-Caveat Lector-

nurev wrote:

> We would like to get guns out of daily life and see
> what happens.
> If the death rate drops ( which it will ) then that's the way it will
> stay.

I recently got the following e-mail suggesting that your assertion that
the death rate would drop is incorrect. However, if there is a rise in
tyranny (as many who disagree with your proposal suggest), then your
suggestion that the gun ban will stay in place will be correct.

Howard Davis

AUSTRALIA SEES MAJOR CRIME INCREASE AFTER GOVERNMENT
FIREARMS BAN

The results are in from Australia after theAustralian government banned
firearms
and forced the country's gun-owners to surrender 640,381 personal
firearms to be
destroyed, and the results are what we expected.

In just one year after the government ban went into effect, costing the
Citizens of
Australia their rights the government more than  500-million dollars, a
dramatic
increase in criminal activity has occurred, including a whopping 44%
increase in armed robberies.

Despite the increase in violent crime, gun control advocates within the
country continue to take a wait-and-see attitude.

Since the firearm ban in Australia:

* Homicides are up 3.2%;
* Assaults are up 8.6%; and
* Armed robberies up 44%.

In the Australian state of Victoria, homicides with firearms increased
300%
despite the government ordered ban.

Statistics show that in the 25-years previous of the ban, there had been
a steady
decrease in homicides with firearms and in armed robbery with firearms.

Additionally, there has been a dramatic increase in break-ins and
assaults of the
elderly throughout the Country.  At the time the ban went into effect,
Australian government officials said they believed that seIf-deefense
was not a reason
for owing firearms.

>From 1910 until the year prior to the ban, homicides in Australia had
averaged about 1.8 per 100,000 or lower, and was considered a safe
society by the world's
standards.

Australian politicians are now at a loss to explain why no improvement
in safety has been observed after the monumental effort and expense was
made in banning firearms from the society. Their response has sirnply
been to wait longer.

Sporting Shooter's Association of AustraliaExecutive Director Keith
TidsweIl noted
the citizens of the United States are fortunate because of the activity
of pro-
firearm organizations like TSRA (Texas State Rifle Association) and NRA
(National Rifle Association).

"The best organization you've got there (in the U.S.) is the NRA.  We
don't have an
organization that size and as a consequence, we suffered. We hope that
you don't suffer."

Membership in Tidswell's organization has risen 200% in response to the
ban as an
attempt to organize against further controls, which are expected
throughout
the country.