-Caveat Lector-

> [...]
> a no-visa list because of its alleged ownership by front men for
> the Cali Cartel's leaders, brothers Miguel and Gilberto Rodriguez
> Orejuela.
>

> On soccer team board
>
> And Colombian drug prosecutors today sit on the board of a Bogota
> soccer team, Millonarios, after seizing the assets of other
> convicted drug traffickers.
>
> When then-President Ernesto Samper flew to a United Nations
> meeting in 1996, 8.8 pounds of heroin were found hidden in the
> walls of the presidential plane during a stopover in Miami. Three
> junior air force officers were convicted.
>
> Samper himself faced charges that the Cali drug cartel had
> donated $6 million to his 1994 campaign. Two top campaign aides
> confessed and said Samper knew about the donations, but a
> politically friendly Congress cleared him.
>
> Then there's the bloody war against leftist guerrillas, which
> Colombia's political leaders often appear less than interested in
> fighting and sometimes seem even reluctant to acknowledge.
>
> Armed Forces Chief Gen. Fernando Tapia, in a recent state-of-the
> war briefing, told reporters that Colombia now has more war dead
> in a year -- 3,000-4,000 -- than Israel suffered in all its wars
> with Arab neighbors.
>
> But the government spends a mere 3.5 percent of its GNP on
> national security, less on a proportional basis than Chile,
> Haiti, Ecuador or the Dominican Republic, which are not at war
> with anyone.
>

> To reserve units
>
> And the Defense Ministry announced recently that it will stop
> sending most draftees with high school diplomas, generally the
> sons of the middle and upper classes, into active service and
> instead assign them only to reserve units.
>
> Such draftees were already exempt from serving in combat units,
> usually joining police forces and leaving the fighting to peasant
> and poor draftees and the small number of volunteers and career
> soldiers.
>
> While military experts say armies usually need a 10-fold manpower
> superiority to fight an effective guerrilla war, Colombia has
> only some 30,000 combat troops facing an estimated 17,000-18,000
> rebels.
>
> Defense Ministry officials said that sparing the high school
> graduates from active service would allow the armed forces to
> concentrate more resources on improving front-line units.
>
> But with draftees required to serve only 18 months, combat units
> are winding up with badly educated soldiers who tend to leave the
> military almost as soon as they are trained.
>
> ``You can bet the guerrillas are sending their best boys to the
> front, not the kitchen,'' lawyer Moore said. ``But the political
> elite in this country has yet to accept the reality of this
> war.''
>
> e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> <Picture><Picture>
>
> <Picture: Shop The Herald, Online! -- Click Here!>

Above from Miami Herald

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Thursday, July 8, 1999 Published at 12:27 GMT 13:27 UK

> World: Americas
>
> Doomsday cultists vanish
>

> Up to 60 members of a Colombian doomsday cult have gone missing
> in the mountains of the Sierra Nevada in Northern Colombia.
>

> <Picture: [ image:  ]>They were due for an alleged rendezvous
> with a spaceship, and nothing has been heard of them since the
> weekend, despite a continuing police search.
>
> The members of the Stella Maris Gnostic church were hoping to be
> carried off by extraterrestrial beings before what they believe
> will be the imminent end of the world at the turn of the
> Millennium.
>
> Police checked the sect's half-finished temple in the Caribbean
> city of Cartagena, but found no clue as to where the cult has
> gone or what their intentions were.
>
> Mariela Tovar, whose 23-year-old daughter Patricia is among the
> disappeared, said the group's failure to return prompted worried
> relatives to contact the police.
>
> The head of the sect apparently assured followers that the Sierra
> Nevada - a sacred territory to indigenous Indians - was where
> they could contact a spaceship.
>

> <Picture><Picture>The BBC's Jeremy McDermott reports on the
> beliefs of the cultAccording to their interpretation of the
> Bible, the sect believes that extraterrestrials will take 140,000
> people from the earth before the end of the world - a sort of
> second Noah's Ark.
>
> The authorities have not discounted any theory about the
> disappearances and are exploring the possibilities of a mass
> suicide, mass kidnapping or a lift from a passing UFO.

Above from the BBC

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.