~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> [...]
> ensure students' free-speech rights aren't being violated.
>
> "From the very beginning, I knew I was right and, perhaps
> blindly, I just always hoped the world was fair," said Shapiro,
> who's majoring in political science and economic science.
>
> Shapiro's battle began late last year after he posted a
> handwritten sign on his dorm window that was deemed to have
> violated the "fighting words" policy. It read: "F--- Netanyahu
> and Pinochet."
>
> Shapiro posted the sign after reading newspaper stories about
> Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and biological weapons
> research, and the arrest of former Chilean dictator Augusto
> Pinochet, who was charged with crimes against humanity.
>
> Shapiro, a National Merit Scholar from Hidden Hills near Los
> Angeles, said he got a crash course in First Amendment law by
> researching cases that supported his belief that the sign was
> constitutionally protected as free speech. He used those cases to
> petition UCSD officials to repeal the punishment, but his request
> was denied.
>
> A letter to Shapiro denying his petition chastised him for being
> "unnecessarily obstinate" for refusing to remove the
> "depressingly inarticulate" sign.
>
> "He's a very bright, articulate young man who chose his words
> quite intentionally," said Jordan Budd, an attorney for the ACLU
> of San Diego and Imperial counties. "He intended to trigger some
> debate about human rights issues."
>
> The ACLU filed the lawsuit on Shapiro's behalf to change policies
> that "gave university administrators unbridled discretion to
> censor fliers and banners on campus that they deemed offensive,"
> Budd said.
>
> The settlement calls for university officials to revise a policy
> that outlined guidelines regulating the distribution and posting
> of non-commercial fliers, posters and banners.
>
> "That policy, we believe, did not meet constitutional
> requirements, but I think, had it not been with the problems with
> that policy, Ben Shapiro would not have been disciplined," said
> University of California attorney Christopher Patti.
>
> Nick Aguilar, UCSD director of student policy and judicial
> affairs, said the policies needed tightening to avoid being
> misinterpreted by administrators, but defended the university's
> stance on free speech.
>
> "UCSD has a record of defending free speech, whether it be by
> individuals or by our various student media," Aguilar said.
>
> The agreement also requires University of California attorneys to
> outline guidelines on how to interpret a section in the student
> code that pertains to the use of "fighting words." In general,
> the section is intended to prevent speech that the Supreme Court
> found in the 1942 decision Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire is not
> protected by the First Amendment, Patti said.
>
> The university must also suspend a three-hour community service
> sentence imposed on Shapiro and purge his record of any mention

From
freedomforum.org/speech/1999/8/12caucsandiego.asp

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At this site, an examination of the ruling about "fighting"
words can be found (Chaplinsky vs New Hampshire)
http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/comm/free_speech/chaplinsky.html

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.