-Caveat Lector-

Social Security Funds Tapped To Pay for Kosovo

Bipartisan support to spend surplus despite earlier promises

Carolyn Lochhead, Chronicle Washington Bureau
Thursday, May 6, 1999

President Clinton has repeatedly and popularly promised to ``save every
penny'' of the federal budget surplus for Social Security until the
program is rescued from its impending bankruptcy.

The Republican-led Congress has wholeheartedly concurred, recently
passing legislation to stow away 100 percent of surplus Social
Security money in a ``safety-deposit box,'' never to be touched again.

That was last month. Along came Kosovo, and out went Social Security. A
huge ``emergency supplemental appropriations bill'' is headed
for probable House passage today, and the only question between both
parties is how many billions of the surplus -- every penny of it
Social Security money -- will be spent.

The money will go not only to the Yugoslav war, but also to shower aid on
farmers and steel companies, raise military pay and aid Central
American nations hit by hurricanes last year, among other things.

FAST REVERSAL

Although the use of Social Security mon ey for other government programs
is nothing new, both Clinton and Congress are tapping into
the money just weeks after declaring it sacrosanct.

Last month, President Clinton asked for $6 billion in ``emergency'' funding
to pay for the air war against Yugoslavia and the relief
programs for the hundreds of thousands of refugees who subsequently fled
the Kosovo province.

The House Appropriations Committee more than doubled Clinton's
request, to $12.9 billion, packing in such extras as a $1.8 billion
military pay and retirement package; $1.34 billion for spare parts; and $1
billion for base construction in Germany, Greece, Italy, Portugal,
Turkey, Britain and Southwest Asia.

Neither the administration nor the committee offered offsetting cuts. That
means all the new spending will come from Social Security,
which is generating the entire $107 billion federal surplus this year. The rest
of the government is expected to run a $20 billion deficit.

Redlands Republican Jerry Lewis, who chairs the defense panel of the
House Appropriations Committee, said he is proud of the bill.
Clinton's request ``in no way, shape or form addressed questions of what
do we do to replenish missiles now in shorter supply, and how
do we make sure America is ready on another front'' in Iraq or North Korea,
Lewis said.

``Clearly, we're having some difficulty in readiness even in this relatively
small country in a relatively small region of the world.''

MILITARY ASSESSMENT

Lewis said he asked the Pentagon to assess its ``absolute essential
military needs'' if the air campaign were to continue through the fall.
(Clinton has suggested it could last for several more months.) The result, he
said, is an ``absolutely clean'' bill with no pet projects for
House members.

Emergency spending bills are immune to the spending caps that Clinton
and Congress settled on in the 1997 Balanced Budget
Agreement. They require no offsetting cuts. Such ``emergency'' bills have
become a routine and increasingly popular budget loophole.

Contra Costa Democrat Ellen Tauscher said that she supports the Clinton
request, but acknowledged that the bill has become a
``Christmas tree'' for other military projects, most of which she supports.

``It's not a question of whether they're right or good or necessary,'' Tauscher
said. ``But technically, this is for emergencies, and we're
and using this escape hatch'' to bypass the budget.

But she defended emergency spending from Social Security for Kosovo,
as well as for farmers.

``The truth of the matter is that we have a surplus. It's very similar to if you
were busily saving to build a garden patio, and all of a sudden
you have a roof leak,'' Tauscher said. ``I know the administration is
committed to preserving Social Security, and certainly I am, but at the
same time, we have to pay for this operation and we have the money to do
it.''

SCALED-BACK PACKAGE

The Senate is expected to scale back the House version to about $9
billion, about midway between the administration and House
packages.

Although a handful of Republicans want to demand offsetting spending
cuts, they are finding scant support.

``The biggest faction is those who want to fund the emergency bill and pay
for it by raiding Social Security,'' said Steve Moore, chief
budget analyst for the libertarian Cato Institute. ``Less than six weeks ago,
they passed a budget resolution vowing never to touch the
Social Security surplus again, and here they are doing it at the first
opportunity they get.''

The Senate plans to tack their own Kosovo package onto an earlier
emergency spending bill for farmers, aid to Jordan and
hurricane-ravaged Central America. The Senate version would also
quadruple farm aid to nearly $600 million, largely because of the
work of Tom Daschle, the Democratic minority leader from South Dakota's
wheat belt. Others tacked on aid for the steel, oil and mining
industries who contend they are beset by cheap foreign competition or the
collapse in commodity prices.

©1999 San Francisco Chronicle

Steve Wingate

California Director