-Caveat Lector- www.ctrl.org DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

--- Begin Message ---

The "Good Guys" Who Can Do No Wrong

By Robert Fisk

05/02/04 "The Independent" -- Why are we surprised at their racism, their
brutality, their sheer callousness towards Arabs? Those American soldiers
in Saddam's old prison at Abu Ghraib, those young British squaddies in
Basra came -- as soldiers often come -- from towns and cities where race
hatred has a home: Tennessee and Lancashire.

How many of "our" lads are ex--jailbirds themselves? How many support the
British National Party? Muslims, Arabs, "cloth heads", "rag heads",
"terrorists", "evil". You can see how the semantics break down.

Add to that the poisonous, racial dribble of a hundred Hollywood movies
that depict Arabs as dirty, lecherous, untrustworthy and violent people --
and soldiers are addicted to movies -- and it's not difficult to see how
some British scumbag will urinate into the face of a hooded man, how some
American sadist will stand a hooded Iraqi on a box with wires tied to his
hands.

The sexual sadism -- the bobby--sox girl soldier who points at a man's
genitals, the mock orgy in Abu Ghraib prison, the British rifle in the
prisoner's mouth -- might be a crazed attempt to balance all those lies
about the Arab world, about the desert warrior's potency, the harem,
polygamy.
Even today, we still show the revolting Ashanti on our television
stations, a feature film about the kidnapping of the wife of an English
doctor by Arab slave--traders, which depicts Arabs as almost exclusively
child--molesters, rapists, murderers, liars and thieves. It stars --
heaven spare us -- Michael Caine, Omar Sharif and Peter Ustinov and was
made partly in Israel.

Indeed, we now depict Arabs in our films as the Nazis once depicted Jews.
But Arabs are fair game. Potential terrorists to a man -- and a woman --
they must be softened up, "prepared", humiliated, beaten, tortured. The
Israelis use torture in the Russian Compound in Jerusalem. Now we torture
in Saddam's old jail outside Baghdad and -- for this is where British
soldiers beat a young Iraqi to death last summer -- in the former office
of Saddam's most murderous chemical warfare fascist, the awful "Chemical"
Ali.

And the officers? Didn't the British lieutenants and captains and majors
in the Queen's Lancashire Regiment know that their lads were kicking to
death a young Iraqi hotel worker last summer?

That man's fate -- and the documentary evidence proving that he was
murdered -- was first revealed by The Independent on Sunday in January.
Didn't the CIA boys at Abu Ghraib know that Ivan "Chip" Frederick and
Lynddie England, two of the American soldiers in the photographs published
last week, were obscenely humiliating their prisoners?

Of course they did. The last time I saw Brigadier General Janis Karpinski,
commander of the 800th Military Police Brigade in Iraq, she told me she
had visited Camp X--Ray in Guantanamo and found nothing wrong with it. I
should have guessed then that something had gone terribly wrong in Iraq.

I remember how in Basra, on the eve of a visit by Tony Blair, I visited
the British Army's press office in the city to ask about the death of
26--year--old Baha Mousa. The dead man's family had given me British
documents proving that he had been beaten to death in custody, that the
British Army had itself tried to pay off the family if they would give up
any legal claim against the soldiers who so cruelly killed their son.

I was met with yawns and a total inability to furnish information about
the event. I was told to call the Ministry of Defence in London. The
officer I spoke to appeared weary, even impatient about my inquiry. There
was not a single word of compassion for the dead man.

Back in September last year, General Karpinski was with a small group of
journalists in Abu Ghraib -- the same ghastly prison in which thousands
were put to death by Saddam, the same jail in which Frederick and England
and their American buddies were standing their hooded Iraqi prisoner on a
box with supposed electrodes on his hands -- and General Karpinski took
some delight in escorting us to the old Saddam execution chamber.

She led the way into the concrete room with its raised dais and gallows,
and -- in front of us all -- triumphantly pulled the gallows lever so that
the trap door clanged down. She urged us to read the last messages
scrawled on the walls of the neighbouring death row by Iraqis awaiting
Saddam's vengeance. But there was something wrong about her prison tour.

