-Caveat Lector-

Begin forwarded message:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: July 2, 2007 8:40:23 PM PDT
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Keith Olbermann on London's "Terrorist Attack"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19549636/

Countdown, with Keith Olbermann

June 29, 2007

The London bomb scare. A car discovered overnight in Piccadilly Circus, filled with canisters of propane and gasoline and nails, possibly to be detonated by a remote device, possibly a second vehicle connected to it.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: If the device had detonated, there could have been significant injury or loss of life.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

OLBERMANN: How did they find it? Did a detainee crack? Did an illegal wiretap hit paydirt?

No -- an ambulance crew helping a guy who fell down in a nightclub saw smoke coming out of the car.

<snip>

OLBERMANN: The Bush administration‘s twin mantras for war in Iraq, that we need to go outside the Constitution to interrupt terrorism, and that we need to fight terrorists there so they do not follow us here, turned on their twin heads early this morning by a chance discovery in London, not by an interrogation unit, but by an ambulance crew attending to an injured man near Piccadilly Circus, noticing what appeared to be smoke come from a Mercedes parked outside a nightclub, what we now know to have been an explosive or combustible device that had failed to detonate.

Our fourth story on the COUNTDOWN, the details of the plot, whatever they were, still emerging at this hour, a second car inspected by authorities because it had been illegally parked, so they towed it, both vehicles said to have contained inflammable materials, what we know in just the first car to have been several propane gas canisters described as patio gas canisters, nails, and around 50 gallons of gasoline, officials saying that the cell phone that was part of the first car bomb, if it was a bomb, had received two incoming phone calls.

It failed to initiate any explosions before police managed to disable it. The cars, parked within blocks of each other in the heart of London‘s theater district, at the height of the summer tourist season, the timing, 36 hours after a new prime minister had taken office, a week before the anniversary of the July 7 subway bombings there.

Let‘s turn now to Larry Johnson, former CIA officer, was a deputy director of the State Department‘s Office of Counterterrorism under the first President Bush.

Larry, thanks again for some of your time tonight.

LARRY JOHNSON, FORMER CIA OFFICER:  Good evening, Keith.

OLBERMANN: The mechanics of this, you got dozens of surveillance cameras blanketing this area, might be the most-photographed area in the world, as the cars are parked. There‘s 50 gallons of gas in the first car, camper-sized canisters of propane, meaning they‘re used by campers, and some nails. What happens if you actually manage to spark this device?

JOHNSON: It‘s going to do a lot of damage to the interior of the Mercedes, but it‘s NOT the kind of car bomb or truck bomb we see going off in Iraq.

I mean, what‘s really striking about this, Keith, is, today you had two non-bombs in London, and we had at least five bombs in Baghdad, in which U.S. soldiers were killed in one of those. So it‘s sort of out of proportion. This was an incendiary [device], NOT a high explosive.

OLBERMANN: I‘ve read and heard nothing in any of the coverage here, nothing in these news conferences, about a detonating device apart from a cell phone. What was supposed to cause this thing to blow up? Because if we can put together car bombs with half a tank of gas and some propane and an old cell phone, then every drunken Hollywood starlet is a potential car bomber, isn‘t she?

JOHNSON: Right. Well, I think the fuel, the petrol, the 50 gallons, if you set that on fire, that fire can spark an explosion in a propane tank. But I‘ve seen those go off, and when they go off, it‘s an enormous boom. It splits the tank. But you‘re not going to get fragments and projectiles like a hand grenade going off. So you wouldn‘t want to be in the car when it happened, but, you know, if somebody was within, you know, 20, 30 feet of it, they would have ear damage, but not much more.

OLBERMANN:  So we‘re not talking about shrapnel, then?

JOHNSON: Correct. This is not a shrapnel-causing device. And clearly, the folks who put this together, you know, we‘re looking at yuppie terrorists, at a minimum. They can afford a Mercedes, but they couldn‘t afford enough money to get a decent class in how to make a bomb that would actually go off. Thank God.

OLBERMANN: What alarms you about this, other than the media‘s nodding-head doll coverage of this?

JOHNSON: Well, I think the other thing that alarms me about it is that we‘re so ho-hum when we have this body count piling up every day in Baghdad, where daily there are bombs, car bombs, truck bombs going off, and everyone is like, Well, OK, you just get used to it. And you have a non-event in London, and we‘re going to battle quarters and beginning to give the old hairy eyeball to every Muslim, when it‘s not even clear yet that -- You know, all we know is that these were people who could afford a Mercedes. That‘s the extent of what we know about this so far.

OLBERMANN: The practical stuff that maybe should be worrisome, obviously, there are terrorists, there are people who want to do horrific things. No question about any of that. But the idea that we need to fight the terrorists in Iraq, got to fight them there so they don‘t follow us here, whatever this was in London today, they were already presumably there -- unless this was the graduating al Qaeda bomb squad class, which apparently needs remedial work. I mean, does that logic about fighting them there instead of here even hold together slightly tonight?

JOHNSON: No, not at all. In fact, what we know is that the U.S. conflict over there, U.S. involvement over there, is aggravating the problem, not calming it. So I think what we need to do is continue to rely upon good intelligence, good police work, but ultimately, you know, neighbors watching out for each other.

OLBERMANN: Where, besides you, are the skeptics who know what they‘re talking about in this? Is there a problem with expertise on television about terrorism that nine out of 10 guys who come on TV have a vested interest in there being terrorism, otherwise their counterterrorism companies wouldn‘t exist any more?

JOHNSON: Keith, we saw about three years ago Gen. Richard Myers, the head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, say that the threat of terrorism was the greatest threat we‘ve faced in this country in the United States since the Civil War. And what we know factually is that fewer than 50,000 people, not just Americans, but all people worldwide, have died from international terrorism since 1968. We lose 50 million people plus in World War II, and we have someone like General Myers saying that this is the greatest threat?

It‘s a threat, but we need to put it in its proper perspective and go back and remember the words of Franklin Delano Roosevelt. It‘s the fear. If we allow the fear to conquer us, and allow the fear to drive us to do things like allow Guantanamos, like allow torture, then we ourselves become victims to that very thing which we say we‘re trying to fight.

And that‘s—you know, I think big deep breaths, remain calm, and let‘s stop with some of the alarmist behavior.

OLBERMANN: Larry Johnson, former CIA officer, former counterterrorism officer. Great thanks, Larry. We appreciate it.

JOHNSON:  Thank you, Keith.

See what's free at AOL.com.

www.ctrl.org