-----
From: Daniel Hopsicker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The reporter of this pose story, george lardner jr., is a well-known CIA
asset.
He was, for example,  alone with david ferrie  until 4 AM on the night he
died.
I'd have said "died mysteriously," but that would be gilding the lilly.

-----
 Young Bush, a Political Natural, Revs Up
George W. Bush talks with workers while campaigning for Congress in the
Midland oil fields, 1978. (George Bush Presidential Library)
By Lois Romano and George Lardner Jr.
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, July 29, 1999; Page A1

Fifth in a series
On July 6, 1977, George W. Bush celebrated his 31st birthday with little
to show in the way of a resume or significant career prospects. Since
arriving in Midland, Tex., in the summer of 1975 after finishing Harvard
Business School, he had worked as an entry-level land man in the oil
business, spending his days in the courthouse researching titles to
mineral rights and negotiating deals to lease them. He lived in a
cluttered bachelor apartment above a cinder-block garage, his bed held
together by one of his ratty ties.
But his birthday brought an unexpected opportunity. Rep. George Mahon,
Midland's congressman, was a conservative Democrat who had served in the
House for 43 years, longer than anyone else in Congress at the time. And
on July 6, he unexpectedly announced his retirement. National
Republicans, seeing a chance to pick up a Democratic House seat, began
lining up behind Jim Reese, a former television sportscaster and mayor
of Odessa who had run against Mahon the year before and won 45 percent
of the vote.

"And then out of nowhere – and I mean nowhere, even after Reese has
shown so much strength – comes George Bush," remembers V. Lance
Tarrance, a pollster who worked for Reese.

Less that two weeks after Mahon revealed his plans, Bush startled both
the Republican and Democratic establishments by holding news conferences
in Lubbock and Midland to announce that he was jumping into the race.

Bush would later say that the opportunity to run for Congress far
outweighed his preparedness back then. But his quick decision to run and
his willingness to challenge an established candidate suggest the pull
that politics had for him as well as his ambition, which would go
unfulfilled until 17 years later. He was drawn to the game, and he was
not someone who wanted to get in it by starting at the bottom.

By 1977 Bush had already worked in three of his father's campaigns. He
had been on the campaign staffs of two Republican Senate candidates –
Edward J. Gurney in Florida in 1968 and Winton Blount in Alabama four
years later – and liked it so much that his uncle Jonathan Bush was
convinced he would become a political consultant. He had also briefly
considered running for the Texas legislature after he finished active
duty with the National Guard. As the grandson of a senator, Prescott
Bush from Connecticut, and the son of a politically ambitious father,
Bush was immersed in politics as a boy. But his conservative opinions
didn't seem rooted in any particular philosophy. John Kidde, an Andover
classmate, recalls his friend reading Barry Goldwater's "The Conscience
 of a Conservative" in school. When Kidde asked Bush why he was reading
the book, Bush told him his father had given it to him.

When Bush announced for Congress that July, he sounded conservative
themes, complaining that President Jimmy Carter was trying to control
natural gas prices and saying he wanted to go to Washington to halt what
he called the "bureaucratic spread of federal government that is
encroaching more and more on our lives."

But it was clearly more than issues that attracted him to running for
office. It was the people and the competition he liked – that and the
chance to be the center of attention.

"He knew how to work a crowd perfectly long before he decided to go into
politics," said Doug Hannah, an old friend from Houston, who traveled
Texas with him during Bush's father's losing 1970 Senate campaign
against Lloyd Bentsen. "He loved it and he was having a great time. My
shock was that he was such a good speaker. I started to notice he
sounded just like his father – if you closed your eyes, you heard his
father."

The experience of his ultimately losing campaign for Congress would
inform Bush's role in his father's presidential campaigns and offer
indelible lessons for his own political future. He would confront the
power of the religious right long before before it was seen as a
formidable political force, and he would suffer the consequences of
allowing his opponents to define him as an Easterner – something he
would never let happen again.

He would also experience the downside of being George Bush's son. His
father's career, he would learn, would loom large over everything the
son did for years to come.

But something else became apparent as Bush traipsed through the cotton
farms around Lubbock and knocked on oil-field workers' doors in Odessa.
He was a natural, and it wasn't long before his opponents knew it.

Built-In Advantages For a Bush in Midland

Bush started his campaign with some built-in advantages. He was the son
and virtual namesake of one of Texas's rising politicians, who was just
beginning his own campaign for the 1980 Republican presidential
nomination. George Herbert Walker Bush's old friends from Midland –
where he had lived for nearly a decade – were all too happy to help his
son make his way in politics.
George W. also had his own wide circle of friends who were willing to
help, some who had known him when he was growing up in Midland in the
'50s and others who had met him through the oil business. Most of them
were stunned at how fast he made up his mind to run.

