-Caveat Lector-

----- Original Message -----
From: day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > A Declaration of Independence 1999
> >
> > When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one
> > people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them
> > to their leaders disloyal to the common good of the nation, and

The way for "people to dissolve the political bands which have connected
them to their leaders" in a democratic republic is to vote for someone
else.  Throw the bastards out, elect new bastards.  That's how the GOP
took the Presidency and Congress in the 80's and 90's.  Then of course
it turns out that Americans just replace one set of political bastards
with another, eh?  Does this suggest that when Americans manage dissolve
their old political bands, the new links they forge will be any less
corrupt and venial?  When politicians depend on money to survive, can
they be anything but tools of the corporate interests that feed them?

And who decides just what constitutes "the common good of the nation"
if not the American electorate, and via their votes, the politicians
we elect to office?  Ya, in our democratic republic, we get precisely
the government that we deserve.  Would another structure be superior?
How about a democratic monarchy, an oligarchic republic, a hereditary
plutocracy, a slew of anarchic fiefdoms, a genetic matriarchy, a pagan
theocracy, a randomized kleptocracy?  What's your preference?