 -------- forwarded messages --------
 From: Vilik Rapheles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 To:   [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999
 Subj: [oxyplus] Couldn't resist...

 Just found the following article.  Some discussion follows:

 HARD ROCK MUSIC CREATES KILLER MICE!

 David Merrell, a high school student from Suffolk, Virginia,
 has won top honors in regional and state science fairs for his
 experiment involving mice, a maze and hard-rock music.

 After establishing a baseline of about 10 minutes for the mice to
 navigate the maze, David started playing music 10 hours a day, then
 put the mice through the maze three times a week for three weeks.

 His findings:  the control-group mice, which did not listen to any
 music, were able to cut five minutes off their time; the mice that
 listened to classical music cut 8.5 minutes off their time; and the
 mice that listened to hard-rock music took 20 minutes longer to
 navigate the maze.

 David said, "I had to cut my project short because all the
 hard-rock mice killed each other ... None of the classical mice
 did that at all."

 ~~~~~~~

 However...

 Do you remember the notorious experiment where plants thrived to
 classical music and withered with rock?  Well, subsequently it was
 determined that the person doing the experiment loved classical
 music and hated rock.  When a person was found who loved rock, and
 that person did the experiment, the results were reversed.

 I read the original news story about David and the killer mice.
 (Washington Times, 2 July 1997.)  It was clear he went into the
 experiment with predetermined beliefs about hard rock.

 "Don't let your kids listen to hard rock music," he said. "I think
 it has a major negative effect."  TO PROVE HIS POINT (captials
 added) David assembled three separate groups of 24 mice..."

 Kind of calls in question most scientific research, because most
 scientists go into an experiment with a bias.  So... do experiments
 prove "facts", or do they prove the belief system of the researcher?

 Hmmm....

 ~^^V^^~