</A>
-----
Laissez Faire City Times
May 31, 1999 - Volume 3, Issue 22
Editor & Chief: Emile Zola
Chaos and Fractals in Financial Markets

Part 1

by J. Orlin Grabbe

Prologue: The Rolling of the Golden Apple

In 1776, a year in which political rebels in Philadelphia were
proclaiming their independence and freedom, a physicist in Europe was
proclaiming total dependence and determinism. According to Pierre-Simon
Laplace, if you knew the initial conditions of any situation, you could
determine the future far in advance: "The present state of the system of
nature is evidently a consequence of what it was in the preceding
moment, and if we conceive of an intelligence which at a given instant
comprehends all the relations of the entities of this universe, it could
state the respective positions, motions, and general effects of all
these entities at any time in the past or future."

The Laplacian universe is just a giant pool table. If you know where the
balls were, and you hit and bank them correctly, the right ball will
always go into the intended pocket.

Laplace's hubris in his ability (or that of his "intelligence") to
forecast the future was completely consistent with the equations and
point of view of classical mechanics. Laplace had not encountered
nonequilibrium thermodynamics, quantum physics, or chaos. Today some
people are frightened by the very notion of chaos. (I have explored this
at length in an essay devoted to chaos from a philosophical perspective.
But the same is also true with respect to the somewhat related
mathematical notion of chaos.) Today there is no justification for a
Laplacian point of view.

At the beginning of this century, the mathematician Henri Poincaré, who
was studying planetary motion, began to get an inkling of the basic
problem:

"It may happen that small differences in the initial conditions produce
very great ones in the final phenomena. A small error in the former will
produce an enormous error in the latter. Prediction becomes impossible"
(1903).

In other words, he began to realize "deterministic" isn’t what it’s
often cracked up to be, even leaving aside the possibility of other,
nondeterministic systems. An engineer might say to himself: "I know
where a system is now. I know the location of this (planet, spaceship,
automobile, fulcrum, molecule) almost precisely. Therefore I can predict
its position X days in the future with a margin of error precisely
related to the error in my initial observations."

Yeah. Well, that’s not saying much. The prediction error may explode off
to infinity at an exponential rate (read the discussion of Lyapunov
exponents later). Even God couldn’t deal with the margin of error, if
the system is chaotic. (There is no omniscience. Sorry.) And it gets
even worse, if the system is nondeterministic.

The distant future? You’ll know it when you see it, and that’s the first
time you’ll have a clue. (This statement will be slightly modified when
we discuss a system’s global properties.)

I Meet Chaos

I first came across something called "dynamical systems" while I was at
the University of California at Berkeley. But I hadn't paid much
attention to them. I went through Berkeley very fast, and didn't have
time to screw around. But when I got to Harvard for grad school, I
bought René Thom's book Structural Stability and Morphogenesis, which
had just come out in English. The best part of the book was the photos.

Consider a crown worn by a king or a princess, in fairy tales or
sometimes in real life. Why does a crown look the way it does? Well, a
crown is kind of round, so it will fit on the head, and it has spires on
the rim, like little triangular hats—but who knows why—and sometimes on
the end of the spires are little round balls, jewels or globs of gold.
Other than the requirement that it fit on the head, the form of a crown
seems kind of arbitrary.

But right there in Thom's book was a photo of a steel ball that had been
dropped into molten lead, along with the reactive splash of the molten
liquid. The lead splash was a perfect crown--a round vertical column
rising upward, then branching into triangular spires that get thinner
and thinner (and spread out away from the center of the crown) as you
approached the tips, but instead of ending in a point, each spire was
capped with a spherical blob of lead. In other words, the shape of a
crown isn't arbitrary at all: under certain conditions its form occurs
spontaneously whenever a sphere is dropped into liquid. So the king’s
crown wasn’t created to "symbolize" this or that. The form came first, a
natural occurrence, and the interpretation came later.

