-Caveat Lector-

>From TheNewAustralian
http://www.newaus.com.au/asia118treason.html

The New Australian

Clinton's guarantee to Beijing

By Peter Zhang
No. 118,   10-16 May 1999

Clinton's Chinese spying scandal is like super glue — I just cannot
get away from it. Much as I prefer to write about the state of the
Chinese economy, readers keep insisting on information about
Beijing's intelligence activities despite my protestations of being
inadequately informed on the subject. The most frequent question is:
"What was in it for China." Though I had raised the same question
myself, it was only in a rhetorical sense as I thought, at least by
now, that the answer was obvious. Clinton gave Beijing a free reign
and a guarantee that its activities would not be interrupted during,
what he quaintly calls, his "watch" so that China could clear out
America's military and high-tech secrets. Simple.

But questions regarding Clinton, particularly on this matter, only
lead to more questions. How could Beijing be certain that Clinton,
even as president of the United States, could make good such a
guarantee? One, I think, should start with his governorship of
Arkansas. There seems little doubt that Clinton ran it as his
personal fiefdom, replacing or shoving aside those who could prove
troublesome. Some would argue that this is the norm. That is probably
true in American politics, but not to the corrupt and ruthless extent
that Clinton practised it. His approach to power and people is truly
medieval, minus the noblesse oblige. Given this fact, and his support
in the media, it is not surprising that reports made out to Chinese
intelligence suggested that Clinton would be favourably disposed to
dealing with Chinese representatives — for a price.

Intelligence assessments were supported by Clinton's action, shortly
after entering (or is it soiling?) the Oval Office, in asking all US
Attorneys to resign. This unprecedented and dictatorial move gave the
Clinton administration control over the prosecutorial machinery of
the federal government in every judicial district in the US. No need
to tell you who was impressed by this breathtakingly brazen move. Why
Clinton even tried to appoint Webster Hubbel to the post of Attorney
General. Imagine where that would have led. But what struck a
particular chord was the way the American media acquiesced to the
Clintons' manoeuvres. Beijing does not underrate the power of the
Western media, especially in America. That, with the exception of a
few lone voices, it was prepared to collaborate with the Clintons
gave further assurance to Beijing that Clinton was able to deliver.

But what of the CIA and the FBI, asked some readers? I have no wish
to be patronising, but the naiveté of the American public is almost
touching. It didn't even notice that William Sessions, FBI Director,
a man noted for his integrity and opposition to political
interference in the Bureau's affairs, was removed as quickly as
Clinton moved into the Oval office. There is no doubt that Clinton
deliberately acted to chain the CIA and the National Security Agency
as well as the FBI. One method was to have Clinton supporters in
sensitive positions so that they could delay, if not derail, any
budding investigations into Clinton's China operations.

With these bodies effectively neutered Chinese intelligence would
have a field day. Now being ineffective does not mean uninformed.
These agencies new very well what Chinese intelligence was up to but
were largely powerless to do anything. After all, what could they do
when the commander in chief, the president himself, had, by his
actions, made it clear that investigations into China's spying
activities were not to be implemented.

Just to make sure that nothing embarrassing emerged, Clinton
appointed Janet Reno to head the Justice Department with the
intention of sabotaging any investigations into Chinese intelligence
operations. I should point out at this stage that several Chinese
officials let it drop that they believed Clinton was blackmailing
Reno over certain activities concerning her personal life. Whatever
the truth of the matter, Reno's role as the last of Clinton's
gatekeepers, so to speak, has more than satisfied Beijing's
expectations by thoroughly corrupting the Justice Department and
blocking FBI requests.

No wonder Beijing was so satisfied with its part of the deal that if
felt sufficiently in command to 'request' that Clinton see to it that
John Huang be given top security clearance and placed in a favourable
position, favourable to Chinese intelligence, that is. Thus we find
Huang being given a position in the Commerce Department at the
insistence of Clinton. Hence he was able to use his security
clearance to directly obtain information from the CIA. I am told that
CIA officials were in no doubt about Huang's activities but were held
in check by Clinton, despite CIA complaints. Does any reader honestly
believe that Clinton is so innocent that he had no idea why Beijing
wanted a security clearance for Huang? Of course he knew.