"I remember him sitting around our kitchen table talking about this and
we were saying: Why do you want to do this?" recalled his close friend
Joe O'Neill. "He looked around the table and said, 'Are you gonna do it?
Are you gonna do it?' And of course none of us wanted to. He said, 'Well
then, I am.' "

This was the "Bombastic Bushkin" his friends had come to love for his
unpredictability and impulsiveness, the unfettered enthusiasm that
brought excitement into their suburban lives. Many of his friends
eagerly signed up to help.

"I don't know that we ever got into the 'whys,' " said Bob McCleskey,
his friend from seventh grade. "It was just, 'Were we gonna help?' It
was something new. Most of us had never done anything like it before,
never even made a contribution, much less be actively involved."

Within a few weeks, Bush had the core of his little team in place – most
of whom worked for free, and many of them still working for him today.

Don Evans, an oil executive who is now Bush's national finance chairman,
agreed to oversee the campaign. O'Neill would be the treasurer and
fund-raiser. Charlie Younger, an orthopedic surgeon, would help stuff
envelopes and whatever else was necessary. McCleskey, today Bush's
accountant, found himself studying Federal Election Commission filing
requirements. Bush's brother Neil, still a college student, would head
to Texas after he finished out the year at Tulane. It was also during
this campaign that Bush began his long-term relationship with Karl Rove,
then an aide to his father in Houston and today George W.'s chief
strategist.

Everyone agreed that Bush's father should remain on the sidelines. The
name was enough of a statement. The senior Bush had already been a Texas
congressman, chairman of the Republican National Committee and director
of the Central Intelligence Agency – and now he was running for
president.

It was lost on no one in the Bush camp that Jim Reese was tight with one
of Bush's father's main rivals – Ronald Reagan – and that the Reagan
camp would just as soon not see George W. show strength in Texas, a
pivotal presidential state.

Charles Black, the Republican National Committee's young political
director, got a call in Washington one day from Bush's father, the
former party chairman. "You know George is getting in this race down
here in Texas," he told him. "I hope you all will stay neutral through
the primary."

"Absolutely," Black assured the senior Bush. "By all means."

Some Republican leaders in Texas worried about a fractious primary and
urged Bush to wait his turn. It was Reese, after all, who had forced
Mahon from Congress. But Bush was already making an impression on people
as he moved around the sprawling district, people like Ruth Schiermeyer,
the Lubbock Republican chairwoman.

She had met the young man briefly a year earlier when he had come
through Lubbock on behalf of President Gerald R. Ford's campaign. But
they really hadn't talked until he came to her home a few weeks after
his announcement.

Like others in the district, Schiermeyer had been uneasy about Reese. In
1976 he had painted Mahon as a liberal – which he was not – and even
Republicans believed Mahon had represented the district well for four
decades.

Bush settled into her small living room on her blue tweed couch and made
himself comfortable. He pulled out the loose pillows and propped his
arms on them, then put his feet up on her coffee table. He told her that
he cared about people, that he could go the long haul. He knew his name
would help, but he wanted to establish himself as his own person.

Schiermeyer had to stay neutral in the primary. But by the time Bush
left her little house on 25th Street, she and he knew she was with him.
She even agreed to give his brother Neil her garage apartment when he
came to help.

A Backyard Cookout Leads to the Altar

Ten days after declaring his candidacy, Bush accepted an invitation from
Joe and Jan O'Neill for a backyard cookout at their Midland home on the
last weekend in July.
For years the O'Neills had tried to set Bush up with their childhood
friend, Laura Welch, a 30-year-old librarian who was as quiet and
introspective as Bush was loud and blustery. In truth the O'Neills never
really thought it would work.

Welch was a self-contained only child, who was at her happiest immersed
in a good book. Bush loved crowds – especially when he was at the center
of attention, making people laugh. It was Welch who had put the O'Neills
off. She had grown up in Midland, knew Bush from grade school, knew the
family name and knew she had little interest in politics.

Bush hadn't been ready to settle down – but neither was he considered
any kind of ladies' man. In fact, his friends saw him as a bit of a
reclamation case, a tad eccentric and a slob. The wives of his friends
took pity on him and did his laundry.

"I didn't think he was really shopping around," said Joe O'Neill. "He
was at the age where it was getting awkward to be a bachelor, but I
don't think he thought about it." Bush, he recalled with a laugh,
"wasn't exactly presidential timber yet. It took some coaching for us to
get the girls to go out with him."

