-Caveat Lector-

an excerpt from:
>From Major Jordan's Diaries
George Racey Jordan©1952 All rights reserved
Western Islands
395 Concord Avenue
Belmont. Massachusetts 02178
PRINTING HISTORY
Harcourt, Brace edition published 1952
Free Enterprise edition published 1958
American Opinion edition published 1961
The Americanist Library edition published 1965
--[2]--

CHAPTER TWO
The "Bomb Powder" Folders

In my capacity as Liaison Officer, I began helping the Russians with
necessary paper work and assisted them in telephoning to the various
factories to expedite the movement of supplies to catch particular convoys. I
soon got to know Eugene Rodzevitch, the field man who visited the plants and
reported daily by phone as to possible expectations of deliveries.

As Colonel Kotikov communicated with the many different officials in the
Soviet Government Purchasing Commission, their names became more and more
familiar to me. For instance, Mr. I. A. Eremin, a member of the Commission,
was in charge of raw materials. Others were B. N. Fomin, in charge of powder
and explosives in the military division; N. S. Fomichev, assistant chief to
Mr. Eremin in the chemical division under raw materials; and A. D. Davyshev,
in charge of electric furnaces. These names appeared more and more
frequently, because we were destined to accumulate chemicals and chemical
plants in increasing intensity in the months ahead. Major General S. A.
Piskounov was chief of the aviation section, with his assistants, Colonel A.
P. Doronin, in charge of medium bombers; and Colonel G. E. Tsvetkov, in
charge of fighter pursuit planes. I got to know the latter two officers very
well.

Few of the American officers who came in casual contact with the Russians
ever got to see any of their records. But the more I helped Rodzevitch and
Colonel Kotikov, the more cordial they became. It became customary for me to
leaf through their papers to get shipping documents, and to prepare them in
folders for quick attention when they reported back to Washington.

At this time I knew nothing whatever about the atomic bomb. The words
"uranium" and "Manhattan Engineering District" were unknown to me. But I
became aware that certain folders were being held to one side on Colonel
Kotikov's desk for the accumulation of a very special chemical plant. In
fact, this chemical plant was referred to by Colonel Kotikov as a "bomb
powder" factory. By referring to my diary, and checking the items I now know
went into an atomic energy plant, I am able to show the following records
starting with the year 1942, while I was still at Newark. These materials,
which are necessary for the creation of an atomic pile, moved to Russia in
1942:

Graphite: natural, flake, lump or chip, costing American taxpayers $812,437.
Over thirteen million dollars' worth of aluminum tubes (used in the atomic
pile to "cook" or transmute the uranium into plutonium), the exact amount
being $13,041,152. We sent 834,989 pounds of cadmium metal for rods to
control the intensity of an atomic pile; the cost was $781,472. The really
secret material, thorium, finally showed up and started going through
immediately. The amount during 1942 was 13,440 pounds at a cost of $22,848.
[*] [* On Jan. 30, 1943 we shipped an additional 11,912 pounds of thorium
nitrate to Russia from Philadelphia on the S.S. John C. Fremont. It is
significant that there were no shipments in 1944 and 1945, due undoubtedly to
General Groves' vigilance. Regarding thorium. the Smyth Report (p. 5) says:
'The only natural elements which exhibit this property of emitting alpha or
beta particles are (with a few minor exceptions) those of very high atomic
numbers and mass-numbers, such as uranium, thorium, radium, and actinium
i.e., those known to have the most complicated nuclear structures."]

It was about this time that the Russians were anxious to secure more Diesel
marine engines which cost about $17,500 each. They had received around 25 on
previous shipments and were moving heaven and earth to get another 25 of the
big ones of over 200 horsepower variety. Major General John R. Deane, Chief
of our Military Mission in Moscow, had overruled the Russians' request for
any Diesel engines because General MacArthur needed them in the South
Pacific. Rut the Russians were undaunted and decided to make an issue of it
by going directly to Hopkins who overruled everyone in favor of Russia. In
the three-year period, 1942-44, a total-of 1,305 of these engines were sent
to Russia! They cost $30,745,947. The engines they had previously received
were reported by General Deane and our military observers to be rusting in
open storage. It is now perfectly obvious that these Diesels were post-war
items, not at all needed for Russia's immediate war activity.

Major General Deane, an expert on Russian Lend-Lease, has this to say in his
excellent book, The Strange Alliance, which bears the meaningful subtitle,
"The Story of Our Efforts at Wartime Cooperation with Russia":

With respect to Russian aid, I always felt that their mission (that is, the
mission of Harry Hopkins and his aide, Major General James H. Burns) was
carried out with a zeal which approached fanaticism. Their enthusiasm became
so ingrained that it could not be tempered when conditions indicated that a
change in policy was desirable . . . When the tide turned at Stalingrad and a
Russian offensive started which ended only in Berlin, a new situation was
created. We now had a Red Army which was plenty cocky and which became more
so with each successive victory. The Soviet leaders became more and more
demanding. The fire in our neighbor's house had been extinguished and we had
submitted ourselves to his direction in helping to extinguish ft. He assumed
that we would continue to submit ourselves to his direction in helping
rebuild the house, and unfortunately we did. He allowed us to work on the
outside and demanded that we furnish the material for the inside, the exact
use of which we were not allowed to see. Now that the house is furnished, we
have at best only a nodding acquaintance. [1]

It is true that we never knew the exact use to which anything sent under
Russian Lend-Lease was put, and the failure to set up a system of
accountability is now seen to have been an appalling mistake. But could
anything be more foolish than to suppose that the atomic materials we sent
were not used for an atomic bomb which materialized in Russia long before we
expected it? The British let us inspect their installations openly, and
exchanged information freely. The Russians did not. Our Government was intent
on supplying whatever the Russians asked for, as fast as we could get it to
them—and I was one of the expediters. And when I say $tour Government," I
mean of course Harry Hopkins, the man in charge of Lend-Lease, and his aides.
We in the Army knew where the orders were coming from, and so did the
Russians. The "Push-button system" worked splendidly; no one knew it better
than Colonel Kotikov.

