-Caveat Lector-

Los Angeles Times
State and Local
Sunday, August 15, 1999
http://www.latimes.com/HOME/NEWS/STATE/t000072750.html
By Joe Mozingo, Times Staff Writer

Congregants arriving at a synagogue in East Hollywood on Saturday were
confronted with a swastika and the words "Jews Die" spray-painted on the
front of the building overnight.

Many of those who attend services at Temple Knesset Israel on Vermont
Avenue are elderly Holocaust survivors who were horrified by the act of
hatred.  Officers from the Los Angeles Police Department's Northeast
station documented the vandalism and notified the department's crimincal
conspiracy section.

"I believe it's a copycat thing.  Somebody wants a little press," said
Sgt. Sanford Rosenberg, referring to last week's shooting at a Jewish
community center in Granada Hills.

He said whoever committed the crime would be charged with felony vandalism
for defacing a place of worship and would face increased penalties for
committing a hate crime.  In the temple's mailbox, offcers found a letter
that appeared to be anti-British.

"It doesn't make sense," one officer said. The letter was confusing, at
times saying the British were going to start interning people, she said.

The temple's president, Harvey Shield, is British.

Shield said that in light of the incident he will hire a private security
guard for the holy days in September.  Last week, when congregants
suggested increasing security after Tuesday's shooting, he said he was
reluctant to do so.  "My initial response was: 'Let's not overreact so
quickly,'" he said.  "Now there is no question about it."

Police said they will step up patrols in the area.

The painted letters, scrawled at the entrance to the preschool, were about
six feet high.  The doors to the temple have gates in fron of them, making
it difficult for vandals to reach them, but owrshipers could easily see
the hateful message as the they stepped inside.  Shield said about a dozen
people saw the swastika.

Police painted over the graffiti Saturday morning, but worshipers were
still worried.

"Can we get some protection here for the rest of the morning?" parishioner
Frances Miller asked Rosenberg.  "I'm afraid to be here now."  The
sixty-one year old Los Feliz resident said much of her family who had
perished during the Holocaust in Poland and her three cousins who survived
for months by hiding in ahole in a cemetery under a fallen tombstone.  She
broke into tears when she saw the vandalism.

"This could be a warning," she said, adding that she is always wary of
hate crimes.  "I don't like to be in any large groups that could be
targeted by a hate group."