-Caveat Lector-

>From NewsUnlimited (TheGuardian)

> Oil pipeline disaster 'imminent'
>
> Michael Sean Gillard, Andrew Rowell and Melissa Jones
> Monday July 12, 1999
>
> An ecological disaster far worse than the Exxon Valdez
> catastrophe in Alaska 10 years ago could happen at any moment,
> according to six senior employees of the company that runs the
> 800-mile Alaskan oil pipeline.
>
> The six whistleblowers have written to BP Amoco's chief
> executive, Sir John Browne, and three US congressmen warning of
> an imminent threat to human life and the Alaskan environment from
> irresponsible oil operations there.
>
> The letter contains evidence of compliance failures, falsified
> safety and inspection records, intimidation of workers and
> persistent violations of procedures and government regulations.
>
> The whistleblowers fear a possible rupture of the ageing pipeline
> or an explosion at the Valdez oil tanker terminal. BP Amoco owns
> 50% of the company, Alyeska, which operates both installations on
> its behalf.
>
> The Exxon Valdez disaster was one of the most ecologically
> destructive spills ever. The Alaska state government blamed oil
> industry complacency and broken promises.
>
> The whistleblowers, all senior employees on the 22-year-old
> Trans-Alaska Pipeline System (Taps), believe conditions exist
> today for an even worse disaster. "It's not a matter of if it is
> going to happen, it's when it is going to happen," said one. The
> group provided the Guardian with evidence of compliance failures,
> illegalities and mismanagement:
>
> • Alyeska's quality assurance programme, vital to the safe
> operation of Taps, is being deliberately undermined by middle
> management.
>
> • Alyeska executives turn a blind eye to "the culture of
> harassment, intimidation, retaliation and discrimination".
>
> • Alyeska executive management instructed middle managers not to
> issue critical audit reports of Taps safety and quality
> compliance because it could "negatively influence" their
> employment prospects.
>
> • Alyeska executive management instructed middle managers "to
> disregard and/or circumvent" compliance manuals and codes of
> conduct and to "tone down, alter or delete negative reports
> including internal audits and surveillance reports".
>
> • Maintenance and inspection records before 1996 are lost and
> audit results were falsified to make it seem otherwise.
>
> • Record keeping is "totally dysfunctional" and Alyeska executive
> management is hiding the problem from government regulators.
>
> The six whistleblowers are risking their careers. They say they
> represent a much bigger group of concerned employees who are too
> afraid to speak out because of an embedded "shoot the messenger"
> culture in the Alaskan oil industry.
>
> The scandal is a blow to Sir John, who has spent two years
> repositioning BP as the leading "green" oil and gas company. The
> [...]

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.