necessary - was politically
motivated.

"If you dig around, you'll find out why Richard Butler yesterday ran to
the phone four times. He was talking to his [U.S.] National Security
adviser. They were telling him to sharpen the language in his report to
justify the bombing."

Ritter quit the inspections team in August, saying the Clinton
administration and the United Nations had stymied the efforts of
inspectors to uncover Saddam's weapons of mass destruction.

He said that before he quit, inspectors had acquired detailed
information about where weapons were hidden - but the Iraqis have since
had time to move them and probers will have to begin the process all
over again.

Yesterday, Ritter charged that the only way to achieve the objective of
disarming Iraq is to demand - under threat of a crippling, large-scale
military attack - that they not only turn over their weapons, but detail
for inspectors exactly how and where they diverted the weaponry to avoid
detection.

A limited air attack on Iraq will achieve very little, Ritter said,
though he said it would be in keeping with the Clinton administration's
latest policy of containment with Iraq.

"No inspector should go back until Iraq admits it has lied and details
how they hid their weapons.

"Instead, we send inspectors back in to continue the failed process of
inspections. There are still weapons in Iraq. There's no doubt about
that.

"But we've been doing this since 1991 and its not working."

New York Post, Dec. 17, 1998

Impeachment Bombing

Pentagon Questions Timing of War

Clinton decision not related to noncompliance report

The White House notified the Joint Chiefs of Staff on Sunday that
President Clinton would order air strikes this week, 48 hours before he
saw a United Nations report declaring Iraq in noncompliance with weapons
inspectors, it was learned from authoritative sources last night.
Several Pentagon officials have questioned Mr. Clinton's timing to order
strikes on the eve of the House impeachment debate.

Pentagon sources said National Security Council aides told the Joint
Chiefs to quickly update a bombing plan that was shelved in mid-November
and were told that a strike would be ordered in a matter of days.

Israeli spokesman Aviv Bushinsky said yesterday in Jerusalem that
President Clinton discussed preparations for an attack with Israeli
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu just minutes before Mr. Clinton flew
home from Israel's Ben-Gurion Airport on Tuesday, ending a three-day
peace mission.

White House spokesman Joe Lockhart insisted that Mr. Clinton made the
strike decision yesterday based on the U.N. finding of noncompliance.

Nevertheless, a senior congressional source, who asked not to be named,
said senior Pentagon officers expressed great skepticism to him about
the raids. This source said that the White House eagerness to launch air
strikes grew with intensity as a parade of centrist Republicans
announced they would vote to impeach the president, in a vote originally
scheduled for today.

"I have had senior flag and general officers question the timing," the
congressional source said. "I have had senior military officers
laughing. I hate to say that. ... Why now? He hasn't built a coalition.
He hasn't done anything. Why this timing?"

Reporters and others traveling with the president in the Middle East
remarked during last weekend that the president seemed
uncharacteristically unconcerned about events unfolding in Washington,
and several White House aides expressed puzzlement that the president
seemed to have lost his "fighting spirit." Mrs. Clinton was noticeably
cool to the president as their visit there continued and drew away from
him on several public occasions.

The Joint Chiefs were described as strongly supporting yesterday's
attack. They wanted to launch missiles in mid-November, after Saddam
Hussein evicted inspectors. The president called off the attack just
minutes before "H hour" after Saddam promised to cooperate with
inspectors.

Defense Secretary William S. Cohen yesterday strongly disputed charges
the attack is linked to impeachment.

"The only factor, from my point of view ... or for anyone else's point
of view, was what is the national security interests of the United
States," Mr. Cohen said. "We are convinced. We have absolutely no doubt
this is the right decision."

Mr. Cohen also said war planners preferred not to attack during Ramadan,
the monthlong Islamic observance beginning this weekend.

This is the second time military officers and experts have questioned
whether Mr. Clinton timed U.S. military action to take attention away
from the Monica Lewinsky scandal.

In August, as Miss Lewinsky finished testimony before a federal grand
jury, Mr. Clinton ordered missile strikes against terrorism training
camps in Afghanistan and a pharmaceutical plant in Sudan in retaliation
for the bombing of two U.S. embassies in Africa.

Mr. Clinton's aides initially said the plant produced precursors to VX
nerve gas and had ties to Osama bin Laden, the exiled Saudi Arabian who
has vowed a reign of terror to rid the Persian Gulf region of Americans.

But administration officials later backed off some claims, saying that
precursors were found only in tested soil at the site. Sudan has denied
the plant was anything more than a pill factory and invited reporters
and international officials to inspect the bombed building.

Republican sources said Congress' near-unanimous support for the August
strikes emboldened the White House to use the military again.

"Now they feel they have nothing to lose," the source said.

As planning intensified Monday, one officer said, the White House was
particularly interested in a statement made Sunday by House Majority
Whip Tom DeLay, Texas Republican.

