-Caveat Lector-

Dear Brigade,

"I think that Chairman Nicholson's letter was rude, insulting. It was
arrogant, and
ultimately, I think it was very stupid...I just think that the Republican
establishment is
doing its best right now to almost force a fracture in the GOP. I've been
reading that I'm
to be presented with some kind of a loyalty oath....   I've served in three
White Houses
of three Republican presidents. And if someone presents me with a loyalty
oath, I
would suggest they're going to be making a mistake....... I'm not signing any
automatic loyalty oath to support the Republican nominee. In my judgment, the
Republican establishment is virtually fixing this election, rigging this
election..."

GO PAT GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Linda

CBS News - FACE THE NATION

July 11, 1999, Sunday

PATRICK BUCHANAN, GOP PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE, DISCUSSES THE
PRESIDENTIAL RACE

BOB SCHIEFFER, host:  Now we're going to turn to Republican politics, some
real
turmoil on the right side of the Republican Party this week. And we have
Republican
presidential candidate Pat Buchanan, who comes--and is not embarrassed to
say--
from the Republican right.

Mr. PAT BUCHANAN (GOP Presidential Candidate): Mm-hmm.

SCHIEFFER: What does this mean, Mr. Buchanan, because the news is that Bob
Smith, the--the senator from New Hampshire who was running for president--I
don't
think anybody thought he was going to get the Republican nomination except
perhaps
Senator Smith. He now says he's going to leave the party apparently and run
as the
candidate of the US Taxpayer Party. There is some reports that you may
actually...

Mr. BUCHANAN: Mm-hmm.

SCHIEFFER: ...leave the Republican Party before it's over and go to the
Reform Party,
perhaps. What's happening on the right side of the Republican Party here?

Mr. BUCHANAN: Well, I think with regard to Senator Smith, he's going through
a lot of
torment and anguish over whether to stay in the GOP. He's a friend of mine.
He's a fine
senator. And he's made his decision that he can best pursue and advance the
causes
in which he believes, which are very similar to what I believe, outside the
Republican
Party and the Taxpayer Party is a third party candidate. If he does that, and
I'm not
sure he has made the decision yet final, it's bad news for the Republican
Party.

GLORIA BORGER (CBS News; US News & World Report): Why is it bad news?

Mr. BUCHANAN: Well, I think Bob Smith has a conservative base in New
Hampshire
and the Taxpayer Party, while very tiny, I think it got less than a million
votes last
time, he could get quite a few votes over there.

BORGER: Well, let's talk about you.

Mr. BUCHANAN: Mm-hmm.

BORGER: There's a lot of talk and--and--and...

Mr. BUCHANAN: Mm-hmm.

BORGER: ...you've met with Governor Ventura yourself.

Mr. BUCHANAN: Right.

BORGER: There's talk about your trying for the Reform Party nomination. Is
that
something you are considering?

Mr. BUCHANAN: Right now, Gloria, I am in the Republican Party. I won the
Republican straw poll in New Hampshire. I intend to go out to Ames, Iowa, and
do my
best there, although the competition is a little stiffer out there, I will
concede. But I'm a
Republican and I'm running for the Republican nomination.

BORGER: Would you rule it out?

Mr. BUCHANAN: I'm not going to rule anything in or out at this point. But
what I do
represent, Gloria, is what I've represented for seven years. I'm going to
fight as long
and hard and as well as I can for a foreign policy that puts our own country
first and
keeps us out of wars like Kosovo, for a trade policy that puts our farmers
and workers
first, and for, quite frankly, the full restoration of America's sovereignty.
And I regret to
say that the Republican establishment is very Clintonite on all those issues.

SCHIEFFER: Well, now the chairman of the Republican Party, Mr. Nicholson,
wrote a--
what I would call a fairly nasty letter to Senator Smith...

Mr. BUCHANAN: Mm-hmm.

SCHIEFFER: ...told him that it was not the message that was being rejected in
his
case, but the messenger, referring to Senator Smith. We have Senator
McConnell,
who heads a Senate campaign committee...

