Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:52:05 -0400
From: GOP.com <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: URGENT: It's October, But It's No Surprise

THE WEEKLY TRUNK - GOP.COM

Dear William,

It's October, but it's no surprise.   Remember last week, when I highlighted a quote
by Newsweek editor Evan  Thomas that the media's desire to see John Kerry elected may
be worth five-to-twenty million votes, and urged you  to be on the look-out for
evidence of that desire in articles and news programs?

Well, yesterday the front page of New York Times featured a flawed article asserting,
"The Iraqi interim  government has warned the United States and international nuclear
inspectors that nearly 380 tons of powerful  conventional explosives -- used to
demolish buildings, make missile warheads and detonate nuclear weapons -- are  missing
from one of Iraq's most sensitive former military installations.  The huge facility,
called Al Qaqaa, was  supposed to be under American military control but is now a no
man's land, still picked over by looters as  recently as Sunday."

CBS News' "60 Minutes" admitted today they were saving the same story to air the
Sunday before the election.

John Kerry seized on the New York Times headline to launch a political attack on
President Bush, saying U.S.  troops "failed to guard those stockpiles" and that is
"one of the great blunders" of the war.

Senator Kerry and the New York Times leave the impression that these weapons went
missing recently and U.S.  troops were derilict in their duty to guard the
stockpile--neither of which is true.

Network and cable news programs repeated the incomplete report and Sen. Kerry's
attacks more than 100 times on  Monday.

But last night NBC "Nightly News" reported that on April 10, 2003, one day after
Baghdad fell, U.S. troops  entered Al Qaqaa, accompanied by an embedded reporter from
NBC, and found no such weapons.

It also turns out that our troops have found and destroyed or are destroying 400,000
tons of weapons and  explosives.

There was no mention of either one of these facts in today's New York Times front page
story, which regurgitated  yesterday's charges and Senator Kerry's attacks based on
them.

Liberal groups like MoveOn.org have already blasted out e-mails repeating the
discredited report and urging  people to vote against President Bush based on the
flawed coverage.

We can not count on the media to set the story straight.  We have to get the truth out
to our friends and  neighbors ourselves.

We are counting on YOU to set the record straight.  Please forward this e-mail and the
attached fact sheet to  family and friends, call your local network, call talk radio,
write letters to the editor, and post facts on  blogs.

I suspect you'll be hearing from me again in the course of the next seven days as Mr.
Thomas's prediction proves  true again.

Sincerely,

Ed Gillespie
Chairman, Republican National Committee

Get Active
http://www.gopteamleader.com/users/joinnow.asp?sourceform=Trunk

Donate
http://www.gop.com/email/donate2004?BID=853&UID=4073651

Team Leader
http://www.gopteamleader.com/users/joinnow.asp?sourceform=Trunk

Invite Friends
http://www.gop.com/email/SendToAFriendTR1026.asp?Fname=William&[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Leave List:
http://www.gop.com/email/eout.asp?UID=4073651&BID=853

Paid for by the Republican National Committee.
Not authorized by any candidate or candidate
committee. http://www.gop.com

www.ctrl.org