The word "morphogenesis" refers to the forms things take when they grow:
bugs grow into a particular shape, as do human organs. I had read a
number of books on general systems theory by Ervin Laszlo and Ludwig von
Bertalanffy, which discuss the concepts of morphogenesis, so I was
familiar with the basic ideas. Frequent references were made to
biologist D’Arcy Thompson’s book On Growth and Form. But it was only
much later, when I began doing computer art, and chaotically created a
more or less perfectly formed ant by iterating a fifth-degree complex
equation (that is, an equation containing a variable z raised to the
fifth power, z5, where z is a complex number, such as z = .5 + 1.2
sqrt(-1) ), that I really understood the power of the idea. If the shape
of ants is arbitrary, then why in the hell do they look like
fifth-degree complex equations?

Anyway, moving along, in grad school I was looking at the forms taken by
asset prices, foreign exchange rates in particular. A foreign exchange
rate is the price that one fiat currency trades for another. But I could
have been looking at stock prices, interest rates, or commodity
prices—the principles are the same. Here the assumption is that the
systems generating the prices are nondeterministic (stochastic,
random)—but that doesn’t prevent there being hidden form, hidden order,
in the shape of probability distributions.

Reading up on price distributions, I came across some references to
Benoit Mandelbrot. Mandelbrot, an applied mathematician, had made a
splash in economics in the early-1960s with some heretical notions of
the probabilities involved in price distributions, and had acquired as a
disciple Eugene Fama [1] at the University of Chicago. But then Fama
abandoned this heresy (for alleged empirical reasons that I find
manifestly absurd), and everyone breathed a sigh of relief and returned
to the familiar world of least squares, and price distributions that
were normal (as they believed) in the social sense as well as the
probability sense of a "normal" or Gaussian distribution.

In economics, when you deal with prices, you first take logs, and then
look at the changes between the logs of prices [2]. The changes between
these log prices are what are often referred to as the price
distribution. They may, for example, form a Bell-shaped curve around a
mean of zero. In that case, the changes between logs would have a normal
(Gaussian) distribution, with a mean of zero, and a standard deviation
of whatever. (The actual prices themselves would have a lognormal
 distribution. But that’s not what is meant by "non-normal" in most
economic contexts, because the usual reference is to changes in the logs
of prices, and not to the actual prices themselves.)

At the time I first looked at non-normal distributions, they were very
much out of vogue in economics. There was even active hostility to the
idea there could be such things in real markets. Many people had their
nice set of tools and results that would be threatened (or at least they
thought would be threatened) if you changed their probability
assumptions. Most people had heard of Mandelbrot, but curiously no one
seemed to have the slightest clue as to what the actual details of the
issue were. It was like option pricing theory in many ways: it wasn’t
taught in economic departments at the time, because none of the
professors understood it.

I went over to the Harvard Business School library to read Mandelbrot’s
early articles. The business school library was better organized than
the library at the Economics Department, and it had a better collection
of books and journals, and it was extremely close to where I lived on
the Charles River in Cambridge. In one of the articles, Mandelbrot said
that the ideas therein were first presented to an economic audience in
Hendrik Houthakker’s international economics seminar at Harvard. Bingo.
I had taken international finance from Houthakker and went to talk to
him about Mandelbrot. Houthakker had been a member of Richard Nixon’s
Council of Economic Advisors, and was famous for the remark: "[Nixon]
had no strong interest in international economic affairs, as shown by an
incident recorded on the Watergate tapes where Haldeman comes in and
wants to talk about the Italian lira. His response was ‘[expletive
deleted] the Italian lira!’"

Houthakker told me he had studied the distribution of cotton futures
prices and didn’t believe they had a normal distribution. He had given
the same data to Mandelbrot. He told me Mandelbrot was back in the U.S.
from a sojourn in France, and that he had seen him a few weeks
previously, and Mandelbrot had a new book he was showing around. I went
over to the Harvard Coop (that’s pronounced "coupe" as in "a two-door
coupe", no French accent) and found a copy of Mandelbrot’s book. Great
photos! That’s when I learned what a fractal was, and ended up writing
two of the three essays in my PhD thesis on fractal price distributions
[3].