Welch was living in Austin at the time and was in Midland visiting her
parents when she finally agreed to meet Bush. It wasn't until a few
weeks after the cookout that the O'Neills found out their friends were
still in touch. "I was not just surprised. I was shocked," said Jan
O'Neill. "They really seemed to be the two most unlikely people to get
together."

Welch found they had more in common than they expected – particularly
their friends. Three months later, on Nov. 5, 1977, they were married.
"In a lot of ways I guess I felt like I'd known him all my life without
really having known him that well," Laura Bush recalls.

It was a good thing too, because she had much to contend with during
their first year of marriage. They delayed the honeymoon and hit the
campaign trail in Bush's white Bonneville. He promised her she would
never make a speech, a promise their friends still laugh about. "Yeah,
he lied," jokes Don Evans.

A Relentless Drive In a Sprawling District

Bush never missed a chili supper and knocked on more than 60 doors a day
in the windswept district, flat and treeless as far as the eye could
see. He would often start his week in Midland, drive the 20 miles to
Odessa, and then hit the 115-mile stretch north to the farms of Lubbock,
rolling into every strip mall along the way.
"The way he focused on what he had to do was extraordinary," Reese
recalled. "He didn't relax. He worked all the time."

J. Michael Weiss remembers meeting Bush in a men's clothing store in
Lubbock when Bush walked up to a group of men hanging out in the back
and started talking. Before Weiss knew it, Bush was inviting himself to
Weiss's law office the next day. He knew the family name and he was
flattered – but he never thought he'd see him again. The next morning,
there was Bush standing in front of his desk.

"I was just a fella here in Lubbock," Weiss said. "I was honored that he
would allocate all that time to the conversation. I agreed to work as
his [county] chairman."

On the issues, there was little difference among Bush, Reese and a third
candidate in the primary, Joe Hickox, a retired Air Force lieutenant
colonel. They were conservatives opposed to big government, inflation
and anything that would harm the oil patch. Asked once whether he was
too closely aligned with the oil industry, Bush replied: "There's no
such thing as being too closely aligned with the oil industry in West
Texas."

By early 1978, Reese had made Bush's background the main issue. He
repeatedly referred to Bush "Junior" (he isn't because he doesn't have
Herbert in his middle name) and called him a "liberal Northeast
Republican." And he spent considerable time discussing the senior Bush's
affiliation with the controversial Trilateral Commission, a group of
international political and corporate leaders viewed by many
conservatives then as sinister elitists plotting to establish a world
government.

In April, one month before the primary, Reagan took the unusual step of
writing a letter of endorsement for Reese. His political action
committee gave the Reese campaign $1,000. Before long, the race was
being portrayed as an early Bush-Reagan presidential showdown in the
state.

Clay Johnson, Bush's old friend from Andover and Yale who came out to
Midland to be with his buddy the night of the May 6 primary, couldn't
believe the endless accusations against Bush and his father.

"How can you stand it?" Johnson asked his friend, but got no response.

When the votes were counted, Bush had forced Reese into a runoff. At his
Midland campaign headquarters, Bush jumped up on a folding chair to
thank his cheering supporters. As he stepped down, he spotted Johnson.

"That's how I stand it," he said. "There are some benefits – to have ...
people excited about what you're trying to do."

Four days before the runoff, Reese produced a copy of Bush's birth
certificate and accused Bush of omitting the fact that he was born in
New Haven. A Bush aide insisted it was an error of "punctuation" – not
deliberate deception. The brochure had said: "Born July 6, 1946 and
raised in Midland, Texas."

In a last-minute letter, Reese again accused "George Jr." of being a
liberal Rockefeller-type Republican. And Reagan's PAC plowed another
$2,000 into Reese's campaign, prompting his father to tell The
Washington Post the day before the runoff: "I'm not interested in
getting into an argument with Reagan. But I am surprised about what he
is doing here, in my state. ... They are making a real effort to defeat
George."

Lyn Nofziger, a longtime aide to Reagan, said Bush's father complained
directly to the California governor about the endorsement. Nofziger said
he told Reagan, " 'Governor, we're supporting a guy who supported you.'
... We didn't owe George W. anything. We didn't owe [George H.W.] Bush
anything." On June 3, Bush carried only one of the district's 17
counties, Midland, but that was enough to defeat Reese by 1,400 votes.
That night, Bush said he and Laura were looking for an apartment in
Lubbock, where he had been soundly beaten.

