-Caveat Lector-

---- Begin Forwarded Message
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 18:52:01 -0500
From: Ed Yardeni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: New On Dr. Ed's Econet
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

COMMENT: Inflation rates are moving very close to zero around the world. We
are literally on the edge of deflation. Expect even more signs of deflation
in 1999, despite further central bank easing and lower government bond
yields. I still believe we are heading into a global bear market for
stocks, which already started in 1997 for Asia and Latin America, and in
1998 for Europe and some sectors of the US stock market. The global rally
since mid-Oct pushed US stocks to a possible double-top. The advance has
been very narrow both among NYSE stocks and global stock markets, which
have not recovered to their previous record highs. (See GLOBAL MARKETS
BRIEFING.)

Y2K COMMENT: I've spent the past 4 weeks studying the Y2K disclosure
statements of the S&P 500 corporations in their third quarter SEC filings.
I didn't get a warm, fuzzy feeling. I would really like to lower my
subjective probability of a global Y2K recession, which remains at 70%.
But, I found no reason to do so in what I read. America's largest
corporations have had to increase their total Y2K budgets by 26%, on
average since the end of last year. They've spent only 42% of their latest
estimated budgets, which are likely to continue to rise through 1999. Of
the 11 S&P industry groups, utilities were dead last with a
spending-to-budget ratio of  31%! (See the latest four issues of THE Y2K
REPORTER.)

STOCK VALUATION: In addition to tracking the "Greenspan Model" daily for
you on my home page, I am now monitoring earnings expectations and stock
valuation for Canada, the UK, Germany, France, and Japan every month in
GLOBAL VALUATION MODELS.

IMPEACHMENT NEWS: An informed source in the White House (not an intern)
expects that Bill will agree to resign, but only if Hillary replaces him in
the Oval Office. She will then pardon her husband before filing for a
divorce. You heard it here first. Maybe I scooped the Drudge Report.

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year, Dr Ed

subject field or top of text.
********************
Home: http://www.yardeni.com
Weekly Audio Forum: http://www.yardeni.com/waf.html
Global Economic Analysis: http://www.yardeni.com/weain.html
Global Economic Briefing: http://www.yardeni.com/webin.html
Ecofax: http://www.yardeni.com/faxit.html

Global Portfolio Strategy: http://www.yardeni.com/weain.html
Earnings Forecast:  http://www.yardeni.com/public/ee.pdf
Global Markets Briefing:  http://www.yardeni.com/subscriber/gmb981218.pdf
Flight-To-Quality: http://www.yardeni.com/public/flqual_c.pdf
US Stock Valuation Model: http://www.yardeni.com/finmkts.html#C7
Global Stock Valuation Models: http://www.yardeni.com/public/stvalgl.pdf

Y2K Home: http://www.yardeni.com/cyber.html
Y2K Reporter: http://www.yardeni.com/y2kreporter.html
Y2K Netbook: http://www.yardeni.com/y2kbook.html
Y2K News Fax: http://www.yardeni.com/y2knews.html
Y2K Action Day: http://www.y2kactionday.com
Y2K Corporate Disclosure: http://www.progsys.com/yardeni/y2kfind.asp

For discussion of the spreading world recession and its
effect on stock markets, subscribe to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Send blank message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]