-Caveat Lector-

an excerpt from:
Were We Controlled?
Lincoln Lawerence(C) 1967
University Books, Inc.
New Hyde Park, N. Y.
out -of-print
-------
Excusa, but in the last post two pages were missing.

-----
A very interesting book. A bit of a hard read at the beginning, but then, the
author(a psuedonymn) is covering some hard to grasp subjects. One thing to
notice is that the operation( or at least parts of it ) began before even JFK
was elected. Also there are very many interesting facts and theories
presented. And for those with questions about Bunge corporation, it is
discussed also.
--
This book has recently been reissued in an annotated version, with much
additional material, Highly reccommended.

--[7]--

18
Evaluating The Structure Of The Rumor

Before we move on to the execution of the crime, let us admit that it is
simpler to accept the theory of the lone killer Oswald than even to consider
The Rumor. It is far more comfortable to embrace the idea that Oswald's
momentary madness alone caused the tragedy and that after it was over, we
were left with just a bad memory. But we are haunted with the realization
that the facts simply do not fit this concept.

We are left with Mr. One a nervous, guilt-ridden man who fears the exposure
of The Rumor.
What supports this conjecture? Penn Jones, Jr., editor and publisher of the
Texas newspaper, The Midlothian Mirror, has established in his excellent
reports that at least thirteen persons who possessed possibly crucial
information about the assassination have met with mysterious deaths.

Penn Jones has probably done more than anyone outside of the official
investigative agencies to turn up new facts about the case. In his reports,
Mr. Jones makes it quite clear that someone (Mr. One) is still tidying up
loose ends.

One renowned member of the American press was aware of The Rumor and it
troubled her. She was the late Dorothy Kilgallen, widely read gossip
columnist and feature writer. The only reporter who had a private interview
with Ruby, she must not be discounted simply because she dealt in the
sensational. Dorothy numbered among her news sources, as this author has good
reason to know, some of the most reliable authorities in high positions in
the nation. She also had an army of press-agents and crackpots feeding her
unfounded stories. If it so pleased her to fill a column with interesting
readable fluff, she was not above doing exactly that. As the daughter of a
famed veteran reporter, when the big story came along, Dorothy knew very well
how to pinpoint the truth and cut away all superfluous nonsense. She was the
woman dubbed by both Damon Runyon and Ernest Hemingway as "the best reporter
of our time."

The simple facts of the matter are these: Dorothy went to Dallas. She
unearthed something so sensational that it would appear that she was thrown a
healthy "bone" to keep her away from her typewriter for the moment. The
"bone" was an accurate advance exclusive scoop of part of the testimony of
the Warren Commission. It was an unprecedented favor granted to her; it was
probably done to divert her from going in certain other directions in her
investigation of the case. This, in the opinion of the author, was not done
by the Government! In August of 1964, her exclusive bylined scoop made every
reporter in America jealous. This, however, didn't really satisfy Dorothy.
Underneath was a craving to print what she thought she had really uncovered.

As a willful spirited loner in her field, it was inevitable that when the
mood eventually struck her, she would "leak" some of what was evidently
intended never to reach print. She did exactly that.

On the night of December 21, 1964, she suddenly cast aside caution. In the
middle of her column, after an innocuous item about Judy Garland, Dorothy
switched into high-gear and wrote the following item. Her heading indicates
she was absolutely sure her source was beyond question. It was

MEMO TO PRESIDENT JOHNSON: "'Please check with the State Department ... the
leaders of our Armed Forces or our chief scientists, to discover what, if
anything, we are doing to explore the ramifications of 'cloud-busting' which
in its refined stages means thought control [our emphasis] . . . and could
change the history of the world. We could catch up if someone in command gave
the word before it was too late."

Later, in the fall of the next year (September 3, 1965), Dorothy Kilgallen
wrote that she knew that if the whole story of the reason for Marina and
Lee's behavior ever came out, it would split open the front pages of
newspapers all over the world.

We believe it was The Rumor she was writing about when in that same column
she warned, "The story isn't going to die as long as there's a real reporter
alive—and there are a lot of them alive."

 In a fascinating account in Ramparts magazine, reporter David Welsh offers
the following postscript to Dorothy Kilgallen's role in the Oswald
investigation. In connection with her death on November 8, 1965, Welsh
reports:

A)  A make-up man on her TV show quoted Kilgallen as saying shortly before
her death that she would "'crack this case."

B)  A show-business intimate of Dorothy's claims that she told him in the
last days of her life, "In five more days I'm going to bust this case wide
open."

C)  Mary Branum, an editor of Screen Stars magazine, said she received a
phone call a few hours before Dorothy's body was discovered announcing that
Kilgallen had been murdered!

D)  Dr. James Luke, a New York City medical examiner, said there was no way
of determining whether her death by "acute barbiturate and alcohol
intoxication" was an accident, a suicide ... or murder!

Was there in fact any connection between Dorothy Kilgallen's investigation of
the Kennedy assassination and her death? We do not know . . but she must be
credited as the first to sound a serious warning in print to the general
public about thought control. We do not believe that the unfinished story of
Dorothy Kilgallen will be lost forever in yellowing old back issues.

