> ------- DISSENT / SUMMER 1999/ VOLUME 46, NUMBER 3
> -------
>
> The Crisis of Globalization
>
> James K. Galbraith
>
> The doctrine known as the Washington Consensus was, after its
> fashion, the Apostle's Creed of globalization. It was an
> expression of faith, that markets are efficient, that states are
> unnecessary, that the poor and the rich have no conflicting
> interests, that things turn out for the best when left alone. It
> held that privatization and deregulation and open capital markets
> promote economic development, that governments should balance
> budgets and fight inflation and do almost nothing else.
>
> But none of this is actually true.
>
> The truth is that poor people -- vast majorities in most
> countries of the world -- need to eat every day. Policies that
> guarantee that they can do so, and with steadily improving diets
> and housing and health and other material conditions of life over
> long time spans, are good policies. Policies that foster
> instability directly or indirectly, that prevent poor people from
> eating in the name of efficiency or liberalism or even in the
> name of freedom, are not good policies. And it is possible to
> distinguish policies that meet this minimum standard from
> policies that do not.
>
> The push for competition, deregulation, privatization and open
> capital markets has actually undermined economic prospects for
> many millions of the world's poorest people. It is therefore not
> merely a naive and misguided crusade. To the extent that it
> undermines the stable provision of daily bread, it is actively
> dangerous to the safety and stability of the world, including to
> ourselves. The greatest single danger right now is in Russia, a
> catastrophic example of the failure of free market doctrine. But
> serious dangers have also emerged in Asia and Latin America and
> they are not going to go away soon.
>
> There is, in short, a crisis of the Washington Consensus.
>
> The crisis of the Washington Consensus is visible to everybody.
> But not everybody is willing to admit it. Indeed, as bad policies
> produced policy failures, those committed to the policies
> developed a defense mechanism. This is the argument that treats
> every unwelcome case as an unfortunate exception. Mexico was an
> exception -- there was a revolt in Chiapas, an assassination in
> Tijuana. Then Korea, Thailand, Indonesia became exceptions:
> corruption, crony capitalism on an unimaginably massive scale,
> was discovered, but after the crisis hit. And then there came the
> Russian exception. In Russia, we are told, Dostoyevskian
> criminality welled up from the corpse of Soviet communism to
> overcome the efficiencies and incentives of free markets.
>
> But when the exceptions outnumber the examples, there must be
> trouble with the rules. Where are the continuing success stories
> of liberalization, privatization, deregulation, sound money and
> [...]

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.