One afternoon Colonel Kotikov called me to the door of the hangar. He pointed
to a small plane which bore a red star in a white circle. "Who owns this?" he
asked. I recognized it as a Texaco plane, and explained that it belonged to
an oil firm, The Texas Company.

What right had The Texas Company, he asked, to usurp the red star? He would
phone Washington and have it taken away from them immediately. I grabbed his
arm and hastily explained that the state of Texas had been known as the "Lone
Star State" long before the Russian revolution. I said that if he started a
fight about this star, the state of Texas might declare war on Russia all by
itself.

Kotikov wasn't really sure whether I was joking, but he finally dropped the
idea of phoning. I always remember with amusement that this was one of the
few times that Harry Hopkins was not called upon for help.

The various areas of Russia that were being built or rebuilt were apparent
from the kind of supplies going forward on Lend-Lease. Many of the supplies
were incredibly longrange in quantity and quality. Here are some of the more
important centers:

Soviet City     Nature of U.S.Lend-Lease Material

Chelyabinsk     Tractor and farm machinery
Chirchik        Powder and explosive factories
Kamensk Uralski Aluminum manufacture
Nizhni Tagil    Railway car shops
Novosibirsk     Plane factory and parts
Magnitogorsk    Steel mill equipment
Omsk    Tank center
Sverdlovsk      Armament plants

The Russians were great admirers of Henry Ford. Often the interpreter would
repeat to me such statements of theirs as, "These shipments will help to
Fordize our country," or "We are behind the rest of the world and have to
hurry to catch up."

It had become clear, however, that we were not going to stay at Newark much
longer. The growing scope of our activities, the expansion of Lend-Lease, the
need for more speedy delivery of aircraft to Russia-all these factors were
forcing a decision in the direction of air delivery to supplant ship
delivery. It had long been obvious that the best route was from Alaska across
to Siberia.

>From the first the Russians were reluctant to open the Alaskan-Siberian
route. Even before Pearl Harbor, on the occasion of the first
Harriman-Beaverbrook mission to Moscow in September, 1941, Averell Harriman
had suggested to Stalin that American aircraft could be delivered to the
Soviet Union from Alaska through Siberia by American crews. Stalin demurred
and said it was "too dangerous a route." It would have brought us, of course,
behind the Iron Curtain.

During the Molotov visit to the White House, Secretary of State Cordell Hull
handed Harry Hopkins a memorandum with nine items of agenda for the Russians,
the first of which was: "'Me Establishment of an Airplane Ferrying Service
from the United States to the Soviet Union Through Alaska and Siberia." When
the President brought this up, Molotov observed that it was under advisement,
but "he did not as yet know what decision had been reached."

Major General John R. Deane has an ironic comment on Russian procrastination
in this regard:

Before I left for Russia, General Arnold, who could pound the desk and get
things done in the United States, had called me to his office, pounded the
desk, and told me what he wanted done in the way of improving air
transportation between the United States and Russia. He informed me that I
was to obtain Russian approval for American operation of air transport planes
to Moscow on any of the following routes in order of priority: one, the
Alaskan-Siberian route; two, via the United Kingdom and Stockholm; or three,
from Teheran to Moscow. I saluted, said Yes, sir, and tried for two years to
carry out his instructions.[2]

Where the U.S. was not able to force Russia's hand, Nazi submarines
succeeded. Subs out of Norway were attacking our Lend-Lease convoys on the
Murmansk route, apparently not regarded as "too dangerous a route" for
American crews. A disastrous limit was finally reached when out of one convoy
of 34 ships, 21 were lost. The Douglas A-20 Havocs, which were going to the
bottom of the ocean, were more important to Stalin than human lives. So first
we started flying medium bombers from South America to Africa, but by the
time they got across Africa to Tiflis, due to sandstorms the motors had to be
taken down and they were not much use to the Russians. Nor were we able to
get enough of them on ships around Africa to fill Russian requirements for
the big offensive building up for the battle of Stalingrad. Finally, Russia
sent its OK on the Alaskan-Siberian route. Americans would fly the planes to
Fairbanks, Alaska: Americans would set up all the airport facilities in
Alaska[*]; Soviet pilots would take over on our soil; Soviet pilots only,
would fly into Russia.[ * Later it came out that we actually built bases for
the Russians in Siberia. Colonel Maxwell E. Erdofy, the famous airport
builder, and crews from the Alcan Highway project were ordered to Russia and
kept in isolation and under Soviet guard as they built Siberian airPorts. I
find no record anywhere of this work having been charged to Lend-Lease.]

The chief staging-point in the U.S. was to be Gore Field in Great Falls,
Montana. A few years before the war General Royce, who had been experimenting
in cold-weather flying with a group of training planes called "Snow Birds,"
had found that Great Falls, with its airport 3,665 feet above sea level, on
the top of a mesa tableland 300 feet above the city itself, had a remarkable
record of more than 300 clear flying days per year, despite its very cold dry
climate in the winter.

If you look at a projection of the globe centered on the North Pole, you will
see that Great Falls is almost on a direct line with Moscow. This was to be
the new and secret Pipeline. The Army called it ALSIB.

--[notes]--
CHAPTER TWO

The "Bomb Powder" Folders

1. The Strange Alliance, John R. Deane, (Viking, 1947), pp. 90-91.

2. Ibid., p. 78.

pps. 13-18

--[cont]--
Aloha, He'Ping,