So did Beijing really think it was going to get away with spying
activities? Of course it did. And it has. Chinese intelligence
expected eventual exposure but calculated that by the time it
occurred the damage would be done. It was right. Clinton, not China,
emptied the Candy store with devastating results for American
security. The consequences will be felt for many years to come.

To put it bluntly: President William Jefferson Clinton is guilty of
high treason. It's time Americans woke up to that awful fact.

The New Australian

http://www.newaus.com.au/peter.html

Clinton's policy disasters from China and Thailand to Serbia

The New Australian
No. 119,   17-23 May 1999

On 4 June 1989 thousands of students flooded into Tiananmen Square to
demand liberty and democracy. Inspired by America's example, they
carried large models of the Statue of Liberty; the American embassy,
which had given asylum to the dissident Feng Lizhi, was treated as if
it was sacred ground. This was the moment when the Soviet Empire was
crumbling and, thanks to Ronald Reagan, America's power and moral
standing had no equal. China's leadership was unnerved and confused.

Ten years later thousands of students are once again flooding into
Tiananmen Square, not to demand liberty or justice but to damn the
United States and desecrate its flag. Where once the police had to
prevent students from paying homage to the US embassy they now have
to stop them from burning it down. A leadership that was uncertain of
its future and authority has now reasserted itself and is as
politically confident as ever, treating with contempt US objections
to human rights abuses while sneering at calls for greater political
liberalisation.

What brought about this radical and dangerous change in perceptions?
The answer is President William Jefferson Clinton. Within a matter of
years this depraved and cowardly man has virtually destroyed the
moral authority of the United States among China's emerging
intelligentsia and ignited a very dangerous brand of nationalism.
Even the Chinese leadership cannot believe its luck. Not only did
this man sell his country's secrets to Beijing, he even destroyed its
moral credibility among the Chinese people. And for what?

Of course Beijing has helped organise and channel the demonstrations.
It would have been stupid not to. Nonetheless, the outpouring of hate
and anger was spontaneous. Once again, Chinese nationalists reasoned,
China was being treated with contempt by gui laos just as in the
nineteenth century. Old wounds have now been reopened and new ones
inflicted. All of this was sadly predictable. While other papers and
magazines were publishing stories about China's so-called communist
regime The New Australian was drawing attention to the sinister rise
of Chinese nationalism whose nineteenth century cousins spawned
German and Japanese militarism1.

Though it is true that China does not have the kind of traditions
that gave rise to German and Japanese militaris it does have an
authoritarian tradition that can, in my opinion, be channelled into a
militaristic culture. On the other hand, this would then run into the
Chinese respect for commerce and its strong materialistic drive2.
This, however, is speculation and what really matters at the moment
is the present for it will shape the future. And right now it is
Clinton who is turning out to be the trigger that is detonating
Chinese nationalism, to the delight of China's rulers.

The ramifications are far reaching and dangerous. Far from impressing China,
as did Desert Storm, the Serbian war has convinced many in the leadership
that the US is truly a paper tiger. Sure it has the military means but
 it does not have the will, or so it is thought. If Americans, as one official told
me, had the strength of character and moral fortitude they believe themselves
to possess they would have thrown Clinton out of the Oval Office. I personally
dispute this assessment. But what I think is of no consequence. The important
thing is that many influential people in Beijing are beginning to think this
way — and that is dangerous
for all of us.

Clinton is one of those odious creatures whose moral turpitude sees
them ignore even the near-term consequences of their actions, no
matter how damaging, in favour of immediate gratification. This is
something that Beijing has exploited with its usual political
cunning. An excellent example is Clinton's unbelievably stupid and
arrogant action of vetoing the candidacy of the Thai Deputy Prime
Minister Supachai Panitchpakdi to the director-generalship of the
World Trade Organisation, even though no one seriously disputes he is
by far the superior candidate. So why the veto after promising to
support him?3 Because he opposed the insertion of labour clauses into
free trade agreements because they are designed destroy Asian jobs.
And who insisted on these clauses? Why American unions who are also
big donators to the Clinton and Gore campaigns.

