-Caveat Lector-

>From www.iwf.com

> <Picture>
>
> <Picture: The Women's Quarterly Logo>

> ------- By Camille Paglia <Picture>
>
> Interview: I Told You So!
>

> I Told You So!
>
> Camille Paglia sounds off to TWQ editor Charlotte Hays about the
> feminist establishment, the Clinton scandals, and why Gloria
> Steinem is out of touch
>
> TWQ: The first question I want to ask you is about Monica. Is she
> a vixen or a victim? Did she get what she wanted?
>
> PAGLIA: Well, Monica Lewinsky herself bores me silly because she
> is a kind of a prototype of a narcissistic and spoiled American
> girl that I have been seeing develop over the last twenty-five
> years as a teacher--not at my school, the University of the Arts,
> where most people don't have those kinds of economic advantages.
> But I certainly saw this coming from my first job at Bennington
> College and later as a visiting instructor at Wesleyan and Yale.
> And I have been warning about this for years and saying that we
> are raising up a whole generation of young people who are
> completely removed from any sense of the outside world. To me,
> the most damaging thing Monica did to herself was her response to
> Barbara Walters' early question: "When you went to the White
> House as an intern, were you interested in politics?" And Monica
> Lewinsky is so shallow and her family is so shallow that she
> said, "No, not at all,"-and in a very high and superficial voice
> that you would use having a drink off Rodeo Drive or something. I
> was just amazed at that! Our educational system at the primary
> and secondary level is so flawed that we have girls who would go
> to the White House as a tremendous career opportunity for
> themselves and come out of that experience in Washington undented
> by any sense of wider political or historical realities.
>
> TWQ: What would you advise her to do?
>
> PAGLIA: I would advise Monica Lewinsky to get the hell off the
> public stage before she damages the cause of women any further.
>
> TWQ: What has been her impact on the establishment feminist
> movement?
>
> PAGLIA: Ohhh, I have been in hog heaven over that! Never, never
> did I dream that Gloria Steinem would shoot herself in every one
> of her eight feet-but she did over Monica Lewinsky!
>
> Christina Hoff Sommers was an early warrior in this battle, and
> we were together in all of this in the early 1990s. And now, of
> course, a horde of other women have come onto the scene, and we
> no longer have to take all the abuse. Christina and I have for
> years tried to get people to see that the feminist establishment
> did not speak for all women.
>
> In fact, I'm the one who coined the term "feminist
> establishment." When I went out on my first publicity tour after
> Sexual Personae and in my early articles in 1990, 1991, 1992, I
> drilled that phrase in every interview. I kept on saying,
> [...]

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.