Fractals led me back into chaos, because maps (graphics) of chaos
equations create fractal patterns.

Preliminary Pictures and Poems

The easiest way to begin to explain an elephant is to first show someone
a picture. You point and say, "Look. Elephant." So here’s a picture of a
fractal, something called a Sierpenski carpet [4]:

Notice that it has a solid blue square in the center, with 8 additional
smaller squares around the center one.

1

2

3

8

center square

4

7

6

5

Each of the 8 smaller squares looks just like the original square.
Multiply each side of a smaller square by 3 (increasing the area by 3 x
3 = 9), and you get the original square. Or, doing the reverse, divide
each side of the original large square by 3, and you end up with one of
the 8 smaller squares. At a scale factor of 3, all the squares look the
same (leaving aside the disgarded center square).

You get 8 copies of the original square at a scale factor of 3. Later we
will see that this defines a fractal dimension of log 8 / log 3 =
1.8927. (I said later. Don’t worry about it now. Just notice that the
dimension is not a nice round number like 2 or 3.)

Each of the smaller squares can also be divided up the same way: a
center blue square surrounded by 8 even smaller squares. So the original
8 small squares can be divided into a total of 64 even smaller
 squares—each of which will look like the original big square if you
multiply its sides by 9. So the fractal dimension is log 64 / log 9 =
1.8927. (You didn’t expect the dimension to change, did you?) In a
factal, this process goes on forever.

Meanwhile, without realizing it, we have just defined a fractal (or
Hausdorf ) dimension. If the number of small squares is N at a scale
factor of r, then these two numbers are related by the fractal dimension
D:

N = rD .

Or, taking logs, we have D = log N / log r.

The same things keep appearing when we scale by r, because the object we
are dealing with has a fractal dimension of D.

Here is a poem about fractal fleas:

Great fleas have little fleas, upon their backs to bite 'em
And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so ad infinitum,
And the great fleas themselves, in turn, have greater fleas to go on,
While these again have greater still, and greater still, and so on.

Okay. So much for a preliminary look at fractals. Let’s take a
preliminary look at chaos, by asking what a dynamical system is.

Dynamical Systems

What is a dynamical system? Here’s one: Johnny grows 2 inches a year.
 This system explains how Johnny’s height changes over time. Let x(n) be
Johnny’s height this year. Let his height next year be written as
x(n+1). Then we can write the dynamical system in the form of an
equation as:

x(n+1) = x(n) + 2.

See? Isn’t math simple? If we plug Johnny’s current height of x(n) = 38
inches in the right side of the equation, we get Johnny’s height next
year, x(n+1) = 40 inches:

x(n+1) = x(n) + 2 = 38 + 2 = 40.

Going from the right side of the equation to the left is called an
iteration. We can iterate the equation again by plugging Johnny’s new
height of 40 inches into the right side of the equation (that is, let
x(n)=40), and we get x(n+1) = 42. If we iterate the equation 3 times, we
get Johnny’s height in 3 years, namely 44 inches, starting from a height
of 38 inches).

This is a deterministic dynamical system. If we wanted to make it
nondeterministic (stochastic), we could let the model be: Johnny grows 2
inches a year, more or less, and write the equation as:

x(n+1) = x(n) + 2 + e

where e is a small error term (small relative to 2), and represents a
drawing from some probability distribution.

Let's return to the original deterministic equation. The original
equation, x(n+1) = x(n) + 2, is linear. Linear means you either add
variables or constants or multiply variables by constants. The equation

z(n+1) = z(n) + 5 y(n) –2 x(n)

is linear, for example. But if you multiply variables together, or raise
them to a power other than one, the equation (system) is nonlinear. For
example, the equation

x(n+1) = x(n)2

is nonlinear because x(n) is squared. The equation

z = xy

is nonlinear because two variables, x and y, are multiplied together.

