-Caveat Lector-

SkeptiNews 990513a - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

: Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
: Nothing contained herein is ever endorsed for truth, accuracy or meaning.
* SKEPTINEWS CONTRIBUTORS/EDITORS WANTED NOW * KEEP THIS BULLETIN ALIVE *
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

SkeptiShorts:

# Liposuction linked to 5 deaths. Doctors have identified five deaths of
patients undergoing liposuction, raising questions about the safety of the
country's most popular kind of cosmetic surgery. 5 out of 50,000 - wowie.
Count'em at: www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2559522460-9a9

: Would you rather be liposuctioned, stay fat, eat carrots, exercise, die?

# ONE MAN'S BELGRADE DIARY. Working on borrowed computers in the dead of
night, a Serbian filmmaker spills his war experiences onto the Internet.
www.wired.com/news/news/email/explode-infobeat/culture/story/19634.html

: Can you believe anything you read on the Internet? Everything? Some? What?

@ See THE CHINESE ROSWELL and an alien crashlanding near Tibet 12,000 years
ago and an Alien Presence in the forbidden tomb of the first Chinese emperor
Shi Huangdi, at http://www.newpara.com - or miss out on all the fun, eh?

: Are old UFOs better than new ones? Did ETs stimulate ancient Tibetan life?

# BRITAIN SHUTS DOWN SPY SITES. An ex-spy leads the British government on
a worldwide chase with his threats to post intelligence secrets on the Net.
The sites are coming down as fast as Richard Tomlinson can put them up.
www.wired.com/news/news/email/explode-infobeat/politics/story/19620.html

: Would you volunteer to mirror such spy-blowing sites? Do you feel lucky?

# Star Wars tickets available. "Phantom Menace" doesn't open until May 19
but some fans have been camping outside Southern California theaters for
weeks to ensure they're among the first to see the long-awaited prequel.
Get the Force: www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2559522321-dfd

: Is STAR WARS an evil meme that devours your brain? Is that what you want?

# 'PHANTOM MENACE' BORES, ANNOYS. With stiff, unconvincing performances
and a ridiculous sidekick, the long-awaited Star Wars prequel is a good
kid pic, but a galaxy far, far away from good. I gotta bad feeling...
http://www.wired.com/news/news/email/tip/culture/story/19648.html

: Did you ever want to pin a KICK ME sign on Darth Vader's back? Why not?

# SONY'S BARK HAS BYTE. Forget the Furby. Trash the Tamagotchi. Sony's
new cyberdog can be programmed to do tricks and senses when you need
some lovin', but it will cost you US$2,500 to collar one. Byte my baud:
www.wired.com/news/news/email/explode-infobeat/technology/story/19622.html

: What good is a robot dog if, wen you kick it, *you* hurt but *it* doesn't?

# Flynt makes deal with prosecutors. Prosecutors dropped obscenity charges
against Larry Flynt and his brother in a plea agreement that fines the
Hustler magazine corporation and removes X-rated videos from a downtown
store. http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2559521909-724

: Has freedom of speech been upheld? Is Flynt a Reptilioid? How d'ya know?

# BIANCA FINDS NEW SUGAR DADDY. The online publisher of "literate smut"
site Nerve agrees to buy the parent company of Bianca's Smut Shack, an
online pioneer and still-popular community site. Did Linda Lovelace gag?
www.wired.com/news/news/email/explode-infobeat/business/story/19624.html

: Do you prefer your smut literate, illiterate, telepathic, implanted, raw?

# Pope: Romania trip was historic. Pope JP2 called his recent trip to
Romania "historic" because it was his first to a mainly Orthodox country.
And...? http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2559519974-2d6

: What's the most historic thing a Pope could do? Submit to Mohammed maybe?

# New mirror for Ireland's 'Leviathan' telescope. (BBC) What was once the
world's largest telescope will once again be able to make observations of
the night sky. The "Leviathan" is to be fitted with a new mirror and will
look again at the stars and galaxies it first saw over a hundred years ago.
Humungo: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_342000/342012.stm

: Is Ireland suitable for an observatory? Do the voices in your head agree?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

SkeptiLinks:

@ Bill Gates: Antichrist Superstar: www.konformist.com/1999/gates666.htm
# BUGGLST virus hoax: http://www.datafellows.com/v-descs/bugglst.htm
@ Abysmal Awakenings: http://www.creative-web.net/Abysmal/

@ Planetary Activation Organization (PA'O):
  http://www.paoweb.com and http://www.astar-usa.com

  http://207.153.213.131/releases/1999/05/990512080218.htm
> Designer Molecules: Largest Protein Ever Created From Scratch Has
  Implications For Novel Drug Delivery And Diagnostics:
  http://207.153.213.131/releases/1999/05/990512080142.htm
> Scientific Trials Of "Wonder" Autism Hormone Treatment To Start:
  http://207.153.213.131/releases/1999/05/990512080052.htm

# High Priests of Globalisation Demand Media Secrecy:
  http://www.konformist.com/1999/bilderberg.htm
@ Info critical of Bilderbergers: www.bilderberg.org

  http://207.153.213.131/releases/1999/05/990512075340.htm
  http://207.153.213.131/releases/1999/05/990512075916.htm
> Seeing The New Millennium ... And Beyond:
  http://207.153.213.131/releases/1999/05/990512075615.htm

"The lovable but red-eyed pooch ceased foaming at the mouth, the parrot
poked an oddly shaped object back under the birdseed, and the recently
widowed Mr. Carbolic abruptly shooed the children upstairs, but their
reaction to her surprise visit with a gift of steaming casserole did
not arouse suspicion with Miss Styles." --Patty Day Frasure

* [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.sonic.net/~ric * ICQ# 19633976 *
email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SkeptiChat archives: http://www.sonic.net/~ric/sc/files.htm