-Caveat Lector-

>From NewStatesman

> <Picture: New Statesman Logo>

> <Picture><Picture> Just a small skirmish in Kashmir?
>
> John Elliott on why the India-Pakistan border is suddenly the world's
> most dangerous place
>
> <Picture>If Nato can bomb Milosevic in the backyard of Europe, Kosovo,
> who can complain if India bombs infiltrators from Pakistan in its own
> remote mountain region of Kashmir? Not America, which traditionally
> backs Pakistan, nor even Robin Cook, whose pro-Pakistan stubbornness
> destabilised the Queen's visit to India in 1997. For once the west
> seems to accept that difficult, proud India can have right on its
> side. Western powers even remained quiet last weekend when the Indian
> prime minister, Atal Behari Vajpayee, politely brushed aside a
> mediation offer from Kofi Annan, the UN secretary-general, and refused
> to stop the bombing till the infiltrators withdrew: shades of Nato
> determination there.
>
> Despite the similarities to Nato and Kosovo, there is more to this
> dangerous situation than just another major power starting a small
> local skirmish to bring order to a remote region. India and Pakistan
> both tested nuclear weapons a year ago, making the use of a tactical
> nuclear warhead in a Kashmir-type conflict a worrying possibility.
> These bitterly divided countries have fought three wars since they
> became independent in 1947, and the use of nuclear weapons is far more
> likely to begin in a local engagement such as Kashmir than in a
> primary attack on each other's major cities.
>
> The situation is dangerous because of its scale, too. After nearly 20
> years of sending infiltrators to make trouble in India (first during
> the Sikh unrest in Punjab in the 1980s, then in Kashmir from about
> 1989), Pakistan has gone a step too far this year. Taking advantage of
> Indian dilatoriness, Pakistan's forces infiltrated up to 1,000 men
> (its own troops and Afghan and other Islamic fundamentalists) across
> the Indian border into the 16-18,000ft peaks of the Ladakh range of
> mountains when snows began to melt earlier this year. Before the
> Indians had woken up to the seriousness of what was happening, the
> infiltrators had occupied the Indian summertime posts.
>
> There has been sporadic shelling across this border every summer for
> several years - usually started by whichever country's troops have the
> higher ground. Pakistan has the height advantage near the Indian
> truck-stop town of Kargil, on a key highway that links Srinagar,
> capital of the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir, to Leh, in Ladakh.
> Kargil was a focal point of the 1965 Indo-Pakistan war and is at the
> centre of the current conflict. This year the scale of hostilities is
> dramatically different. For the first time, the infiltrators broke
> through the line of control that marks the border between the two
> countries, and took up high positions that gave them a good chance of
> [...]

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.