Mr. BUCHANAN: Mm-hmm.

SCHIEFFER: ..saying he's going to now try to get back the money that the
Republican Party gave Senator Smith in his last election. What do you think
of--of the
reaction from the party itself, so far, to Senator Smith?

Mr. BUCHANAN: I think that Chairman Nicholson's letter was rude, insulting.
It was
arrogant, and ultimately, I think it was very stupid. You have probably--if
Smith were
not going to leave, he probably surely is going to now. I think the handling
of this has
been appalling on their part.

And quite ap--and quite frankly, I just think that the Republican
establishment is doing
its best right now to almost force a fracture in the GOP. I've been reading
about that
I'm to be presented with some kind of a loyalty oath.

BORGER: Mm-hmm.

Mr. BUCHANAN: I've served in three White Houses of three Republican
presidents.
And if someone presents me with a loyalty oath, I would suggest they're going
to be
making a mistake.

BORGER: Well--but let's talk about that a little bit. There--there are two
state
chairmen, Iowa and New Hampshire...

Mr. BUCHANAN: Mm-hmm.

BORGER: ...who are going to hand Republican candidates a loyalty oath saying
that
would you not bolt the GOP. Is that something you would sign?

Mr. BUCHANAN: Well, the--what it is is a loyalty oath demanding that, sight
unseen, I
pledge to support the Republican nominee for president of the United States.
Gloria, I
pledge to support the causes for which I fought for seven years. I'm going to
decide
how best to pursue and advance those causes. I'm not signing any automatic
loyalty
oath to support the Republican nominee. In my judgment, the Republican
establishment is virtually fixing this election, rigging this election, in
the sense that
candidates have 100--are going to have $ 100 million to spend. They're moving
the
primaries up to a point where maybe you cannot conceivably advance your
causes.

And those who say, quite frankly, there are no disagreements inside the
Republican
Party are profoundly and deeply mistaken. On China policy, for example, our
establishment is going to endorse the Clinton policy of MFN for China,
despite its--its--
its savage criticism of Mr. Clinton.

BORGER: So--so you're not going to sign any oath?

Mr. BUCHANAN: I'm not signing any oath.

BORGER: And...

SCHIEFFER: Up until this point, you've been the only Republican candidate
that's
really taken on George Bush.

Mr. BUCHANAN: Mm-hmm.

SCHIEFFER: You have basically said that you don't think he's qualified to be
president. Do you...

Mr. BUCHANAN: I've said...

SCHIEFFER: Do you think that if he gets the nomination you could support him?

Mr. BUCHANAN: Bob, look, George Bush I've met several times. He's a
personable
young man from a--a great family. But he has not defined himself on the
issues at all.
And to the degree he has, he has come off so close to Clinton that even Mr.
Clinton
has begun to complain. On--on--again, trade policy, foreign policy,
immigration policy,
sovereignty. Where is the disagreement between Mr. Bush and Mr. Clinton? I
can't see
it.

SCHIEFFER: So at this point, you're not sure you could support him?

Mr. BUCHANAN: It--look, I'm going to support the ideas and values and views
that I've
supported for the last seven years. And I'm going to find the best way I can
to fight for
them.

BORGER: Very quickly. Do--do you feel like you're being driven out of the
Republican
Party?

Mr. BUCHANAN: I think the Republican establishment has made up its mind that
what
I did in '96 will never be allowed to be repeated, where I almost broke
through and took
the nomination. And if they slam those doors shut, well, we'll just have to
look for
another way.

SCHIEFFER: Pat Buchanan, thanks for joining us this morning.

Mr. BUCHANAN: Thank you.

SCHIEFFER: When we come back, we'll talk about the other race: Hillary
Clinton's
campaign for the New York Senate.

Official WebSite for Patrick J. Buchanan for President
Web: http://www.gopatgo2000.org
  *** BUCHANAN 2000 ***
P.O. Box 2000, Dunn Loring, VA 22027
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Tel: 1-703-734-2700
WebMaster - Linda Muller - [EMAIL PROTECTED]