Okay. Enough of this. What is chaos? Here is a picture of chaos. The
lines show how a dynamical system (in particular, a Lorenz system)
changes over time in three-dimensional space. Notice how the line (path,
trajectory) loops around and around, never intersecting itself.

Notice also that the system keeps looping around two general areas, as
though it were drawn to them. The points from where a system feels
compelled to go in a certain direction are called the basin of
attraction. The place it goes to is called the attractor.

Here’s an equation whose attractor is a single point, zero:

x(n+1) = .9 x(n) .

No matter what value you start with for x(n), the next value, x(n+1), is
only 90 percent of that. If you keep iterating the equation, the value
of x(n+1) approaches zero. Since the attractor in this case is only a
single point, it is called a one-point attractor.

Some attractors are simple circles or odd-shaped closed loops—like a
piece of string with the ends connected. These are called limit cycles.

Other attractors, like the Lorenz attractor above, are really weird.
Strange. They are called strange attractors.

Okay. Now let’s define chaos.

What is Chaos?

What are the characteristics of chaos? First, chaotic systems are
nonlinear and follow trajectories (paths, highways) that end up on
non-intersecting loops called strange attractors. Let's begin by
understanding what these two terms mean.

I am going to repeat some things I said in the previous section. Déjà
vu. But, as in the movie The Matrix, déjà vu can communicate useful
information. All over again.

Classical systems of equations from physics were linear. Linear simply
means that outputs are proportional to inputs. Proportional means you
either multiply the inputs by constants to get the output, or add a
constant to the inputs to get the output, or both. For example, here is
a simple linear equation from the capital-asset pricing model used in
corporate finance:

E(R) = a + b E(Rm).

It says the expected return on a stock, E(R), is proportional to the
return on the market, E(Rm). The input is E(Rm). You multiply it by b
 ("beta"), then add a ("alpha") to the result—to get the output E(R).
This defines a linear equation.

Equations which cannot be obtained by multiplying isolated variables
(not raised to any power except the first) by constants, and adding them
together, are nonlinear. The equation y = x2 is nonlinear because it
uses a power of two: namely, x squared. The equation z = 4xy-10 is
nonlinear because a variable x is multipled by a variable y.

The equation z = 5+ 3x-4y-10z is linear, because each variable is
multiplied only by a constant, and the terms are added together. If we
multiply this last equation by 7, it is still linear: 7z = 35 + 21x –
28y – 70z. If we multiply it by the variable y, however, it becomes
nonlinear: zy = 5y + 3xy-4y2-10zy.

The science of chaos looks for characteristic patterns that appear in
complex systems. Unless these patterns were exceedingly simple, like a
single equilibrium point ("the equilibrium price of gold is $300"), or a
simple closed or oscillatory curve (a circle or a sine wave, for
example), the patterns are referred to as strange attractors.

Such patterns are traced out by self-organizing systems. Names other
than strange attractor may be used in different areas of science. In
biology (or sociobiology) one refers to collective patterns of animal
(or social) behavior. In Jungian psychology, such patterns may be called
archetypes [5].

The main feature of chaos is that simple deterministic systems can
generate what appears to be random behavior. Think of what this means.
On the good side, if we observe what appears to be complicated, random
behavior, perhaps it is being generated by a few deterministic rules.
And maybe we can discover what these are. Maybe life isn't so
complicated after all. On the bad side, suppose we have a simple
deterministic system. We may think we understand it  it looks so simple.
But it may turn out to have exceedingly complex properties. In any case,
chaos tells us that whether a given random-appearing behavior is at
basis random or deterministic may be undecidable. Most of us already
know this. We may have used random number generators (really pseudo
-random number generators) on the computer. The "random" numbers in this
case were produced by simple deterministic equations.