There was no clear judicial process for the prisoners and there was no
mention -- until I brought it up -- of the mortar attack on the
American--held jail which killed six of the inmates in their tents in
August, when General Karpinski was already in command of Iraq's 8,000
prisoners. They had been given "counselling", she told us. "They seemed to
think we had been using them as some kind of sand--bag." Abu Ghraib was
then being attacked by insurgents four out of every seven nights. Now it
is attacked twice every night.

Oddly, she claimed in answer to a question of mine that there were "six
prisoners claiming to be American and two claiming to be from the UK". But
when General Ricardo Sanchez, the senior Iraqi officer in Iraq, later
denied this, no one asked how the confusion had arisen. Was General
Karpinski making it up? Or was General Sanchez not telling us the truth?
Prisoners' names were often confused, Arabic script was
mis--transliterated, men went "missing" from the files. It spoke of a
whole culture in which Iraqis -- especially Iraqi prisoners -- were
somehow not worthy of the same rights as us Westerners; which is why, I
suppose, the occupying powers in Iraq always give us the statistics of
Westerners' deaths but care not the slightest to discover the statistics
of the deaths of Iraqis, the very people they are mandated to protect and
care for.

A few weeks ago, I was chatting to a young American soldier off Saadoun
Street in the centre of Baghdad. He was giving sweets to street kids and
mimicking the Arabic for "thank you": sukran. Did he know Arabic, I
innocently asked. He grinned at me. "I know how to shout at them," he
said. And there you have it.

We are all victims of our high--flown morality. "They" -- the Arabs,
Muslims, "cloth heads", "rag heads", "terrorists" -- are of a lesser
breed, of lower moral standards. They are people to be shouted at. They
have to be "liberated" and given "democracy". But we little band of
brothers, we dress ourselves up in the uniforms of righteousness. We are
marines or military police or a Queen's regiment and we are on the side of
good. "They" are on the side of "evil". So we can do no wrong.

Or so it appeared until those shameful pictures last week tore apart the
whole bandwagon and proved that race hatred and prejudice is an old
historical inheritance of ours. We used to call Saddam the Hitler of Iraq.
But wasn't Hitler one of "us", a Westerner, a citizen of "our" culture? If
he could kill six million Jews, which he did, why should we be surprised
that "we" can treat Iraqis like animals? Last week came the photographs to
prove we can.

Copyright: The Independent

<FONT COLOR="#000099">Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or
Lexmark
</FONT><A HREF="http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511";><B>Click Here!</B></A><FONT
COLOR="#000099">
</FONT><A HREF="http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/TySplB/TM";><B>Click
Here!</B></A>

-__ ___ _ ___ __ ___ _ _ _ __
/-_|-0-\-V-/-\|-|-__|-|-|-/-_|
\_-\--_/\-/|-\\-|-_||-V-V-\_-\
|__/_|--//-|_|\_|___|\_A_/|__/

 SPY NEWS is OSINT newsletter and discussion list associated to
Mario's Cyberspace Station - The Global Intelligence News Portal
 http://mprofaca.cro.net

######## CAUTION! #########
 Since you are receiving and reading documents, news stories,
comments and opinions not only from so called (or self-proclaimed)
"reliable sources", but also a lot of possible misinformation collected
by Spy News moderator and subscribers and posted to Spy News
for OSINT purposes - it should be a serious reason (particularly to
journalists and web publishers) to think twice before using it for their
story writing, further publishing or forwarding throughout Cyberspace.

To unsubscribe:
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

*** FAIR USE NOTICE: This message contains copyrighted material whose use has not been
specifically authorized by the copyright owner. Spy News is making it available
without profit to SPY NEWS eGroup members who have expressed a prior interest in
receiving the included information in their efforts to advance the understanding of
intelligence and law enforcement organizations, their activities, methods, techniques,
human rights, civil liberties, social justice and other intelligence related issues,
for non-profit research and educational purposes only. We believe that this
constitutes a 'fair use' of the copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of
the U.S. Copyright Law. If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of
your own that go beyond 'fair use,' you must obtain permission from the copyright
owner.
For more information go to:

     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/