concerned about the negative image of Army troops with weapons in a
public-housing area. He said the Army never called back, and 'the first time I
heard about it after that was after it had already happened.'"

The Philadelphia Inquirer, May 18, 1999
Army uses Chester public housing for training exercises

Troops came in with explosives and ammunition. The units are vacant. Still,
neighbors and some officials were shocked.

By Dan Hardy

INQUIRER SUBURBAN STAFF

CHESTER -- Acting under the cloak of darkness, 100 Army Special Operations
troops descended on two vacant public-housing complexes in three training
exercises that terrified nearby residents and surprised even the housing
director.

"It was just a special-operations training in an urban environment, practicing
how they would look at a target building and how they would attack it," Army
Special Operations spokesman Walter Sokalski said. He said the troops, based
at Fort Bragg, N.C., used special-training ammunition that disintegrates on
contact and small explosives designed to blow in doors.

He said Chester residents "were at no time at risk" during the operations,
which were carried out on Wednesday night at McCaffery Village in the West End
and on Saturday and Sunday nights in Lamokin Village near the Commodore Barry
Bridge. Both complexes are slated to be demolished and rebuilt.

Residents of the areas around the two projects, some of whom were notified
hours beforehand of a "law-enforcement training exercise," said they found the
experience startling and intimidating.

"There was a whole lot of noise, like bombs exploding and people shooting off
automatic weapons," said Manuel Cooper, who lives across Highland Avenue from
the McCaffery training site. "I saw people running in and out of buildings
with pistols in their hands like they were really after somebody. It really
had the kids scared; I would have thought they could have picked a better
place."

Michael Lundy, executive director of the Chester Housing Authority, said he
was told a month ago that the military was considering a training operation.
He said he could not agree with it "right on the spot" because he was
concerned about the negative image of Army troops with weapons in a
public-housing area. He said the Army never called back, and "the first time I
heard about it after that was after it had already happened."

Sokalski said there was little advance notification because "we have to
protect what we call our tactics, techniques and procedures. If any future
foreign enemy knows what we do, how we do it and the way we go about doing it,
the things we have learned and trained upon are of no value. We have wasted
our time."

The more than 20 other urban counterterrorism exercises by the Army across the
country since 1994 have provoked similar reactions. In March 1997, the City of
Charlotte, N.C., evicted the Army after the first night of a would-be
three-night stand after public outcry. Likewise, the Army cut short its stays
in Houston and Pittsburgh when its activities, which typically involve
fatigue-clad soldiers bearing arms and setting off minor charges, prompted
fears.

Most Special Operations training is conducted at military facilities, Sokalski
said. Exercises like the one in Chester are "a means for a commander to test
his [troops'] training in other environments. . . . If you want the best
soldiers on your side, then they have to be well-trained by repetition and by
doing it in different environments."
Residents a few blocks away from the McCaffery Village training site were not
told about the exercise.

"I heard a loud noise like an explosion," said Elmira Green, who lives about
two blocks from the staging area. "About three minutes later, there was
another one and the sound of shooting. I was terrified. I was frozen in a
state of confusion; I was so scared I couldn't sleep all night."
Chester was picked for the operation, Sokalski said, partly because there was
a high degree of cooperation from local officials.

"We contacted the mayor, the police, the fire department and the [ Chester
Housing Authority ] director of technical services," he said. "They said, 'We
have the authority to sign the paper' [authorizing the training]. We don't
contradict these folks by going and checking with other people. We had what we
thought were all the correct blocks checked."

But Lundy, who oversees the Housing Authority, said he did not know about it.
His public-safety director, Joseph Anthony, had been called at the last minute
and told to help out. "He was given the impression that I knew about the
operation and had sanctioned it," Lundy said. "That was not the case."

Mayor Dominic F. Pileggi did not return repeated calls for comment yesterday.

Police Commissioner Wendell N. Butler Jr. said: " [ Army Special Operations
Command officials] gave me their credentials and said they wanted to use a
federal housing site. I didn't get the impression that if I said no, they
couldn't do it."

Butler said he urged the Army representatives to get in touch with Lundy. "I
certainly gave them his name," he said. "I thought they were on the same
page."

Yesterday, State Rep. Thaddeus Kirkland (D., Delaware), who represents
Chester, decried the operation: "I think it's totally wrong. You don't hold
Army covert operations in a residential setting. . . . I don't see them doing
this in any other neighborhoods or communities. It seems like if it's Chester,
they just do what they want to do. . . . What did we get out of this, except
for a bunch of frightened people and a lot of confusion?"

Sokalski took a different view.

"This training is important," he said. "It has proven itself in numerous
operations that the U.S. Army has conducted. This Army saves lives. We want to
thank the communities for being a part of saving people's lives in the
future."

© 1998 Philadelphia Newspapers Inc.

=================================
Robert F. Tatman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Remove "nospam" from the address to reply.

NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is
distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in
receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For

more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

POSTING THIS MESSAGE TO THE INTERNET DOES NOT IMPLY PERMISSION TO SEND
UNSOLICITED COMMERCIAL E-MAIL (SPAM) TO THIS OR ANY OTHER INTERNET ADDRESS.
RECEIPT OF SPAM WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE NOTIFICATION OF THE SENDER'S ISP.

http://webmail.netscape.com.