Asked on NBC's "Meet the Press" if he would believe Mr. Clinton's
justifications for an attack, Mr. DeLay answered: "No, because he hasn't
done that all this year. Remember about the time he was supposed to give
the [Paula Jones] deposition in January, he sent the troops and rattled
his sabers at Saddam Hussein? Nothing happened. ... I'm suggesting that
the president of the United States cannot be believed, and I think it's
reflective in his foreign policy. ... Saddam Hussein knows it, and
that's why he jerks his chain all the time."

Said John Hillen, an analyst at the Council on Foreign Relations, "You
know this is a 'Wag the Dog.'" He was referring to the movie about a
fictitious U.S. president who stages a war in the Balkans to divert
attention from a sex scandal.

"The same conditions that existed yesterday will exist tomorrow, will
exist next week," Mr. Hillen said. "The U.S. still lacks a strategic
goal. We still only have a rudimentary military plan. I'm hard pressed
to figure out in my mind some strategic calculation that necessitates an
attack tonight, tomorrow or this weekend."

The Washington Times, Dec. 17, 1998

Impeachment Watch

Impeachment Debate Starts Today

Democrats say impeachment is un-American

WASHINGTON - After a 24-hour pause while missiles rained onto Iraq,
House Republicans and Democrats engaged in a furious clash Thursday over
whether to proceed with impeachment proceedings while air strikes
ordered by President Bill Clinton continue.
The speaker-designate, Representative Bob Livingston, Republican of
Louisiana, had postponed the impeachment showdown scheduled for Thursday
morning out of reluctance to send a message that might be seen as
undercutting the military.

But amid deep Republican skepticism about Mr. Clinton's motives, Mr.
Livingston was unwilling to wait long and decided to bring the four
articles of impeachment to the floor Friday morning for a lengthy debate
and vote on Saturday.

Angry Democrats, however, used procedural maneuvers to block Mr.
Livingston's plans for the debate, complaining that it would be
un-American to impeach the commander in chief with troops in the field.

The two-day debate schedule outlined by Mr. Livingston requires
unanimous consent to waive the rules, which Democrats refused to give.
As a result, Republicans said they would go ahead with the debate on
Friday morning, but under the ordinary rules that allow only a single
hour of debate and do not need consent of the minority.

''This is a terribly unpopular measure and no one wants to deal with
impeachment, but it is before us and we must deal with it,'' Mr.
Livingston said on the floor, noting that impeachment proceedings went
forward against President Richard Nixon during the Vietnam War.
''There's no way to know when the troops will have completed their
mission.''

''We cannot refrain from advancing the people's business,'' he said.

The House minority leader, Representative Dick Gephardt, Democrat of
Missouri, said he was worried about the morale of the 24,000 U.S.
soldiers, pilots and sailors engaged in hostile action. ''I want them to
see nothing from us but support and unity of purpose,'' he said.

During an earlier appearance with fellow Democrats, he denounced the
idea of proceeding with impeachment now. ''That is wrong!'' he shouted.
''That is wrong! That is wrong! That is wrong!''

The White House reserved judgment on the new scheduling plans, saying
that it was up to lawmakers to decide. Because neither side wants to
hold an impeachment debate in just an hour, though, they were hoping to
find some accommodation before the House resumes Friday morning.

With the impeachment debate off the table for the day, the House briefly
put aside its partisan skirmishing to approve on a 417-to-5 vote a
resolution expressing support for troops in the Gulf.

Voting against were Representatives Ron Paul, Republican of Texas; John
Conyers, Democrat of Michigan; Mark Sanford, Republican of South
Carolina; Barbara Lee, Democrat of California, and Cynthia McKinney,
Democrat of Georgia. Representative Elizabeth Furse, Democrat of Oregon,
voted ''present.''

The outgoing speaker, Representative Newt Gingrich, Republican of
Georgia, spoke out strongly in favor of the strike against Iraq,
diverging sharply from the Senate majority leader, Trent Lott,
Republican of Mississippi, the House majority leader, Richard Armey,
Republican of Texas, and other Republicans who raised suspicions about
the timing of the bombing on the eve of impeachment.

''We have a chance to say today to the world: No matter what our
constitutional process, whether it is an election eve or it is the eve
of a constitutional vote, no matter what our debates at home, we are, as
a nation, prepared to lead the world,'' Mr. Gingrich said on the House
floor.

For his part, Mr. Clinton tartly dismissed the criticism from Mr. Lott
and others, calling his decision on Iraq ''the right thing for the
country'' and denying on Thursday that he would ever order military
action to help shore up his crumbling domestic position.

''I don't think any serious person would believe that any president
would do such a thing,'' he said before an Oval Office meeting with
Defense Secretary William Cohen, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of
Staff, General Henry Shelton, and other advisers.

