MEXICO: Child Sexual Exploitation Fuelled, Protected by Economic Clout Adrián Reyes  "Mexico City, 7/27/06 (IPS) - While the Mexican government is touting the imprisonment of businessman Jean Succar, accused of running a child sex ring, as evidence of its tough stance against child sexual exploitation, authorities also admit that the number of minors subjected to such crimes has increased from 16,000 to 20,000 over the last six years.  Paedophilia and sexual exploitation of minors are not classified as serious offences in almost half of Mexico's 31 states, increasing the likelihood of impunity, according to Ana Rosa Payán, general director of the Office and System of Integral Development for Family Welfare (DIF), created in 1970." http://www.ipsnews.org/news.asp?idnews=34126

Church probes 24 paedo-priests Pearlie Joubert 7/28/06 "'The Catholic Church in South Africa is currently investigating at least 24 incidents of sexual abuse by priests -- 12 cases in Cape Town alone. Some of these are “historical cases” and happened years ago. In most of them, the victims were children when the sexual abuse took place. Southern African Catholic Bishops Conference (SACBC) general secretary Father Vincent Brennan said this week: “We do recognise that there is a problem. We don’t see this as a Catholic problem, though -- it’s a problem in our society. As far as I know, 4% of the adult male population internationally abuse children. Our levels of abuse in South Africa are higher." http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=279080&area=/insight/insight__national/