We certainly agree with our many hard-working compatriots who have researched
the point to an almost unbelievable degree that the witnesses who saw puffs
of smoke from the knoll area were right.

There were indeed two rifles in play at the moment of the assassination. This
would confirm the public testimony of the Governor of Texas and his wife
whose observations, if accurate, would mean there had to be bullets from more
than one source.

It was never, according to The Rumor, ever intended to be any other way.
However, before we get to the second killer, consider the choice of Lee
Oswald!

Mr. One had Lee Oswald "tested" very carefully to see if he would crumple
when the crucial moment came or would calmly follow his control instructions.

These tests came in two stages.

The first test was designed to see if, under instructions, Lee would shoot at
General Walker, a prominent public figure. He was given the instructions.

Lee took his rifle. He met an aide of Mr. One's. They drove to Walker's
house. Lee calmly aimed the rifle and as soon as the other man saw that he
would and did pull the trigger, he deliberately knocked the rifle off-target
and led Oswald away to the car and they escaped. Nothing was to be gained by
actually killing Walker. In fact, much could be lost.

The second test was to determine if Lee would calmly execute a man even
further up the ladder of public prominence. This time, a few weeks later, he
was told that the former Vice President of the United States was to be his
target.

Lee showed up at his rendezvous point and indicated he was under complete
control and ready to act. This pleased Mr. One, who felt that Oswald was now
ready.

This incident was later brought out in the Warren Commission report.

It must be noted that only The Rumor can explain why Oswald "thought" he was
going out of the house to shoot Vice-President Nixon who was not even in the
city at that time!

Mr. One and his aides evidently stayed close to the scene in Texas during the
months of preparations for the fatal day. His penchant for determining for
sure that a person's "control" was complete may have prompted him to order
Tino De Angelis to New Orleans—at the time Lee Oswald was still there with
Marina. De Angelis did admit to making a trip to New Orleans—seemingly a most
remote place indeed to a man who had the troubles he did. This trip is noted
in File 7036, Document 326, on page 28 of the Court Records.

In reconstructing the time-table of the crime, we see Lee Harvey Oswald,
completely under R.H.I.C. control, calmly waiting at a window for the Kennedy
car to pass by the metal traffic sign. This, he has been instructed, is the
precise moment he is to fire at the President. Another gunman is on the knoll
near the overpass (a crack marksman elected by Mr. One, unknown to Oswald, to
re-inforce his shooting).

His nerves are steady and his reflexes liquid-smooth for R.H.I.C. is
completely in control, allowing no anxiety or nervousness to upset his aim.
He is therefore better than the average marksman at this moment.

The car passes the sign. Both gunmen start fire at almost the same time. Then
the almost robot-like Oswald, as per his instructions, leaves the rifle and
unconcernedly slips downstairs and shortly thereafter OUt of the building. He
is carrying his pistol on him. (This differs with printed theories that he
went home and got it.) He has been controlled to forget his deadly rifle
attack the minute he has fired three shots and to have no more memory of
having fired them.

He is, however, controlled to expect that he may have trouble with a
policeman that day. If it comes and it is serious if he is accused of
committing some major crime he is to shoot his way out of the trouble! He is
controlled to believe that unless he does, he will be convicted of a very
serious charge. (He is told to take this action in the hope that he will
shoot it out and be conveniently killed!)

He has been controlled to understand that some great excitement will cause
the Depository to be shut down—no work for the day. When that occurs, he is
simply to quit work and kill time for the rest of the day . . . do anything
that he enjoys . . . but of course . . . always with pistol handy in case of
trouble.

The "trouble" comes when sharp-eyed Tippit does spot Oswald from the
description . . . senses he may be the killer . . . and of course is himself
killed while trying to pursue this point!

Oswald has been controlled many times to call for the legal help of John Abt
if he ever needs aid. (This to throw a false clue toward the political left).
He does. When Abt does not show up, he doesn't call any other lawyer . . .
simply because he wasn't controlled for that eventuality.

The control only went so far, and therefore so did Oswald's robot-like demand
for legal help.

He remained calm and of course sure of his innocence in connection with the
President's slaying.

 *  *   *

In the same city . . . Jack Ruby reacted in his typical extroverted and
sensitive way to what was a traumatic experience for "his" Dallas . . . and
underneath lay the "controlled" Ruby waiting for the signal of a phrase that
he was pre-set to act upon, according to The Rumor, when he heard it over the
telephone.

That  phone call came shortly before 10:00 a.m. On Sunday. Ruby was directed
to slip immediately under "control" . . . to behave politely to everyone and
go about his business in a normal manner and to kill Lee Harvey Oswald! He
was already thoroughly primed as to his motives which were at the least
sentimental and somewhat credible. This call was simply to say, in effect, do
it now. When just a minute or two later Karen "Little Lynn", one of the
performers in his Carousel Club, telephoned to ask a favor, she recalls that
he replied, "Well, I have to go downtown anyway".

He did go downtown . . . and the familiar face of Jack Ruby was his passport
to the right area . . . and he did indeed (completely under R.H.I.C. control)
kill Lee Harvey Oswald!!

