-Caveat Lector-

Yardbird wrote:

>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> > personifications of the ubiquitous solar myth and whose exploits were
> > well known, as reflected by such popular deities as Mithra,
> > Heracles/Hercules, Dionysus and many others throughout the Roman Empire
> > and beyond. The story of Jesus as portrayed in the Gospels is revealed
> > to be nearly identical in detail to that of the earlier savior-gods
> > Krishna and Horus, who for millennia preceding Christianity held great
> > favor with the people in much the same way as Jesus does today. Thus,
> > the Jesus character is not unique or original, not "divine re velation."
>
> The only 'solar deity' in the aforementioned passage is Mithras and as no
> specifically Mithraic texts have survived it's somewhat presumptuous to
> definatively equate him with Jesus. Also as far as I remember Horus was
> born to Isis after she copulated with Osiris' dead body and then battled
> Seth for control of Upper/Lower Egypt - not quite Jesus-like I'd say. And
> Krishna is the 8th avatar of Vishnu and delights in amorous dance and
> partakes of many lovers - also not quite Jesus-like in my opinion. As for
> Dionysius and Herakles...well you'd have to be a twit to see any intimate
> parallel with Jesus. You'd have much better luck comparing Jesus and
> Tammuz.
>
> Jamieson

I haven't read the book, but from what I see here, I must agree with
Yardbird to some extent.

The Jesus myth is based on a real person.

The Jesus myth was readily accepted by the pagan world because Paul,
the
inventor of Christianity, tailored it to the well known mythologies of
the
day. Godlings from god and human parents were common and easily
acceptable
to every culture except the Jews who rightly saw it as idolatry and
were
forbidden to go there by the Bible.

There is enough evidence to show conclusively the Jeshua was real
because
he left a movement well documented in the history ( not the Gospels
)of
the first century. Most of this history focusses on his brother James
and
the movement he continued after Jeshua's ( Jesus' ) death.

Joshua2