I’m Sensitive—Don’t Perturb Me

Chaotic systems are very sensitive to initial conditions. Suppose we
have the following simple system (called a logistic equation) with a
single variable, appearing as input, x(n), and output, x(n+1):

x(n+1) = 4 x(n) [1-x(n)].

The input is x(n). The output is x(n+1). The system is nonlinear,
because if you multiply out the right hand side of the equation, there
is an x(n)2 term. So the output is not proportional to the input. Let's
play with this system. Let x(n) = .75. The output is

4 (.75) [1- .75] = .75.

That is, x(n+1) = .75. If this were an equation describing the price
behavior of a market, the market would be in equilibrium, because
today’s price (.75) would generate the same price tomorrow. If x(n) and
x(n+1) were expectations, they would be self-fulfilling. Given today's
price of x(n) = .75, tomorrow's price will be x(n+1) = .75. The value
.75 is called a fixed point of the equation, because using it as an
input returns it as an output. It stays fixed, and doesn't get
transformed into a new number.

But, suppose the market starts out at x(0) = .7499. The output is

4 (.7499) [1-.7499] = .7502 = x(1).

Now using the previous day's output x(1) = .7502 as the next input, we
get as the new output:

4 (.7502) [1-.7502] = .7496 = x(2).

And so on. Going from one set of inputs to an output is called an
iteration. Then, in the next iteration, the new output value is used as
the input value, to get another output value. The first 100 iterations
of the logistic equation, starting with x(0) = .7499, are shown in Table
1.

Finally, we repeat the entire process, using as our first input x(0) =
.74999. These results are also shown in Table 1. Each set of solution
paths—x(n), x(n+1), x(n+2), etc.—are called trajectories. Table 1 shows
three different trajectories for three different starting values of
x(0).

Look at iteration number 20. If you started with x(0) = .75, you have
x(20) = .75. But if you started with
x(0) = .7499, you get x(20) = .359844. Finally, if you started with x(0)
= .74999, you get x(20) = .995773. Clearly a small change in the
intitial starting value causes a large change in the outcome after a few
steps. The equation is very sensitive to initial conditions.

A meteorologist name Lorenz discovered this phenomena in 1963 at MIT
[6]. He was rounding off his weather prediction equations at certain
intervals from six to three decimals, because his printed output only
had three decimals. Suddenly he realized that the entire sequence of
later numbers he was getting were different. Starting from two nearby
points, the trajectories diverged from each other rapidly. This implied
that long-term weather prediction was impossible. He was dealing with
chaotic equations.

Table 1: First One Hundred Iterations of the Equation
x(n+1) = 4 x(n) [1- x(n)] with Different Values of x(0).