Carpetbagging Charges Dog the Yale-Harvard Grad

State Sen. Kent Hance, winner of the Democratic primary, had grown up in
Lubbock and gone to college there at Texas Tech University. He picked up
right where Reese left off, accusing Bush of being an "outsider" and a
dilettante "riding his daddy's coattails."
"George Bush hasn't earned the living he enjoys," Hance said. "I'm on my
own two feet and I make my own living."

Bush didn't help himself in his first television ad, which showed him
jogging around a track. No one jogs in Muleshoe, Hance and his
supporters joked, not unless you're trying to get away from someone.

With the help of friends and his father's contacts, Bush raised $400,000
– a nice sum for 1978. But his list of contributors – names like that of
former president Ford, baseball commissioner Bowie Kuhn and film
producer Jerry Weintraub – made Bush vulnerable to Hance's charges that
outside money was trying to buy the election.

Hance was making headway, and Bush's advisers begged him to go on the
attack.

"George ran a nice-guy campaign," recalled Ernest Angelo, who was then a
Republican national committeeman as well as the mayor of Midland. "I
told him toward the end that you couldn't run a nice-guy campaign. He
said, 'That's what Kent is doing too.' Well, sure enough, in the last 10
days Kent Hance unloaded with everything but the kitchen sink."

In a series of radio ads in those final days, Hance contrasted his local
roots with Bush's eastern education. While Hance was attending Dimmit
High School, Bush was at Andover; while Hance was at Texas Tech, Bush
was at Yale. And on it went.

During a debate 10 days before the election, Hance drawled that his
"daddy and granddad were farmers. They didn't have anything do with the
mess we're in right now, and Bush's father has been in politics his
whole life."

Washington is the way it is, said Hance, precisely because of all those
Yale fellas running the place.

In rural corners, talk about the Trilateral Commission and its purported
evils wouldn't go away, Evans recalled. "It was everywhere." And it
frustrated Bush.

At a Jaycees luncheon in Odessa, Mel Turner, a well-known radio
personality, asked Bush whether he or any member of his family was
involved in the commission or one-world government. Bush, Turner
recalls, turned red and never directly answered.

After the lunch was over, Turner positioned himself by the door to say
his goodbyes to the candidates and guests. Bush, he said, refused to
shake his hand. "You [expletive]," Bush said as he brushed by.

Turner was a conservative Republican at the time but voted for Hance.

The Bush team tried to counter with its own five-minute paid TV
biography. But it was too late. "Once the cat was out of the bag, it was
too hard to counter," said Evans.

Bush's undoing came in the final days of the campaign at the hands of
one of his own volunteers. A Texas Tech student working for Bush ran an
ad in the school paper, inviting students to a "Bush Bash" with free
beer.

Hance seized on it. His law partner mailed a "Dear Fellow Christian"
letter to 4,000 members of the Church of Christ, accusing Bush of "using
tactics to secure votes which do not indicate" good character.

"Mr. Bush has used some of his vast sums of money in an attempt,
evidently, to persuade young college students to vote for ... him by
offering free alcohol to them," the letter said.

"Maybe it's a cool thing to do at Harvard or Yale," Hance said to a
reporter.

Bush had his own information that Hance owned a piece of property near
Texas Tech that he leased to a bar patronized by students. His staff
begged him to expose Hance as a hypocrite, but Bush refused.

"Kent lives here," Bush told them. "If I win he has to come back to
live. I'm not going to ruin the guy in his home town. He's not a bad
person."

In a recent interview, Bush said he now believes he made a mistake in
not counterattacking. "I think in retrospect I would have done it
differently," Bush said. "I chose not to do it because I thought at the
time that people would see the hypocrisy miscalculated, I thought more
people knew [about the bar]."

Ten years later, when he became his father's liaison with Christian
conservatives, he concluded that he could have just as effectively
communicated with those 4,000 church members in Lubbock. By then Bush
had undergone his own religious experience.

"He realized he had been ambushed in 1978," said Doug Wead, who worked
closely with George W. as an evangelical adviser to the 1988
presidential campaign.

Bush carried only one county, Midland, but in a congressional district
that had never elected a Republican, managed to win 47 percent of the
vote. He blamed his defeat on "provincialism" – the voters of the
district had simply decided they wanted someone from Lubbock. Hance, who
became a Republican in the mid-'80s, is now a lawyer in Austin.

After the congressional race, Bush's friends decided that he was
ill-suited for the minutiae and tedium of Congress. They began to see
him as someone who would thrive in a broader management position. Like
CEO of a company. Or governor of a state.

Two years after Bush's defeat, however, his father was elected vice
president, and eight years later he became president. Bush decided that
he could not run again until his father was out of public office.

Staff researchers Madonna Lebling and Margot Williams contributed to
this report.

© 1999 The Washington Post Company
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,