-Caveat Lector-

Subject: Re: State street

The distinguishing characteristic of a police state is that law enforcement
looks like warfare, rather than law enforcement.  When I say "warfare" I am
referring to the acceptance of collateral casualties.  In war, we tolerate
a few deaths and injuries of innocent bystanders and civilians.  For
example, we figure an apology was sufficient for destroying the Chinese
Embassy in Beruit.

Collateral casualties are unacceptable in law enforcement.  Thus, our
founders said they would prefer to let 10 guilty men go than to punish one
innocent person.  The Bill of Rights is about law enforcement.  It is about
giving the accused every possible advantage and every benefit of any doubt.
Thus, a few guilty escape, but that's okay, because our focus is reducing
any chances of punishing the innocent.

Now, we in America have completed the transition.  Our new creed is "It is
better to punish 10 innocent men than to let one guilty person go free."
For example, the 90% who know how to enjoy drugs without endangering others
are punished in order to keep drugs out of the hands of the irresponsible
10%.  The 90% of gun owners who pose no unreasonable risk to others are
punished in order to keep guns away from the irresponsible 10%.  The 90%
who enjoy drumming in Liberty Park  have suffered while our city's finest
waged war on the 10%.  90% of the people "cleansed" from Pioneer Park were
innocent collateral casualties.  90% of the State Street Cruisers are
innocent of indecent or reckless behavior.  Our warfare mentality accepts
these casualties as part of the price we must be willing to pay to have a
perfect Olympic image for Salt Lake City.

Unfortunately, there is more to police state warfare than the collateral
casualties.  The image of the local police changes from "friends there to
protect you" to "occupying troops there to control you."  People lose their
faith and trust in the police.  When they have a problem with a neighbor,
they are less likely to call the police and more likely to throw a brick
through a window.  As more and more people see the police as their enemy,
our streets become less and less safe.  This breakdown in the moral
authority of the government is not trivial.  I believe more than a third of
today's murder victims would be alive if not for the drug war.  Prohibition
in the '20's about doubled our national murder rate.  After repeal of
prohibition, the murder rate returned to normal.  Now, with our national
drug war, the murder rate is back up to the level during prohibition.
Ending our police state mentality will save lives.

Of course, the problem did not originate in Salt Lake City.  But, as
someone once said, it should end here.  Our State and Federal governments
are working very hard to destroy the moral authority of government in
America.  By "moral authority" I mean this:  In my youth, I believed it was
my moral duty to obey the government.  Now, I obey the government for the
same reason I obey a gangster with his gun pointed at me.  The contract is
broken.  They can no longer say "You must obey our laws because we obey
your Constitution."

My campaign is about ending the police state by restoring the Constitution.

Salt Lake City must:

1.  Fire Chief Ortega.  He is too close to the problem for us to find
effective solutions with him on board.

2.  End the enforcement of all victimless crimes, including State Street
Cruising.

3.  Restore the Bill of Rights with the principles of innocent until proven
guilty, respect for due process, and letting 10 guilty go free before
punishing one innocent person.

4.  Return to the things most people expect a city to do:  repair the
streets and sewers and protect the citizens from harm.  End the nonsense
frills like taxing people for the Olympics,  building Light Rails nobody
wants or will use, and taking money from outlying areas to spend on
Downtown redevelopment projects.

5.  Eliminate all unconstitutional projects and just stop taking the money
from the pockets of the residents.

Finally, what do I need?  I need your enthusiasm.  I need you spreading the
word.  I need you to make copies of my flyers, or write your own and get
them into the hands of hundreds of voters.

Since the Power Ball Lottery was won by some lady in Minnesota, I
desperately need all the cash you can spare, even if it's only a few
dollars, instead of a few million.

Thanks,

Ken

PS  I am willing to post that flyer on request.

At 1:51 AM -0700 7/3/99, you wrote:
>I just got finished reading the pamphlet that you put out on state street.
>What was said in there is dead on.  I used to cruise state when I was
>younger.  It gave the younger crowd something to do instead of sitting home
>and partying.  I really never believed that the ordinince would pass, I
swore
>that the city council would rule it unconstitutional.  Since there is not
>much else to do in SLC, I guess everybody will stay home and do drugs.  I
>really believe that the prevention of cruising will cause more trouble for
>the police.  But they make the rules-not me.  I am not from Utah, but have
>lived here for five years.  I understand where you're coming from with the
>"image" problem that seems to make more trouble than solve it.  I am also
>interested in hearing some of your other ideas in making SLC better.  snip.
>If you need any help with anything then just write me.

Thanks

***********************************
Lloyd Miller, Research Director for A-albionic Research (POB 20273,
Ferndale, MI 48220), a ruling class/conspiracy research resource for the
entire political-ideological spectrum.  Quarterly journal, book sales,
rare/out-of-print searches, New Paradigms Discussion List, Weekly Up-date
Lists & E-text Archive of research, intelligence, catalogs, & resources.
To Discuss Ideas:
  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://msen.com/~lloyd/
  For Ordering Info & Free Catalog:
   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://a-albionic.com/formaddress.html
  For Discussion List:
   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
   text in body:  subscribe prj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
**FREE RARE BOOK SEARCH: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> **
   Explore Our Archive:  <http://a-albionic.com/a-albionic.html>
Every Diet Has Failed!  What Can I do?
Click Below to "Ask Dr. Kathleen"!
http://www.radiantdiet.com/cgi-bin/slim/deliver.cgi?ask-1364