Not content with breaking his promise to Thailand he then insults and
treats the country with utter contempt, despite the fact that it has
been one of America's strongest Asian allies. And who is Clinton now
supporting? Mike Moore, former prime minister of New Zealand, the
country that abandoned the Western alliance even as Thailand stood
shoulder to shoulder with Washington. Thailand has now come to
realise how latter-day America treats loyal allies. The result is
that anti-American sentiment is on the rise in the country and this
is fuelling the call for a reorientation of foreign policy away from
the US and the West. And guess who is moving to fill the vacuum? Yes,
Beijing.

Even now, as the Serbian and Asian fiascoes unfold, Americans do not
realise the price they are going to pay for not having forced Clinton from
office and discounted character as a mark of leadership.

1 China has generals but where is Bismarck? <<hot link at site>>

2Despite what many Westerners naively think, the Chinese are among
the world's most materialistic people.

3There is no question that the Clinton administration assured the
Thai government that Supachai Panitchpakdi would have its full
support. So much for a Clinton promise.

The New Australian

Statement of Principles

In the past year, we have witnessed a phenomenal growth in the
readership of the ‘New Australian’. During that time, the amount of mail
that we receive has proportionally increased. Most of this mail has been
approving, but there is a residue of ill informed, and often wildly abusive,
mail, most of it from the left. For the record, I would like to state our broad
philosophical stand for those readers who are interested.

(1) Political Philosophy: The New Australian stands for the classical
liberalism of people such as John Locke, America’s Founding Fathers,
Lord Acton, and the English Whigs. American readers need to note that
the word ‘liberal’ has long been corrupted in their country, and now means
the opposite of its correct meaning. British readers should note that we totally
reject the condescending paternalism of the old Conservative Party. However,
we broadly support Margaret Thatcher, whose philosophy was not Tory, but
Whig, and filled the space vacated by the collapse of the Liberal Party.

Australian readers should note that there has never been a tradition of
genuine liberalism in their country. Sir Robert Menzies and his Liberal
Party represented a kind of benign toryism, not true liberalism. It needs to be
clearly stated that we are not anarchists, or so-called ‘libertarians’. We do not
oppose government as such, but believe in the necessity for a strong, honest,
decentralized, and limited government if freedom is to be
preserved.

(2) Economics: Here we are fairly closely aligned with the Austrian school
of economics: that of Karl Menger, Böhm-Bawerk, Ludwig von Mises, and
Friedrich Hayek (Nobel Prize laureate 1976). hese are the major creative
scholars in Austrian school economics. There are many other Austrian school
economists around the world. The Austrian school demonstrates how a free society,
which necessarily includes a free economy, maximizes human opportunity, culture, and
non-wasteful wealth creation. It accepts that human behavior is far too complex to be
mathematizable, but it is the only school of
economics with a successful predictive record in the laboratory of economic
history, and consequently the only form of economic analysis which can correctly
be described as scientific.

We do have some common ground with certain economists outside the Austrian
school, such as Milton Freidman.

(3) Law: We believe that the legal structure of a country should be clearly defined,
objective, non-partisan, and basically concerned with the protection of life and
property. We believe that most matters requiring government intervention or definition
should be handled at a local level, with the
central government only concerned with defense, and the definition and
protection of non invasive rights. We reject the collectivist idea that the law is
an appropriate vehicle for the orchestration of people’s peaceful behavior.

(4) Religion: We believe in the separation of church and state as a necessity
for a free society. The New Australian’s attitude to religion is one of broad
tolerance;
its editor is a Christian, and its assistant editor a life-long atheist.

(5) Epistemology: We stand for objectivity, reason, and scientific analysis. We do
not cling desperately to outmoded doctrines that have provably failed.

(6) Technique: We present our ideas in a strongly polemical form. This is a valid
tradition in intellectual discourse, and one that the left has employed shamelessly
for the duration of this century. We make no apologies for it.

(7) Those whom we criticize have a full right of reply, and are given as much space
as they need. So far, no journalist has accepted this offer.

Charles Murton
Assistant Editor

The New Australian

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.

A<>E<>R