-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 4/23/99 11:50:30 AM EST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< First off, let me say that I tend to agree that Whitely Strieber is a
fake--perhaps well-intentioned, but a fake nonetheless. As an SF and horror
writer he's probably in the middle of the pack (although *The Wolfen* had me
looking over my shoulder for months after I read it... :^} ). Since he went
on this "alien abduction" kick, however, he has become unreadable (for me--I
won't presume to judge other people's tastes). I suspect that he has the
whole scenario on disk somewhere and is slowly putting it into print, to
string out the suspense, such as it is. >>

    Funny, I liked his non-fiction and couldn't read his fiction.  He wrote,
"Night Church" about a genetic line of satanic practitioners and it gave me
the utmost chills.  Then I tried to read, "Billy."  Strieber so well and
easily crawled into the mind of the perpetrator that I just couldn't handle
it.  It was similar to my reaction to "Mein Kampf."  There was real madness
there.

    From the tone of his fiction and what I know of him personally from what
he's divulged in his non-fiction, I've guessed that he is a survivor of
satanic ritual abuse himself.  If true, he could likely be a mind control
victim.  If THAT is so, it's likely he's been programmed and forced into
these alien abduction scenarios.  I think his experiences may be false while
he himself may be sincere (and a genuine victim).

    I most certianly did sense a lot of instability in him, and he's accused
of being mentally ill by Bud Hopkins, among others.  I liked that he thought
Phil Donahue was an arrogant jerk after being on the show -- I couldn't have
agreed with him more.  Generally, I find him to be an endearing and tortured
man.

Samm