-Caveat Lector-

from:
http://www.consortiumnews.com/
<A HREF="http://www.consortiumnews.com/">The Consortium</A>
-----
May 26, 1999

The US-Guatemala File

By Robert Parry

The modern Guatemalan tragedy traces back to 1954 and a CIA-engineered
coup against the reform-minded government of Jacobo Arbenz. But other
lesser-known chapters in the blood-soaked saga -- spanning 40 years --
also feature American officials in important supporting roles.

Newly released U.S. government documents describe in chilling detail,
often in cold bureaucratic language, how American advisers and their
Cold War obsession spurred on the killings and hid the horrible secrets.

In the mid-1960s, for instance, the Guatemalan security forces were
disorganized, suffering from internal divisions, and possibly
infiltrated by leftist opponents. So, the U.S. government dispatched
U.S. public safety adviser John Longon from his base in Venezuela.

Arriving in late 1965, Longon sized up the problem and began
reorganizing the Guatemalan security forces into a more efficient - and
ultimately, more lethal - organization. In a Jan. 4, 1966, report on his
activities, Longon said he recommended both overt and covert components
to the military's battle against "terrorism."

One of Longon's strategies was to seal off sections of Guatemala City
and begin house-to-house searches. "The idea behind this was to force
some of the wanted communists out of hiding and into police hands, as
well as to convince the Guatemalan public that the authorities were
doing something to control the situation." Longon also arranged for U.S.
advisers to begin giving "day-to-day operational advice" to Guatemalan
police.

On the covert side, Longon pressed for "a safe house [to] be immediately
set up" for coordination of security intelligence. "A room was
immediately prepared in the [Presidential] Palace for this purpose and …
Guatemalans were immediately designated to put this operation into
effect." Longon's operation within the presidential compound was the
starting point for the infamous "Archivos" intelligence unit that became
the clearinghouse for political assassinations.

Longon's final recommendations sought assignment of special U.S.
advisers to assist in the covert operations and delivery of special
intelligence equipment, presumably for spying on Guatemalan citizens.
With the American input, the Guatemalan security forces soon became one
of the most feared counterinsurgency operations in Latin America.

Just two months after Longon's report, a secret CIA cable noted the
clandestine execution of several Guatemalan "communists and terrorists"
on the night of March 6, 1966. By the end of the year, the Guatemalan
government was bold enough to request U.S. help in establishing special
kidnapping squads, according to a cable from the U.S. Southern Command
that was forwarded to Washington on Dec. 3.

By 1967, the Guatemalan counterinsurgency terror had gained a fierce
momentum. On Oct. 23, 1967, the State Department's Bureau of
Intelligence and Research noted the "accumulating evidence that the
[Guatemalan] counter-insurgency machine is out of control." The report
noted that Guatemalan "counter-terror" units were carrying out
abductions, bombings, torture and summary executions "of real and
alleged communists."

The mounting death toll in Guatemala disturbed some of the American
officials assigned to the country. One official, the embassy's deputy
chief of mission Viron Vaky, expressed his concerns in a remarkably
candid report that he submitted on March 29, 1968, after returning to
Washington.

Vaky framed his arguments in pragmatic, rather than moral, terms, but
his personal anguish broke through.

“The official squads are guilty of atrocities. Interrogations are
brutal, torture is used and bodies are mutilated,” Vaky wrote. “In the
minds of many in Latin America, and, tragically, especially in the
sensitive, articulate youth, we are believed to have condoned these
tactics, if not actually encouraged them.

“Therefore our image is being tarnished and the credibility of our
claims to want a better and more just world are increasingly placed in
doubt. I need hardly add the aspect of domestic U.S. reactions.

“This leads to an aspect I personally find the most disturbing of all --
that we have not been honest with ourselves. We have condoned
counter-terror; we may even in effect have encouraged or blessed it. We
have been so obsessed with the fear of insurgency that we have
rationalized away our qualms and uneasiness.

“This is not only because we have concluded we cannot do anything about
it, for we never really tried. Rather we suspected that maybe it is a
good tactic, and that as long as Communists are being killed it is
alright. Murder, torture and mutilation are alright if our side is doing
it and the victims are Communists.

“After all hasn't man been a savage from the beginning of time so let us
not be too queasy about terror. I have literally heard these arguments
from our people.

“Have our values been so twisted by our adversary concept of politics in
the hemisphere? Is it conceivable that we are so obsessed with
insurgency that we are prepared to rationalize murder as an acceptable
counter-insurgency weapon? Is it possible that a nation which so revers
the principle of due process of law has so easily acquiesced in this
sort of terror tactic?”

Though kept secret from the American public for three decades, the Vaky
memo obliterated any claim that Washington simply didn't know the
reality in Guatemala. Still, with Vaky's memo squirreled away in State
Department files, the killing went on. The repression was noted almost
routinely in reports from the field.

On Jan. 12, 1971, the Defense Intelligence Agency reported that
Guatemalan forces had "quietly eliminated" hundreds of "terrorists and
bandits" in the countryside. On Feb. 4, 1974, a State Department cable
reported resumption of "death squad" activities.

On Dec. 17, 1974, a DIA biography of one U.S.-trained Guatemalan officer
gave an insight into how U.S. counterinsurgency doctrine had imbued the
Guatemalan strategies. According to the biography, Lt. Col. Elias
Osmundo Ramirez Cervantes, chief of security section for Guatemala's
president, had trained at the U.S. Army School of Intelligence at Fort
Holabird in Maryland.

Fort Holabird was the center for Project X, the distillation of U.S.
lessons learned in conducting counterinsurgency warfare.

Begun in the mid-1960s, Project X employed veterans of the Phoenix
Program in Vietnam who shared their experiences on effective methods of
interrogation, coercion and ambushes. [For details, see Robert Parry's
Lost History.]

Back in Guatemala, Lt. Col. Ramirez Cervantes was put in charge of
plotting raids on suspected subversives as well as their interrogations.

As brutal as the security forces were in the 1960s and 1970s, the worst
was yet to come. In the 1980s, the Guatemalan army escalated its
slaughter of political dissidents and their suspected supporters to
unprecedented levels.

For the full documents, see the National Security Archive’s Web site at
www.seas.gwu.edu/nsarchive/
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.