x(0):
.75000
.74990
.74999
Iteration
1
.7500000
.750200
.750020
2
.7500000
.749600
.749960
3
.7500000
.750800
.750080
4
.7500000
.748398
.749840
5
.7500000
.753193
.750320
6
.7500000
.743573
.749360
7
.7500000
.762688
.751279
8
.7500000
.723980
.747436
9
.7500000
.799332
.755102
10
.7500000
.641601
.739691
11
.7500000
.919796
.770193
12
.7500000
.295084
.707984
13
.7500000
.832038
.826971
14
.7500000
.559002
.572360
15
.7500000
.986075
.979056
16
.7500000
.054924
.082020
17
.7500000
.207628
.301170
18
.7500000
.658075
.841867
19
.7500000
.900049
.532507
20
.7500000
.359844
.995773
21
.7500000
.921426
.016836
22
.7500000
.289602
.066210
23
.7500000
.822930
.247305
24
.7500000
.582864
.744581
25
.7500000
.972534
.760720
26
.7500000
.106845
.728099
27
.7500000
.381716
.791883
28
.7500000
.944036
.659218
29
.7500000
.211328
.898598
30
.7500000
.666675
.364478
31
.7500000
.888878
.926535
32
.7500000
.395096
.272271
33
.7500000
.955981
.792558
34
.7500000
.168326
.657640
35
.7500000
.559969
.900599
36
.7500000
.985615
.358082
37
.7500000
.056712
.919437
38
.7500000
.213985
.296289
39
.7500000
.672781
.834008
40
.7500000
.880587
.553754
41
.7500000
.420613
.988442
42
.7500000
.974791
.045698
43
.7500000
.098295
.174440
44
.7500000
.354534
.576042
45
.7500000
.915358
.976870
46
.7500000
.309910
.090379
47
.7500000
.855464
.328843
48
.7500000
.494582
.882822
49
.7500000
.999883
.413790
50
.7500000
.000470
.970272
51
.7500000
.001877
.115378
52
.7500000
.007495
.408264
53
.7500000
.029756
.966338
54
.7500000
.115484
.130115
55
.7500000
.408589
.452740
56
.7500000
.966576
.991066
57
.7500000
.129226
.035417
58
.7500000
.450106
.136649
59
.7500000
.990042
.471905
60
.7500000
.039434
.996843
61
.7500000
.151515
.012589
62
.7500000
.514232
.049723
63
.7500000
.999190
.189001
64
.7500000
.003238
.613120
65
.7500000
.012911
.948816
66
.7500000
.050976
.194258
67
.7500000
.193508
.626087
68
.7500000
.624252
.936409
69
.7500000
.938246
.238190
70
.7500000
.231761
.725821
71
.7500000
.712191
.796019
72
.7500000
.819899
.649491
73
.7500000
.590658
.910609
74
.7500000
.967125
.325600
75
.7500000
.127178
.878338
76
.7500000
.444014
.427440
77
.7500000
.987462
.978940
78
.7500000
.049522
.082465
79
.7500000
.188278
.302657
80
.7500000
.611319
.844223
81
.7500000
.950432
.526042
82
.7500000
.188442
.997287
83
.7500000
.611727
.010822
84
.7500000
.950068
.042818
85
.7500000
.189755
.163938
86
.7500000
.614991
.548250
87
.7500000
.947108
.990688
88
.7500000
.200378
.036901
89
.7500000
.640906
.142159
90
.7500000
.920582
.487798
91
.7500000
.292444
.999404
92
.7500000
.827682
.002381
93
.7500000
.570498
.009500
94
.7500000
.980120
.037638
95
.7500000
.077939
.144886
96
.7500000
.287457
.495576
97
.7500000
.819301
.999922
98
.7500000
.592186
.000313
99
.7500000
.966007
.001252
100
.7500000
.131350
.005003

The different solution trajectories of chaotic equations form patterns
called strange attractors. If similar patterns appear in the strange
attractor at different scales (larger or smaller, governed by some
multiplier or scale factor r, as we saw previously), they are said to be
fractal. They have a fractal dimension D, governed by the relationship N
= rD. Chaos equations like the one here (namely, the logistic equation)
generate fractal patterns.

Why Chaos?

Why chaos? Does it have a physical or biological function? The answer is
yes.

One role of chaos is the prevention of entrainment. In the old days,
marching soldiers used to break step when marching over bridges, because
the natural vibratory rate of the bridge might become entrained with the
soldiers' steps, and the bridge would become increasingly unstable and
collapse. (That is, the bridge would be destroyed due to bad vibes.)
Chaos, by contrast, allows individual components to function somewhat
independently.

A chaotic world economic system is desirable in itself. It prevents the
development of an international business cycle, whereby many national
economies enter downturns simultaneously. Otherwise national business
cycles may become harmonized so that many economies go into recession at
the same time. Macroeconomic policy co-ordination through G7 (G8,
whatever) meetings, for example, risks the creation of economic
entrainment, thereby making the world economy less robust to the
absorption of shocks.

"A chaotic system with a strange attractor can actually dissipate
disturbance much more rapidly. Such systems are highly initial-condition
sensitive, so it might seem that they cannot dissipate disturbance at
all. But if the system possesses a strange attractor which makes all the
trajectories acceptable from the functional point of view, the
initial-condition sensitivity provides the most effective mechanism for
dissipating disturbance" [7].

