-Caveat Lector-

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bill Gallagher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: July 21, 2006 9:09:13 AM PDT
Subject: falwell lines up behind israel

By Alison Hoover
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
July 20, 2006

Leaders of the five-month-old movement Christians United For Israel
and evangelicals expressed support for Israel yesterday at a press
conference in the Capitol, urging Congress to follow suit.
   They explained their stance to a standing-room-only crowd of about
75 people.
   "It is not a popular position for the international media, for
most of Europe, or for the world," said the Rev. Jerry Falwell. "But
it's the right thing to do."
   John Hagee, pastor of Cornerstone Church in San Antonio and
founder and national chairman of Christians United for Israel (CUFI),
said this is not a time for Christians to be silent because of "the
growing, active aggression we're seeing toward Israel and its people,"
along with the "growing threat toward any nation that supports
Israel."
   Mr. Hagee and others cited Bible verses to support their view,
such as Genesis 12:3 -- "I will bless those who bless you, and I will
curse him who curses you; and in you shall all the families of the
earth be blessed."
   Mr. Hagee said CUFI's main goals are to bring Christians to the
District to speak to government representatives, hold a "Night to
Honor Israel" in American cities, establish a contact network to
communicate quickly with congressional representatives and educate
Christians about "our biblical responsibility to support the Jewish
people."
   CUFI leaders acknowledged a hesitance by Jews to accept
evangelical Christians' support.
   The group's executive director, David Brog, who is Jewish,
encouraged other Jews to "take the time to get to know and work with
these Christians who are lining up to stand with us during these
difficult days."
   He added, "When we have friends approaching us, we should be very
careful before we reject them."
   More than 3,000 CUFI members attended this week's
Washington/Israel Summit, which also included time for them to meet
their congressional representatives. Yesterday's press conference
followed a dinner at the Washington Hilton Tuesday, called "A Night to
Honor Israel." It featured a speech by the Israeli ambassador to the
U.S., Daniel Ayalon.
   Some speakers at the press conference denounced actions taken by
the federal government concerning Israel in the past.
   "I will rebuke the State Department for any and every time it told
Israel to stand down and show restraint," Mr. Falwell said.
   He personalized this action for audience members by asking, "Would
we show restraint if somebody came across our borders with rockets?"

= www.ctrl.org DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.