-Caveat Lector-

China warns Taiwan leader to stop talking independence
Copyright © 1999 Nando Media
Copyright © 1999 Associated Press
By JOE McDONALD

BEIJING (July 13, 1999 9:30 a.m. EDT http://www.nandotimes.com) - China
heightened its attacks on Taiwanese President Lee Teng-hui on Tuesday,
accusing him of pursuing independence for the island.

Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Zhang Qiyue said Lee was taking "extremely
dangerous steps. She repeated Beijing was ready to use force to block
formal independence for the island, which it regards as a renegade
province.

Beijing was outraged by Lee's comments to German radio station Deutsche
Welle that China and Taiwan have "state-to-state" dealings. The
characterization runs counter to Beijing's insistence that Taiwan is part
of China.

Taiwan and the mainland have been separated since a civil war 50 years ago,
but both say they intend one day to reunite.

"We hope that Lee Teng-hui and the Taiwan authorities will stop all
activities and remarks aimed at splitting the motherland," Zhang said at a
regular news briefing.

The state-run Xinhua News Agency accused Lee of deliberately spoiling a
recent easing of tensions between Taiwan and the mainland.

Taiwan said Monday that by labeling their dealings "state-to-state
relations" it aimed to encourage more constructive talks with Beijing.

"We hope the Taiwan authorities will not underestimate the firm resolve of
the central government to safeguard the sovereignty, dignity and
territorial integrity of our country, and will not underestimate the
strength of courage of the Chinese people in the fight against separatism
and Taiwan independence," Zhang said.

Lee, who won Taiwan's first free presidential election in 1996, has said he
will consider eventual reunification only after the mainland becomes
democratic.

Chinese officials and state media have not resorted to such direct
criticism of Lee since the 1996 elections, when Beijing launched war games
and missile tests near Taiwan to intimidate voters.

Zhang did not say whether the latest disagreement would affect plans for
China's top negotiator with Taiwan, Wang Daohan, to visit the island's
capital, Taipei, later this year.
However, she noted a statement by Wang that Lee's comments had "wiped out
the foundation for contacts" and said he was waiting for clarification from
Taiwan.

"We do not undertake to give up the use of force, which is by no means
directed against our compatriots in Taiwan. It is rather against the
attempts by foreign forces to interfere in China's reunification hopes and
for Taiwan independence," she said.

http://www.nandotimes.com/global/story/0,1024,69963-110608-784251-0,00.html