In other words, because the system is so sensitive to initial
conditions, the initial conditions quickly become unimportant, provided
it is the strange attractor itself that delivers the benefits. Ary
Goldberger of the Harvard Medical School has argued that a healthy heart
is chaotic [8]. This comes from comparing electrocardiograms of normal
individuals with heart-attack patients. The ECG’s of healthy patients
have complex irregularities, while those about to have a heart attack
show much simpler rhythms.

How Fast Do Forecasts Go Wrong?—The Lyapunov Exponent

The Lyapunov exponent l is a measure of the exponential rate of
divergence of neighboring trajectories.

We saw that a small change in the initial conditions of the logistic
equation (Table 1) resulted in widely divergent trajectories after a few
iterations. How fast these trajectories diverge is a measure of our
ability to forecast.

For a few iterations, the three trajectories of Table 1 look pretty much
the same. This suggests that short-term prediction may be possible. A
prediction of "x(n+1) = .75", based solely on the first trajectory,
starting at x(0) = .75, will serve reasonably well for the other two
trajectories also, at least for the first few iterations. But, by
iteration 20, the values of x(n+1) are quite different among the three
trajectories. This suggests that long-term prediction is impossible.

So let's think about the short term. How short is it? How fast do
trajectories diverge due to small observational errors, small shocks, or
other small differences? That’s what the Lyapunov exponent tells us.

Let e denote the error in our initial observation, or the difference in
two initial conditions. In Table 1, it could represent the difference
between .75 and .7499, or between .75 and .74999.

Let R be a distance (plus or minus) around a reference trajectory, and
suppose we ask the question: how quickly does a second trajectory  which
includes the error e   get outside the range R? The answer is a function
of the number of steps n, and the Lyapunov exponent l , according to the
following equation (where "exp" means the exponential e = 2.7182818…,
the basis of the natural logarithms):

R = e · exp(l n).

For example, it can be shown that the Lyapunov exponent of the logistic
equation is l = log 2 = .693147 [9]. So in this instance, we have R =e ·
 exp(.693147 n ).

So, let’s do a sample calculation, and compare with the results we got
in Table 1.

Sample Calculation Using a Lyapunov Exponent

In Table 1 we used starting values of .75, .7499, and .74999. Suppose we
ask the question, how long (at what value of n) does it take us to get
out of the range of +.01 or -.01 from our first (constant) trajectory of
x(n) = .75? That is, with a slightly different starting value, how many
steps does it take before the system departs from the interval (.74,
.76)?

In this case the distance R = .01. For the second trajectory, with a
starting value of .7499, the change in the initial condition is e =
.0001 (that is, e = 75-.7499). Hence, applying the equation R = e · exp(
l n), we have

.01 = .0001 exp (.693147 n).

Solving for n, we get n = 6.64. Looking at Table 1, we see that that for
n = 7 (the 7th iteration), the value is x(7) = .762688, and that this is
the first value that has gone outside the interval (.74, .76).

Similarly, for the third trajectory, with a starting value of .74999,
the change in the initial condition is e = .00001 (i.e., . e =
75-.74999). Applying the equation R = e · exp(l n) yields

.01 = .00001 exp (.693147 n).

Which solves to n = 9.96. Looking at Table 1, we see that for n = 10
(the 10th iteration), we have x(10) = .739691, and this is the first
value outside the interval (.74, .76) for this trajectory.

In this sample calculation, the system diverges because the Lyapunov
exponent is positive. If it were the case the Lyapunov exponent were
negative, l < 0, then exp(l n) would get smaller with each step. So it
must be the case that l > 0 for the system to be chaotic.

Note also that the particular logistic equation, x(n+1) = 4 x(n)
[1-x(n)], which we used in Table 1, is a simple equation with only one
variable, namely x(n). So it has only one Lyapunov exponent. In general,
a system with M variables may have as many as M Lyapunov exponents. In
that case, an attractor is chaotic if at least one of its Lyapunov
exponents is positive.

