-Caveat Lector-

Amelia Edgeman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> > >  Hello, Group,
> Wel, this relates back to a long, long thread of discussions concerning
what
> I cannot remember.  I think my contribution to the discussion was that I
> thought it was impossible because of the rodent's teeth, etc.  Perhaps I
was
> mistaken.
> Amelia
>
> PS I know I should not post this and open up this old subject, already
> eshausted, but I cannot help myself.
>

> > >  Actual article from the LA Times:
> > >
> > >  "In retrospect, lighting the match was my big mistake. But I was only
> > >  trying to retrieve the gerbil," Eric Tomazewski told bemused doctors
in
> > >  the Severe Burn Unit of Salt Lake City Hospital.
<nonsense snipped>

FYI: This is from the Urban Legends website,
http://www.urbanlegends.com/animals/gerbilling/gerbilling_debunking.html:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian A. York)
Newsgroups: alt.sex.bondage,alt.sex,alt.folklore.urban
Subject: Re: Gerbils and water sports
Date: 28 May 1996 20:46:03 -0400

In article <4ofacc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Steven S. Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote: >
>I don't recall there ever being any evidence, eyewitness, phyical,
>documentary, or circumstantial, offered in support of that rumor.

As you say, there was no support offered for that. Since this is being
crossposted to several groups (followups are hereby redirected to
alt.folklore.urban), here's a
summary of this legend to date.

Cecil Adams, in his Straight Dope column (collected into several books) at
first thought the rumour might be true, but says that all attempts to track
down a real case
have been unsuccessful and says that he now is confident that it's merely a
legend.

Jan Harold Brunvand discusses it as an urban legend (and agrees that it's
false) in his book on urban legends, The Mexican Pet.

The guy who writes "News of the Weird" published a list of objects found up
the down staircase which included a rodent. On being asked by Cecil for a
source, he
hastily retracted the gerbil (ummm, you know what I mean); he had mistaken his
original query for such a cite as being a cite. Or something like that; the
correspondence is in one of Cecil's books.

There's been nothing relevant published in the medical literature, according
to Medline. A 1993 search is mentioned in the AFU FAQ
(http://www.urbanlegends.com/)
and I've repeated it since then with no positives.

Requests on various medical newsgroups have turned up no eyewitness, and
requests for gossip among my doctor buddies have only raised their eyebrows.
Good old
anonymous nobody is the first to make the claim. (Incidentally, in contrast to
his suggestion that MDs are bashful about descriptions and prefer to simply
use "rectal
foreign object," the literature is simply crammed full of rectal objects,
described in loving detail.)

Checking with a MD who claimed to have seen an x-ray revealed that he had not
seen the patient, and had no evidence that the x-ray was not faked. It was
passed to
him by an x-ray technician, who had had it passed to him by another x-ray tech
from another hospital, and so forth. Combining two x-rays (e.g. one shot of a
colon,
one of a rodent) is quite simple, according to photographers who discussed
this at the time.

An MD claimed to have seen an x-ray of a rectal rodent while a medical student
(the MD, not the rodent). I wrote to the professor he remembered as showing
the x-ray,
who replied that he had shown x-rays of a rectal tumbler and of a snake
digesting a rodent, and presumed that the student had conflated the two in
memory.

As Harry says, after a while the lack of positive evidence becomes pretty
strong negative evidence in itself. At this point, it's going to take more
than a forged post from
an anonymous poster to change my mind.

Ian "squeak" York

=================================
Robert F. Tatman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Remove "nospam" from the address to reply.

NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is
distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in
receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For

more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

POSTING THIS MESSAGE TO THE INTERNET DOES NOT IMPLY PERMISSION TO SEND
UNSOLICITED COMMERCIAL E-MAIL (SPAM) TO THIS OR ANY OTHER INTERNET ADDRESS.
RECEIPT OF SPAM WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE NOTIFICATION OF THE SENDER'S ISP.

http://webmail.netscape.com.