But there was a fateful crack in the R.H.I.C. curtain and through the
inadequate application of R.H.I.C. to Jack Ruby's subconscious, he never
quite forgot certain conversations that he overheard during his original
indoctrination. He heard and retained (partly in his conscious) some fearful
realization of an anti-Semitic, Nazi-like nature to the conspiring group who
were trying to control him. Like a child who is trying to talk about
something beyond him, Ruby attempted in some of his public testimony to
express some of this in words. He did very badly and in fact sometimes
appeared rambling and disturbed—as indeed he was, but for a reason no one
suspected.

There are a few facts in connection with Ruby's mutterings which we should
evaluate for just a moment:

For some reason, never explained, the assassination had its greatest effect
(except for the U.S.) in, of all places, Argentina.

On the night of the tragedy, Dr. Arthur U. Illia, President of Argentina,
called an extraordinary first cabinet meeting. Just how extra special this
was, is indicated by the fact that he did not call such a meeting again until
June 10, 1965—and not again until his third and last one, which he called
when he was ousted from office in July of 1966.

Did he call that first cabinet meeting because he felt that something had
happened that day that would benefit a group dedicated to ending his stay in
power in Argentina and perhaps in some way gave this group the power—or the
money—to eventually move him out of office?

Were these people in this "group" the anti-Semitic fascists that Jack Ruby
feared? Consider this.

Directly after the military coup removed Illia from office in 1966, this
appeared in The New York Times of July 3:

"The arrest of six directors of a Jewish-led credit union cooperative
heightened tension among Argentina's half million Jews today."

Later, in the article, it was noted that "nervousness has been rising among
the Jewish community" since the military coup and "police squads arrested
several shopkeepers in raids in a largely Jewish shopping arcade . . ."

To be sure, the impact of Kennedy's death caused many a foreign leader to
give thought and express grief. But in Argentina, for some strange reason, a
most extraordinary cabinet meeting was called by the man who was later ousted
by a group whose Nazi-like actions were reported in The New York Times in the
manner above.

We debated whether to include this slim clue to the possible credibility of
Ruby's fears. We have included these facts because we think you should make
the decision as to whether they in any way support what is known as The Rumor.

Why, you may ask, if The Rumor is true did all the authorities fail to
uncover it?

In this author's opinion, one can only marvel that so many investigators, at
so many points, pecked away with such integrity at the only visible threads
of evidence left by what surely was the cleverest, most technically
sophisticated crime ever committed.

Without starting from the approach we have taken—without prior understanding
of the tools and the motive it is an almost unsolvable crime. If The Rumor
has any basis in fact, then the patterns in this book will provide a handy
guideline to future researchers who will seek out the truth.

Over and over again, those who investigated De Angelis and members of the
Commission staff asked questions that laid bare parts of the structure of The
Rumor. Instead of ridiculing their ignorance and lack of attention to their
task, we often wondered as we reviewed the whole story what led them so often
to the very edge of what may be the Big Truth.

The Rumor does offer:

1) A motive for the assassination.

2) An explanation for the aberration of time in so many of the witnesses'
stories.

3) A key to the strangely mentally-confused Jack Ruby's actions and
statements.

4) The only rational explanation for the Nixon incident.

5) The only answer to the question of why "crack marksman" Oswald could not
hit the easy target provided by General Walker's stationary figure at a
window.

6) The only credible explanation for the self-destructive course taken by De
Angelis and Allied.

7) The unlocking of the riddle of Oswald and Marina.

But, you may say to yourself, who would believe that a man would be prepared
years before to come back to this country to perform such an act?

Not all among us were sleeping. One at least considered the possibility. That
man told the Commission:

"But just the day before yesterday information came to me indicating that
there is an espionage training school outside of Minsk . . . I don't know
whether it is true . . . and that he [Oswald] was trained at that school to
come back to this country to become what they call a 'sleeper' . . . that is
a man who will remain dormant for three or four years and in case of
international hostilities rise up and be used."

This extraordinary statement was made by J. Edgar Hoover!

Is it all true . . . or is it just a Rumor?

pps159-173
-------
ABOUT "LINCOLN LAWRENCE"

Lincoln Lawrence, (under his own name) has written for newspapers, magazines,
and broadcast media for over 25 years.

He has been a network news TV commentator.

He has a vast number of important information sources in Washington and New
York.

At the time of the assassination he was working on a project (for a highly
respected American organization) which called for the active participation of
President John F. Kennedy. Towards this end, he was working in liaison with
the Department of Defense.

Shocked by the news from Dallas, and unsatisfied with the printed accounts .
. . he worked quietly behind-the-scenes for almost three years preparing this
analysis of what he feels, in the cold light of the future, will be
considered the most challenging of all the rumors about the tragedy.

In no sense does he feel he is proving a conspiracy (he avoids the word in
the book) . . . but rather . . . as the title implies . . . simply examining
the structure . . . of a rumor. A rumor, so deadly in its implications, that
Lincoln Lawrence felt it could not be ignored!
--fini--
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.
Em Hotep, Peace Be,