The Lyapunov exponent for an equation f (x(n)) is the average absolute
value of the natural logarithm (log) of its derivative:

l = S (1/n) log |df /dx(n)|      n ®&yen

For example, the derivative of the right-hand side of the logistic
equation

x(n+1) = 4 x(n)[1-x(n)] = 4 x(n) – 4 x(n)2

is

4 - 8 x(n) .

Thus for the first iteration of the second trajectory in Table 1, where
x(n) = .7502, we have | df /dx(n)| =
| 4[1-2 (.7502)] | = 2.0016, and log (2.0016) = .6939. If we sum over
this and subsequent values, and take the average, we have the Lyapunov
exponent. In this case the first term is already close to the true
value. But it doesn't matter. We can start with x(0) = .1, and obtain
the Lyapunov exponent. This is done in Table 2, below, where after only
ten iterations the empirically calculated Lyapunov exponent is .697226,
near its true value of .693147.

Table 2: Empirical Calculation of Lyapunov Exponent from
the Logistic Equation with x(0) = .1

 x(n)
log|df/dx(n)|
Iteration:1
.360000
.113329
2
.921600
1.215743
3
.289014
.523479
4
.821939
.946049
5
.585421
-.380727
6
.970813
1.326148
7
.113339
1.129234
8
.401974
-.243079
9
.961563
1.306306
10
.147837
1.035782
Average.697226

Enough for Now

In the next part of this series, we will discuss fractals some more,
which will lead directly into economics and finance. In the meantime,
here are some exercises for eager students.

Exercise 1: Iterate the following system: x(n+1) = 2 x(n) mod 1. [By
"mod 1" is meant that only the fractional part of the result is kept.
For example, 3.1416 mod 1 = .1416.] Is this system chaotic?

Exercise 2: Calculate the Lyapunov exponent for the system in Exercise
1. Suppose you change the initial starting point x(0) by .0001.
Calculate, using the Lyapunov exponent, how many steps it takes for the
new trajectory to diverge from the previous trajectory by an amount
greater than .002.

Notes

[1] Eugene F. Fama, "Mandelbrot and the Stable Paretian Hypothesis,"
Journal of Business, 36, 420-429, 1963.

[2] If you really want to know why, read J. Aitchison and J.A.C. Brown,
The Lognormal Distribution, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1957.

[3] J. Orlin Grabbe, Three Essays in International Finance, Department
of Economics, Harvard University, 1981.

[4] The Sierpinski Carpet graphic and the following one, the Lorentz
attractor graphic, were taken from the web site of Clint Sprott:
http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/ .

[5] Ernest Lawrence Rossi, "Archetypes as Strange Attractors,"
Psychological Perspectives, 20(1), The C.G. Jung Institute of Los
Angeles, Spring-Summer 1989.

[6] E. N. Lorenz, "Deterministic Non-periodic Flow," J. Atmos. Sci., 20,
130-141, 1963.

[7] M. Conrad, "What is the Use of Chaos?", in Arun V. Holden, ed.,
Chaos, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 1986.

[8] Ary L. Goldberger, "Fractal Variability Versus Pathologic
Periodicity: Complexity Loss and Stereotypy In Disease," Perspectives in
Biology and Medicine, 40, 543-561, Summer 1997.

[9] Hans A. Lauwerier, "One-dimensional Iterative Maps," in Arun V.
Holden, ed., Chaos, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 1986.

J. Orlin Grabbe is the author of International Financial Markets, and is
an internationally recognized derivatives expert. He has recently
branched out into cryptology, banking security, and digital cash. His
home page is located at http://www.aci.net/kalliste/homepage.html .

-30-

from The Laissez Faire City Times, Vol 3, No 22, May 31, 1999
Published by
Laissez Faire City Netcasting Group, Inc.
Copyright 1998 - Trademark Registered with LFC Public Registrar
All Rights Reserved
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.