one of the sites that was a eye opener for me.
figured out why Mark Twain is not widely read,
and it is not because of the supposedly black prejudice!
piper
http://www.boondocksnet.com/

--
Any person can stand adversity,
The true test is to give a person power.

Title: BoondocksNet.com
Boondocks   BoondocksNet.com
Boondocks, n., hinterland, remote and
underdeveloped area. From Tagalog
bundok, meaning mountain... more
  Amazon.com Auctions
Aug. 15, 1999

Anti-Imperialism in the United States
Essays and contemporary texts, photographs and political cartoons introduce the organizations formed to oppose U.S. territorial and economic imperialism.

Fighting in the Philippines
A book of 127 photographs of the war published by F. Tennyson Neely in 1899.

Historical Graphics Gallery
Browse or search the photographs, political cartoons and maps included in this site.

Imperialism in the Making of America
Chronological, subject and author indices to hundreds of articles published in American magazines from the late 1800s to 1901 available online at the Making of America sites at Cornell University and the University of Michigan.

Mark Twain on the Philippines
Twain's writings on the Philippine-American War, contemporary criticism, and essays about his involvement with the Anti-Imperialist League.

Sentenaryo/Centennial
The enduring cultural and political consequences of the Philippine Revolution and Philippine-American War.

Stereoscopic Visions of War and Empire
Interpretive archive of stereoscopic photographs of the Spanish-American and Philippine-American wars, world's fairs, and other representations of the American empire.

"The White Man's Burden" and Its Critics
Rudyard Kipling's classic exhortation to empire and more than fifty contemporary responses to the poem.

World's Fairs and Expositions: Defining America and the World, 1876-1916
An extensive directory of hundreds of online resources about the expositions held in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

At About.com
Mark Twain's Anti-Imperialist Writings
>From the 1866 letters from Hawaii to his last writings on the Philippine-American War, Russia, and the Belgian Congo. Also includes biographical and critical studies, historical contexts, study guides, teaching resources, and a thorough bibliography.

          Highlights
Frederic Remington
Illustrated articles, from Buffalo soldiers in the West to the Santiago campaign in Cuba.

Filipinos at World's Fairs
Displays of "primitive peoples" and anti-imperialist opposition to them.

To the Senate
Anti-imperialist petition about atrocities in Samar and Batangas, 1902.

The Conquest of Haiti
By Herbert J. Seligmann, July 1920.

The Philippine Tangle
Anti-imperialist essay by philosopher William James, 1899.

Democracy or Militarism
Speech by Jane Addams at an anti-imperialist mass meeting in Chicago, April 1899.

Filipino - American Oppositional Solidarity
By Jim Zwick, Amerasia Journal (Summer 1998).

Centennial Books
"Benevolent Assimilation": The American Conquest of the Philippines, 1899-1903, by Stuart Creighton Miller.

Contesting Images: Photography and the World's Columbian Exposition, by Julie K. Brown.

Pavilions of Plenty: Exhibiting American Culture Abroad in the 1950s, by Robert H. Haddow.

Search BoondocksNet.com

BoondocksNet.com Search New Forum Calendar Centennial Books Marketplace Speakers The Editor
Navigation Menu

Copyright © 1995-1999 Jim Zwick. All rights reserved.
Please see the Conditions of Use.