-Caveat Lector-

              HILLARY'S WATERGATE SCANDAL
              By JERRY ZEIFMAN

             She violated House and committee rules by
             disclosing confidential information to
             unauthorized persons. IN December 1974, as
             general counsel and chief of staff of the
             House Judiciary Committee, I made a
             personal evaluation of Hillary Rodham (now
             Mrs. Clinton), a member of the staff we had
             gathered for our impeachment inquiry on
             President Richard Nixon. I decided that I
             could not recommend her for any future
             position of public or private trust.

             Why? Hillary's main duty on our staff has
             been described by her authorized biographer
             as "establishing the legal procedures to be
             followed in the course of the inquiry and
             impeachment." A number of the procedures
             she recommended were ethically flawed.
             And I also concluded that she had violated
             House and committee rules by disclosing
             confidential information to unauthorized
             persons.

             Hillary had conferred personally with me
             regarding procedural rules. I advised her
             that Judiciary Committee Chairman Peter
             Rodino, House Speaker Carl Albert,
             Majority Leader Tip O'Neill and I had
             previously agreed not to advocate anything
             contrary to the rules already adopted and
             published for that Congress. I quoted Mr.
             O'Neill's statement that: "To try to change
             the rules now would be politically divisive.
             It would be like trying to change the
             traditional rules of baseball before a World
             Series."

             Hillary assured me that she had not drafted
             and would not advocate any such rules
             changes. I soon learned that she had lied:
             She had already drafted changes, and
             continued to advocate them.

             In one written legal memorandum, she
             advocated denying President Nixon
             representation by counsel. This, though in
             our then-most-recent prior impeachment
             proceeding, the committee had afforded the
             right to counsel to Supreme Court Justice
             William O. Douglas.

             I also informed Hillary that the Douglas
             impeachment files were available for public
             inspection in our offices. I later learned that
             the Douglas files were then removed from
             our general files without my permission,
             transferred to the offices of the impeachment
             inquiry staff, and were no longer accessible
             to the public.

             The young Ms. Rodham had other bad
             advice about procedures, arguing that the
             Judiciary Committee should neither 1) hold
             any hearings with or take the depositions of
             any live witnesses, nor 2) conduct any
             original investigation of Watergate, bribery,
             tax evasion, or any other possible
             impeachable offense of President Nixon -
             but to rely instead on prior investigations
             conducted by other committees and agencies.

             The committee rejected Ms. Rodham's
             recommendations: It agreed to allow
             President Nixon to be represented by
             counsel and to hold hearings with live
             witnesses.

             Hillary then advocated that the official rules
             of the House be amended to deny members
             of the committee the right to question
             witnesses. This unfair recommendation was
             rejected by the full House. (The committee
             also vetoed her suggestion that it leave the
             drafting of the articles of impeachment to her
             and her fellow special staffers.)

             The recommendations advocated by Hillary
             were apparently initiated or approved by
             Yale Law School professor Burke Marshall
             - in violation of committee and House rules
             on confidentiality. They were also
             advocated by her immediate supervisors,
             Special Counsel John Doar and Senior
             Associate Special Counsel Bernard
             Nussbaum, both of whom had worked under
             Marshall in the Kennedy Justice Department.

             It was not until two months after Nixon's
             resignation that I first learned of still another
             questionable role of Ms. Rodham. On Sept.
             26, 1974, Rep. Charles Wiggins, a
             Republican member of the committee, wrote
             to ask Chairman Rodino to look into a
             troubling set of events. That spring, Wiggins
             and other committee members had asked
             "that research should be undertaken so as to
             furnish a standard against which to test the
             alleged abusive conduct of Richard Nixon."
             And, while "no such staff study was made
             available to the members at any time for
             their use," Wiggins had just learned that such
             a study had been conducted - at committee
             expense - by a team of professors who
             completed and filed their reports with the
             impeachment-inquiry staff well in advance
             of our public hearings.

             The report was not made available to
             members of Congress. But after the
             impeachment-inquiry staff was disbanded, it
             was published commercially and sold in
             book stores.

             Wiggins wrote that he was "especially
             troubled by the possibility that information
             deemed essential by some of the members in
             their discharge of their responsibilities may
             have been intentionally suppressed by the
             staff during the course of our investigation."

             On Oct. 3, Rodino wrote back: "Hillary
             Rodham of the impeachment-inquiry staff
             coordinated the work. ... After the staff
             received the report it was reviewed by Ms.
             Rodham, briefly by Mr. Labovitz and Mr.
             Sack, and by Mr. Doar. The staff did not
             think the manuscript was useful in its present
             form."

             On the charge of willful suppression, he
             wrote: "That was not the case ... The staff
             did not think the material was usable by the
             committee in its existing form and had not
             had time to modify it so it would have
             practical utility for the members of the
             committee. I was informed and agreed with
             the judgment."

             During my 14-year tenure with the House
             Judiciary Committee, I had supervisory
             authority over several hundred staff
             members. With the exception of Ms.
             Rodham, Doar and Nussbaum, I recommend
             all of them for future positions of public and
             private trust.

             ---

             Jerry Zeifman ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) is the
             author of "Without Honor: The Impeachment
             of President Nixon and the Crimes of
             Camelot," which describes the above
             matters in more detail.

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      *Mike Spitzer*     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                         ~~~~~~~~          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

       Shalom, A Salaam Aleikum, and to all, A Good Day.