      A - I N F O S  N E W S  S E R V I C E
            http://www.ainfos.ca/

By The Leveler Editorial Collective
As of January 1, 1999 the law of the State of California mandates
"Vacancy Decontrol" for apartment rents.  The State Supreme Court, almost
simultaneously, ruled that Rent Control is not a taking of private
property "rights' written into the Constitution by the Aristocratic
landlords who authored it.  At the same time, people earning less than
$25,000 after California State deductions have had a renters tax credit
restored to them by the State for the tax year ending December 31, 1998.

What does all this mean?  For renters, "Vacancy Decontrol" means that
landlords can raise the rent on an apartment as much as they like when a
tenant moves out.  In Los Angeles County, rent control amounts to a 4%
per year limit on increases in rent or 8% per year when utilities are
included in the rent.  For those who toil at or near the minimum wage,
the fact that rents have been fairly stable since the 1994 Northridge
earthquake has been meaningless because they are still over 50% of a
persons income!  The practical result of this is that families are forced
to "underconsume" housing.  In other words, they live in overcrowded
conditions because high rents force them to live in a smaller apartment
than they need for their family. Families of 4 persons typically live in
one-bedroom apartments, for example.  In suburban cities with housing
policies which only fund low income housing projects for elderly persons,
the problems are even worse.  The 1990 U.S. Census identified large areas
of Los Angeles with "overcrowded" or "severely overcrowded" rental
housing.  "Overcrowded" means one or more persons per room, not including
bathrooms and hallways.  A one bedroom apartment (Bedroom, Kitchen,
Living Room, Dining Area) with 4 people living in it is considered
"overcrowded."  One and a half persons per room (6 persons living in a
one bedroom) is considered "severely overcrowded."  In the inner city
where large areas are severely overcrowded, the result has been a
markedly diminished quality of life for the poor.  The most obvious
example is severe shortages of classroom space in public schools and
bussing which sends high school and middle school students on daily 1-2
hour trips to schools in the San Fernando Valley!

Rent control has not kept greedy landlords from charging more than most
Working Class people can afford.  If it had, there would have been a
chorus of Rich landlords petitioning City hall for legal license to
charge more rent.  Instead, the challenges have been court challenges in
yuppie enclaves like Santa Monica and West Hollywood where more renters
are Middle Class and have more "leisure" time to fight City Hall for rent
control.  Neo-Liberal capitalist economists argue that not letting a
landlord charge what they like (the so-called "market" price) is a
"subsidy" because tenants should have to pay the highest price possible
before enough of them are forced to move to a smaller and cheaper
apartment ("underconsume" housing) to make it hard for landlords to find
tenants willing to pay the rents they charge and they end up with a lot
of vacant apartments.  But, just what do they claim is being
"subsidized?"  Of the money paid in rent, only a fraction goes to the
upkeep of the building where you live.  A significant portion of rent in
newer buildings goes to pay a mortgage (money borrowed by the landlord to
buy or build the apartment building).  Usually, over 50% of that is
usury: Interest or "rent" on the money borrowed from the bank.  The bank
gets that money for doing nothing!  On top of that, a significant amount
of the rent goes to pay property taxes and some is taken as "income tax"
from the landlord.  While renters are paying the landlord's taxes, the
landlord has the interest on their mortgages subsidized by government
income tax write-offs which only benefit Middle to Upper Class property
owners.  This is because you have to have a Middle Class income to even
qualify for a home loan.  For home "buyers," this means they pay rent on
the money they borrowed for the home for at least the first10 years of
the mortgage when over half their payment is interest or rent.  The
exception to this is landlords.  The tenant pays their mortgage rent and
gets nothing!  (It is important to note here that the $68 per year tax
write-off for low income renters is insignificant next to the mortgage
subsidy provided to property owners)

If we were to assume that the real cost of living in housing were that a
person must fix the home when it breaks and keep it in a healthful
condition, and that, if property and income taxes only paid for services
like fire protection and utilities instead of subsidizing the rich the
way they do now, then the true cost of shelter would only be a fraction
of current rents.  Under capitalism, the supply of affordable housing is
intentionally kept low to force renters to compete for housing based upon
their ability to pay.  This artificially inflates the cost of housing
because a landlord may ask a much higher rent than the cost they pay to
keep up the housing because there are no cheaper alternatives.  The
landlords also have an unwritten understanding that they will charge
comparable rents in the same neighborhoods and not compete for tenants.
This is because every landlord is so greedy to get as much as they can
for the rent that they want to charge more if others charge more so long
as people are still willing to pay.  The forced scarcity of housing in
communities (especially, cities) means that landlords extort the
difference between the true cost of housing and their "market price"
based on the fear of being homeless and a police and legal system put in
place to make homelessness a crime punishable by persecution or
imprisonment.  The banks get a piece of the action by renting money  to
the landlords to buy or build rental housing.  At the same time, the
landlords pay taxes or cops and courts to penalize homelessness and
protect their "property."  So, landlords are correct in stating that
rents are a subsidy, but they are a subsidy of the landlords, not
tenants.  They are extortion.  They are theft!  Because capitalist
landlords (most apartments are nor owned by companies which own many
buildings) and bankers use the money they steal through the rent they
charge to buy government influence, they are able to maintain the system.

