-Caveat Lector-

E Mael wrote:

> while you were at it did you find any more filth on the good name of
> edison?

No, I wouldn't say so. In fact, the more I read about both Edison and
Tesla the more respect I have for both, while realizing more acutely
their human foibles. If you are truly interested in understanding their
relationship, I would advise reading the recent Tesla biography by
Seifer (Wizard : The Life and Times of Nikola Tesla: Biography of a
Genius (Citadel Press Book) -- Marc J. Seifer; Paperback).

Here are some reviews from Amazon.com:

Reviews
                     From Booklist , November 15, 1996
                     What kind of genius can fathom the mysteries of
                     electromagnetism but cannot keep corporate lawyers from
                     taking him to the cleaners? Perhaps because his
life did not
                     culminate in wealth and acclaim, Nikola Tesla has largely
                     slipped from the national memory. Seifer's biography
                     rescues him from oblivion, bringing back to life the
                     amazingly creative intellect that gave us fluorescent
                     lighting, wireless communication, cheap electrical power,
                     and the remote control. But Seifer also resurrects the
                     wounded, self-destructive personality who never
                     recovered from the loss of a favored older brother and
                     who spiraled into weird obsessions, mental
collapse, and
                     poverty as he watched other men use his inventions
to win
                     fame and riches. Seifer does an admirable job of explaining
                     his subject's technical feats and analyzing his psychological
                     idiosyncrasies. Tinged with pathos, this meticulously
                     researched biography deserves attention from all who
                     would understand the human tragedies played out in the
                     shadows of our neon culture. Notes, appendix, and
                     bibliography. Bryce Christensen
                     Copyright© 1996, American Library Association. All
                     rights reserved --This text refers to the hardcover
                     edition of this title

                     Synopsis
                     Nikola Tesla, credited by many as the inspiration for
                     radios, robots, and even radar, has been called the patron
                     saint of modern electricity. "Wizard" is the definitive
                     biography of this founding father of modern
technology of
                     photos .

                     Customer Comments
                     Average Customer Review:  Number of Reviews: 10

                     Christopher Wise from Hurricane, WV , April 13,
1999

                     tell everyone about tesla
                     everyone in the scientific community should be informed
                     about the struggle to get Tesla's work recognized.
He was
                     perhaps the most infuential scientist of our
century.

                     [EMAIL PROTECTED] from Saratoga Springs, New
                     York , February 3, 1999
                     Fabulous book on the genious of N. Tesla, a MUST
                     READ
                     I read the 1998 softcover edition and LOVED IT! I
first saw
                     the name "TESLA" as a "brand" name on the
television sets
                     in eastern Europe. My curiosity up, I searched
                     Amazon.com and found this book. I became a TESLA fan
                     immediately! TESLA had the greatest inventive
genius of
                     the 20th century, and most of his key patents were
filed in
                     the 1890's !! HE WAS SO FAR AHEAD OF HIS TIME that
                     some of his work is still labeled "TOP SECRET" by
the U.S.
                     government today. This book is a lesson in history,
                     conspiracy, industrial espionage, science,
corporate power
                     and the sheer awesome genius of TESLA, whose name
                     SHOULD be taught to every school child....before
that of
                     EDISON !!!

                     A reader from Lisbon, Portugal , December 21, 1998

                     The best Tesla Biography to date
                     This book is without a shadow of doubt the BEST
book on
                     Tesla ever written. If you're looking for
non-technical Tesla
                     information, this is the book to buy!

                     A reader from New York, NY , November 11, 1998

                     Tesla is a valuable target of study
                     I really got a lot out of Seifer's book. The detail is
                     excrutiating. The book flows as Tesla's life did,
and it truly
                     gives powerful insight.

                     The book is lucid to the point that the reader is
able to
                     understand Tesla as a man, as an inventor and as a mortal
                     demigod.

                     Truly interesting, well worth the price and time.

                     A reader from York , October 22, 1998
                     The author has detailed the conspiracy surrounding
                     Tesla.
                     To this day our children never hear of Tesla
through text
                     books, their library, or even the news media. Ever
seen or
                     heard of a TV special on the most brilliant genius
in the last
                     thousand years, NO. Read how the government has kept
                     much of Tesla's science and knowledge for top secret
                     black programs. Just as Steiger, in Alien Rapture, has
                     detailed the TR-3B flying triangle that warps
gravity as
                     Tesla suggested could be done. I've read every
Tesla book
                     and even have copies of his Colorado Springs experiments
                     and patents. Before this book, Childress had
written my
                     favorite book on the life and science of Tesla.
This book is
                     extraordinary, It is well worth reading for anyone.
I could
                     not recommend this book more.

                     Theo Benson, M.A. ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (author of
                     "Inside Your Shortwave Radio") from Southern
                     California , September 9, 1998
                     The most accurate and complete study of Tesla to
                     date.
                     For decades, students of Tesla's work have had to
rely on
                     books by Cheney and O'Neil. Both excellent, to be sure,
                     but both were written before much of the previously
                     buried or classified documents about Tesla were available.
                     In this Tesla opus, Dr. Seifer has drawn together more
                     information than has ever been revealed about the genius
                     Tesla, and presented it in a style understandable
by almost
                     any reader. If you've ever turned on a fluorescent light,
                     listened to a radio, or had an X-ray, don't think
of Edison,
                     Marconi, or Roentgen -- think of Tesla. If you want
to know
                     why, read THIS book! --This text refers to the hardcover
                     edition of this title

                     Paul Clarkson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) from
                     Scotland , March 26, 1998
                     An amazing book about an amazing man
                     Tesla was an altogether amazing man and seifer captures
                     not only his electric personality, but also the
zeitgeist of his
                     environment. Very well researched and with superb
                     photos and diagrams, hopefully this will help Tesla
gain the
                     recognition he deserves --This text refers to the
                     hardcover edition of this title

                     [EMAIL PROTECTED] from Seal Beach, CA ,
                     February 23, 1998
                     Great reading of the greatest unknown story of this
                     century!
                     Having read several books on Tesla, I found this
the most
                     fascinating. The meticulous research, combined with
                     insight in filling in the gaps of the research, put together
                     what is probably the most accurate story of Tesla
and his
                     dealings. The cast of supporting characters is a "Who's
                     who" of American history, and it's all real. No fictionalized
                     encounters or make believe dialouge. I can't understand
                     the massive oversight of Hollywood, to a story far bigger
                     and vastly more influential on our century than the Titanic
                     ever could be. I would love to write a screenplay
for Tesla,
                     but I know Mr. Seifer has already done it. Being an
                     engineer, I found Mr. Seifers technical
presentation much
                     more satisfying than the fictional hype of other Tesla
                     books. --This text refers to the hardcover edition
of this
                     title

Howard Davis