-Caveat Lector-

Hello All --

Do you all know about this?
--barb

http://www.iaqpubs.com/apr1-1.html

EPA, Industry Looks Back At Achievements Made Since '89

  ___A decade after EPA made it's important three-volume Report to Congress
on the indoor air quality problems facing the nation, agency officials and
industry professionals will analyze where these issues stand today at the
seventh annual Indoor Environment '99 Conference & Exhibition- Solutions,
Strategies, Management.

  ___The event, which will be held April 19-21 at the Renaissance Austin
Hotel in Austin, Texas, marks the first time this year that EPA's Mary
Smith, current director of the Indoor Environments Division, will assess
the impact the 1989 report had on the nation and also what indoor air
quality programs and plans have had the biggest impact on public awareness.
Joining Smith will be Mary Ellen Fise of the Consumer Federation of
America, who has had her pulse on what consumers understand about indoor
air quality, and also Aaron Trippler, who is one of the industry's foremost
experts in federal and state legislation concerning indoor environmental
issues.

  ___The conference will also feature the general session, IAQ Training and
Certification: What You Need To Get Ahead. The session will focus on the
flood of new programs and courses being developed by industry organizations
to improve evaluation and remediation of indoor air quality problems in the
field. Panelists include Susan Smith of MidAtlantic Environmental Hygiene
Resources Center, Steve Hays of Gobbell Hays Partners, George Benda of The
Chelsea Group, and Robert Juliano of the American Association of Radon
Scientists and Technologists.

  ___Other conference highlights will include what you need to know about
black soot and candle controversy; new trends in microbial remediation; an
update of safety and containment; new research on asthma and allergies in
schools; and the 1999 Indoor Environment National Award Ceremony. There's
still time to register for the event! For information on attending the
conference, call the Indoor Environment '99 Conference Hotline at
800/394-0115.

>Barb, thought a copy of this might be useful info to present a
>case to the powers at be of the Sierra Club. This is an article
>from an industry journal so obviously the industry is well aware
>of the problem.
>
>Betty
>

>Nitro musks in fragrance products: an update of FDA findings.
>(includes related article on self-regulation by the fragrance
>industry)
>Discussing the safety of musk ambrette and musk xylol in
>fragranced personal-care products. Nitro musks are a series of
>structurally similar, nitro-substituted, aromatic compounds that
>are used as fragrance fixatives and materials in personal-care
>and household products.
>
>Cosmetics and Toiletries
>June 1996 (v111 n6) Start Page: p73(4) ISSN: 0361-4387
>Wisneski, Harris S.
>Havery, Donald C.
>

>Nitro musks in fragrance products: an update of FDA findings.
>(includes related article on self-regulation by the fragrance
>industry)
>
>Discussing the safety of musk ambrette and musk xylol in
>fragranced personal-care products
>Nitro musks are a series of structurally similar,
>nitro-substituted, aromatic compounds that are used as fragrance
>fixatives and materials in personal-care and household products.
>They impart desirable musk-like odors to consumer products .
>Consumer exposure to nitro musks in fragrances are estimated to
>range from 0.04 to 0.32 mg/kg of body weight/day.[3]
>
>One musk in particular, musk ambrette (MA,
>1-tertbutyl-2-methoxy-4-methyl-3,5-dinitrobenzene), was reported
>to be a photosensitizer and neurotoxin.[7,14,17] This prompted
>the International Fragrance Association in 1985 to recommend that
>MA should no longer be used as a fragrance ingredient.
>Musk xylol [MX,
>1-(1,1-dimethylethyl)-3,5-dimethyl-2,4,6-trinitrobenzene], also
>known as musk xylene, is another nitro musk recently reported to
>be carcinogenic in mice? Our article addresses these concerns and
>discusses the results of surveys of commercial fragrance products
>for MA and MX conducted by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration
>(FDA).
>
>Musk Ambrette
>Several years ago, published reports on MA questioned its safe
>use. MA was found to absorb through rat skin at a rate of 38%[3]
>and was demonstrated to cause adverse physiological effects in
>laboratory animals when administered through their diet or
>applied to their skin.[1,2,3,14,17] In 1985, the IFRA responded
>to these studies in its Code of Practice by recommending that MA
>should not be used in products coming into contact with skin.
>
>Musk Xylol
>Early laboratory studies determined that MX did not exhibit the
>toxic properties observed for MA. MX, which is structurally
>similar to MA, was found to be nonmutagenic[11]; it exhibited
> [...]

Barbara Wilkie
(My convention is prevention!)

Want to learn more about the toxicity
of fragrance products and pesticides?
Please visit the Environmental Health Network

<http://users.lanminds.com/~wilworks/ehnindex.htm>

Added by the Pied Piper
if you want to get more info on perfumes
Newman, Cathy. Perfume the Essence of Illusion National Geographic. Oct. 98
Many of the countries that traditionally supplied the raw materials
for the perfume bases (natural flowers and animal musk) have
devoted the land to other uses with the change to using
petrochemical bases for perfumes.  Though France has lost some of the
market to other countries, I think they have lost
more of thier market to petrochemicals.  France has seen a major loss
in this area.  Think of corn fields.  Now think of that same land being
devoted to flowers.  This article has some beautiful pictures and
for me it had a lot of information.