The rent system was begun in the Middle Ages when armed gangsters
established themselves as "protectors" of villages which paid them
protection money: more so to keep their protectors away than any real
threat.  The gangsters built forts and eventually accumulated enough
wealth to create private armies.  In exchange for agreeing to protect the
wealth of the Church, they got the Church to declare them to be kings and
"nobles" chosen by god (all the rubbish about "chivalry" was invented by
the kings in the 1700s as a propaganda campaign to make them popular with
working people who were beginning to question why they needed kings).
They then used their armies to seize control of land which had been used
in common by village-dwellers for centuries.  The armies forced the
villagers to give a portion of what they grew to the "nobles" or
"land-lords" in order to use land that was rightfully theirs.  Through
inheritance, this property was inherited by the eldest son of the
land-"lord."  The power of the Church to tell ignorant poor people that
they would be damned to hell for not obeying the Church was used to give
the kings and "nobles" the authority to pass laws on how land they had
stolen would be used.  By the end of the Middle Ages, land-"lords" had
taken over all the common lands and had a monopoly on food production,
they were so powerful because of the money they extorted in rents that
they were able to demand power independent of kings and eventually form
parliaments or legislatures to replace the government of kings.  The vast
wealth accumulated by generations of rent-taking by land-"lords" became
the financial basis of the capitalist system as landlords began to "rent"
wealth which they were not using to others.  The money financed
colonialism and industrial sweatshops.  It also created a "Middle Class"
of persons whose wealth was based on borrowing and lending money
(capital-ism) or working as managers for capital-ists.  The problem of
affordable housing has existed ever since working people lost control of
their own land.  The "Market" which landlords imagine exists, is nothing
more than the limit of what people are willing to pay while still keeping
enough of their wages to pay for food, clothing and other necessities.
Historically, landlords have tried to squeeze workers from one direction
while employers squeeze them from the other with wage cuts and fees for
things like renting the tools they have to use to do the work.

Rent has never been a "Free Market" because the coercive power of
government is used by landlords to determine the conditions under which
people must find and maintain shelter.  These conditions include paying
extortion to the landlord, the bank and the government which protects
them.  Our lack of democratic control over our own communities means that
the system continues to "subsidize' the leisure of wealthy landlords and
Middle Class landlord wannabees through the rent system.  That "subsidy"
is the difference between the value of any labor the landlord puts into
the upkeep of the property and any utility costs and the total rent
charged minus the rent the landlord pays on the mortgage and protection
money paid to the government as taxes.  That subsidy is, in truth, money
which is stolen from tenants.  The rent system, like the wage system, is
not a "Free Market" because both parties to the arrangement are not
equally free to refuse an exchange which they do not approve of.  In the
wage system, we must work or starve.  In the rent system, we must pay or
go homeless and face government repression.  The landlord, like the
employer, maintains enough scarcity so that they can set the so-called
"Market Price."  They use the coercive power of the government to
preserve this privilege.  So long as this economic system and the
political system which protects it exist, we will always have housing
shortages and high rents.

So, what is the alternative?  First, decent housing depends upon renters
having democratic control over their own housing.  Some cities like
Seattle now have Renters' Unions where tenants have organized to force
their landlords to spend more of their rent money to keep the buildings
safe and sanitary, even using Rent Strikes to pressure intransigent Slum
Lords.  But, this is only the tip of the iceberg of what is possible and
what is necessary.  We can organize our own Community Credit Unions where
our money is only lent to build housing or start small businesses in our
neighborhood.  This will allow us to circumvent racist banks when we want
to build affordable apartments.  We can organize housing trusts (a trust
is a fund administered by a community-based collective which is used to
build housing.  The money originates in the community.  The Trust does
not accept money from capitalists or the government) which build housing
for use not profit and organize apartment buildings as self-funding
co-ops where rent only goes to pay the mortgage (loan), taxes and upkeep
(without government we would only pay for public services and utilities -
there would be no taxes).  Community Credit Unions could make zero
interest loans with the apartments as collateral.  Rebuilding our
communities also means that we need to resist gentrification so that all
or hard work isn't stolen from us by rich people who invade our
neighborhood and try to take over once we start to make progress undoing
the damage done to it by the capitalist system.  One way to do this is to
fight against absentee landlords by using the financial power of the
community to identify and collectively buy properties owned by outsiders.
 This can include the conversion of abandoned office and warehouse
buildings into housing and other community-oriented uses.

We also need to begin pressuring the government to relax zoning
restrictions so that larger apartment buildings can be built and to
eliminate fees and regulations which are barriers to participation in the
economy by low income persons.  We also need to fight for decent
community services like trash collection, sewers and streetlighting and
oppose the efforts of millionaire politicians to sell everything off to
the capitalists.  While there may be no government like no government, it
is still important that we RESIST the efforts of the capitalists to use
the government as a weapon against the Working Class by passing laws and
imposing fees that reserve the economy for the rich.  By organizing
ourselves, we are returning power to the community.  By financing
ourselves, we are resisting exploitation by the landlords and
capitalists.  These things are necessary building blocks to a society
where we can abolish capitalism, the rent system and the government which
protects them and restore democratic community control over our own
housing.

                        ********
                The A-Infos News Service
                        ********