''I don't believe any reasonably astute person in Washington would
believe that Secretary Cohen and General Shelton and the whole rest of
the national security team would participate in such an action,'' the
president continued.

The decision to defer the impeachment vote by a day may only postpone
the inevitable.

So few undecided members were left that White House strategists could
figure no plausible way to forestall impeachment and the Senate trial to
follow.

''It's fair to say it's over,'' said a White House adviser. ''It's an
illegitimate partisan vote and we'll win it in the Senate.''

The sudden eruption of war with Iraq touched off a fierce debate at a
closed-door caucus meeting of House Republicans on Wednesday evening at
which dozens of members stood up to talk about what they should do about
impeachment.

Underlying the discussion was a strategic concern over whether a delay
would alter the political equation that has turned so drastically
against Mr. Clinton in recent days.

The cynicism about his motives was palpable, particularly given that the
House that takes office next month will have five more Democrats than
the present one.

''Some members felt that the president's goal or intent was to get
beyond Jan. 6 and force another impeachment resolution,'' said
Representative David Joseph Weldon, Republican of Florida, who supports
impeachment. ''Others felt that the national mood or momentum had been
moving toward impeachment and if we did not move tomorrow, that momentum
would be lost.''

The House had planned to convene at 10 A.M. Thursday to begin
considering four articles of impeachment alleging that Mr. Clinton
committed perjury, obstructed justice and abused his power in concealing
his affair with Monica Lewinsky in civil and criminal proceedings.

If the House approves any of the articles on a majority vote, it would
send the matter to the Senate for a trial, with a two-thirds vote
required to convict and remove Mr. Clinton from office.

The Senate majority leader, meanwhile, ruled out a deal short of a
Senate trial, such as censure.

''We will go to a trial and there won't be any deal-making,'' Mr. Lott
said in an interview with CNN.

International Herald Tribune, Dec. 18, 1998

Impeachment Terrorism

Clinton Prepares for Terrorist Action

Domestic bombing to be blamed on Iraq

WASHINGTON — Federal buildings were placed on a maximum state of alert
and authorities tightened security at airports around the country
Thursday, bracing for any potential retaliation for U.S. and British air
raids against Iraq.
The General Services Administration (GSA), which oversees federal
buildings, said security had been raised to a maximum state of alert
from a heightened security alert.

Security was visibly tighter up on Capitol Hill where regular workers
noticed more guards on duty and inspections of car trunks taking place
in House and Senate parking lots.

Justice Department officials said extra security would vary from
building to building. Some workers might be asked to lower their blinds
or close curtains. In other cases concrete barriers might be placed to
keep traffic at a distance.

Anti-terrorism experts said the measures were prudent and necessary
despite the infrequency of attacks on U.S. soil.

"The suicide attacker who is truly determined and prepared to sacrifice
himself in his quest is extremely difficult to guard against,'' said
Kroll Information Services Director Ellen Tidd.

Security in the United States was last tightened a notch in August when
the U.S. launched missile attacks at alleged terrorist sites in
Afghanistan and Sudan.

Attorney General Janet Reno, the nation's top law officer, described the
latest measures as common-sense.

"We are trying to use whatever resources we have within the law and in
an appropriate common-sense way to protect our institutions and our
people,'' Reno told her weekly news conference.

GSA spokesman Bill Bearden said the public should anticipate slight
delays because of the measures.

Larry Johnson, a former State Department security expert, said the
United States was more vulnerable to retaliation than during the 1991
war against Iraq because fewer countries supported the latest action.

If bombing continued through into the Islamic fasting month of Ramadan
or if Iraqi casualties started to pile up then the risk would escalate
further, he said.

"If it's perceived the United States is beating up on Iraq without
international support then the United States is putting a big target on
itself,'' said Johnson, now a managing partner with security
consultants, Berg Associates.

A retaliatory attack by individuals sympathetic to Iraq could come
anywhere in the world or the domestic United States, experts said.

"Including Washington D.C., for show,'' Kroll's Tidd said, ''because of
the huge news play that would get and the symbolic power of such an
attack.''

The State Department said it was closing 40 embassies in Africa for the
next two days as a precaution.

"All the police officers on staff are more alert and ready,'' said
Washington Metropolitan Airports Authority spokesman Tom Sullivan.

The authority, that manages both Washington Reagan-National and Dulles
airports said particular attention would be paid to unattended bags and
motor vehicles.

"Officers are not going to be as forgiving of some of the lapses of
concentration that passengers make,'' Sullivan said.

The Air Transport Association that represents major U.S. airlines said
the next four days would be the busiest of the winter holiday season
with planes averaging 84 percent full.

At Chicago's O'Hare the visibility of security was raised. Police who
were usually in plainclothes had gone into uniform, said city aviation
spokesman Dennis Culloton.

Fox News, Reuters, Dec. 18, 1998
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,