-Caveat Lector-

----- Original Message -----
From: DRUDGE REPORT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 1999 7:53 PM
Subject: DRUDGE-REPORT-FINAL 4/21/99

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX 04/21/99 22:51:05 UTC XXXXX

PAPERS:  JOCKS CALLED TRENCHCOAT MEMBERS 'GAY'; BOYS WOULD HOLD HANDS IN THE
HALLS

Jocks at Columbine High School would pick on the school's Trenchcoat Mafia,
calling members "gay", the PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER is reporting in Thursday
editions.

"They were ones you'd make fun of," Mike Smith, 18, a senior and a point
guard on the school's state championship basketball team, tells the paper.

Smith says that "he and the other jocks would pick on the mafia members,
egging them on with gibes of 'gay,' or 'inbreed'."

Harris and Klebold would respond in German, Smith tells the INQUIRER.

"They'd talk back to us in another language and we'd just laugh."

The tensions between the jocks and the trenchcoats came to a head at the end
of the last school year.

For several weeks, Smith tells the paper, the two groups fought almost daily
after school.

"It was like, 'OK, we'll meet you here and we'll meet you there and get
it all over with.'"

He said school officials knew about the fights but did little to stop them.

At the time in the past, he had shrugged off the disputes.

But Wednesday, he felt guilty, reports the paper's Richard Jones and Gwen
Florio in Littleton.

"Sometimes," he added, gesturing at the school over his shoulder, "I think
it's because of me."

Jon Vandermark, a 16-year-old sophomore, tells Thursday's DAILY SENTINEL [in
Grand Junction, Colo.] that members of the Trenchcoat Mafia said they were
bi-sexual.

"Boys would hold hands in the halls sometimes," Vandermark tells the paper.

"They were called freaks, homos and everything in-between."

Junior Nicole Shieve watched as the two, and others in the group, kept
getting picked on during school.

                                 X X X X X

NATO GENERAL AUTHORIZES PLANS FOR POSSIBLE GROUND TROOPS IN KOSOVO

Secretary General Javier Solana said Wednesday night in an interview that he
has authorized the alliance's military command to revise and update plans
for a possible ground invasion of Kosovo, the WASHINGTON POST is reporting
in fresh editions.

Solana's disclosure was made during a telephone interview from Brussels, the
POST reports.

U.S. IS PRESSED BY U.K. AND FRANCE TO SEND IN GROUND TROOPS

Britain and France are pressing the United States to seriously consider
sending ground forces into Kosovo -- a move that the White House fears will
find NATO troops mired in a guerrilla war with Serb renegades!

"The problem is not fighting your way in; it is what happens after you  get
there," one White House official tells Thursday's NEW YORK TIMES.

According to publishing sources, the paper's Michael Gordon and Craig
Whitney will report that there is now an active behind-the-scenes debate on
ground troops.

The issue is not on the agenda at this weekend's big NATO meeting in
Washington, but one high European official of the alliance tells the TIMES:
"The leaders are certainly going to be talking about it, over dinner,
informally."

The official continues:  "The British, the French and the Turks might all be
willing to go in with ground troops... But what do the Americans want?"

Developing...

                                 X X X X X

CONTEMPT SHOWDOWN:  CLINTON WILLING TO PAY UP TO $100,000, BUT NO MORE

Clinton is willing to reimburse expenses up to about $100,000 without
challenge after being hit with a contempt ruling in the Paula Jones case.

But Jones Lawyer John Whitehead tells reporters that his accounting shows
that Clinton's false testimony cost between $300,000 and $400,000!

                                 X X X X X

LITTLETON SCHOOL MASSACRE NOT WORST IN U.S. HISTORY

A massive error is circulating in the media about Tuesday's Colorado school
tragedy:  It was not, repeat, not the worst attack on a school in United
States history.

[REUTERS:  "The country's worst school massacre, in Littleton, Colo."
UNITED PRESS INTERNATIONAL:  "The worst school massacre in U.S. history."]

On May 18, 1927, 45 people were killed, including 38 elementary students, by
a series of dynamite explosions at the Bath Michigan School.

After detonating explosives he planted under the school, "maniac bomber"
Andrew Kehoe, a school board member and treasurer and farmer, blew up his
pickup truck, killing himself and the Bath School superintendent.

"I don't remember hearing any noise, but I remember flying in the air and
seeing things fly between me and the sun," remembers AdaBelle McGonigal,
then 11 and in the fifth grade. "But I don't ever remember falling."

AdaBelle's ear was nearly torn off in the blast that killed 38 of her
classmates. Seven adults also died that day.

Because this happened so long ago, it is something that most reporters don't
know about and have failed to reference in the coverage of the Littleton,
Colorado nightmare.

Filed by Matt Drudge
Reports are moved when circumstances warrant
http://www.drudgereport.com  for steaks and breaks
(c)DRUDGE REPORT 1999