-Caveat Lector-

THE DEAN DECEPTION
The lying S.O.B.
by Justin Raimondo © Antiwar.com

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

Or, as the post-Vatican II generation would put it:

Through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault!

I confess: I wanted to believe. I wanted to hope. I wanted to have faith in Howard
Dean as the anti-war candidate. I even wrote a column about it, wherein I praised the
former Vermont governor and sometime critic of the Iraq war. Good lord, I even
compared him to Adlai Stevenson!

Boy oh boy, was I ever wrong! How wrong? Here is Dean giving Fred Hiatt of the
Washington Post the real scoop:

"'I don't even consider myself a dove,' he told me and my colleague Ruth Marcus during
a conversation before the rally…. It's true that he opposed the war in Iraq, he says,
but he supported the 1991 Gulf War and the Bush campaign against the Taliban in
Afghanistan. More interesting, at a time when many politicians are shuddering at
President Bush's ambitions to remake the Middle East – conservatives, because they are
skeptical of such grand reshaping ambitions; liberals, because they see resources
being diverted from social causes at home – Dean sounds if anything more committed
than Condoleezza Rice to bringing democracy to Iraq.

"'Now that we're there, we're stuck,' he said. Bush took an 'enormous risk' that
through war the United States could replace Saddam Hussein and the 'small danger' he
presented to the United States with something better and safer. The gamble was
'foolish;' and 'wrong.' But whoever will be elected in 2004 has to live with it. 'We
have no choice. It's a matter of national security. If we leave and we don't get a
democracy in Iraq, the result is very significant danger to the United States.'"

Now that we've made the biggest mistake in our history, we have to pursue the same
course until we've dragged ourselves, and everyone around us, down into perdition.
Iraq was a "small danger" a few months ago, but now, magically, it is transformed –
after Saddam's defeat – into "a very significant danger to the United States." And he
can always lay the blame at Bush's doorstep. President Dean can always claim to have
inherited the guerrilla war in Iraq, yet claim that now "we have no choice." It's the
perfect alibi.

As Dean barnstorms the country and charms the left-wing of his party with his brand of
pernicious guff, he is turning into a disaster for the anti-war movement, and an
embarrassment to his supporters. If we're lucky, Dean may derail his own campaign with
his careening instability long before he gets anywhere near the White House.

www.ctrl.org