-Caveat Lector-

>  ISSUE 1543Monday 16 August 1999
>
> 'The perfect spy, the perfect husband'
>
> <Picture><Picture>The widow of Kim Philby, the MI6 traitor,
> insists that their marriage was almost embarrassingly idyllic. He
> would, however, never share the secrets of his work as a KGB
> operative - or of his home-made curries. Interview by Marcus
> Warren in Moscow
>
> SHE is sitting beside an armchair that belonged to Guy Burgess,
> opposite an engraving presumed to be a gift from Anthony Blunt,
> and next to a huge radio on which her husband listened to the BBC
> World Service. This is the Moscow flat in which, if Kim Philby's
> widow is to be believed, she and her husband lived in matrimonial
> bliss that lasted until his death 11 years ago.
>
> As Rufina tells it, her marriage to the spy who betrayed a
> generation of British intelligence officers to his Soviet
> controllers was not just preternaturally happy; in its own quiet
> way, theirs was one of the great love stories of recent times. He
> called her his "tempestuous redhead". Surrounded by mementoes of
> her late husband, at 66 she is still a handsome woman, whose red
> hair is complemented by a large pair of pink-rimmed specs.
>
> <Picture>
> The spy who loved me: Rufina Philby insists her husband was not a
> traitor "After Kim, I couldn't live with anyone else," she says.
> "After his death I tried to remember anything he had done wrong
> so that I could feel bitter. But there was nothing. He really was
> perfect, quite the perfect husband."
>
> Even so, she recalls him complaining towards the end of his life:
> "No one ever gave me anything. They only took." There seems to be
> more than a hint in this of resentment at being manipulated or
> unrewarded by the system he embraced with such fervour as a young
> undergraduate at Cambridge. But his widow is unable to throw any
> light on this: extraordinarily, Rufina never talked about "work"
> with her husband, even though it was surely the key to
> understanding the man she loved and describes as being constantly
> aware of the demands of his profession.
>
> "I wasn't interested in it." she says. "Especially in Russia, it
> was something forbidden. I understood he didn't want to talk
> about it and he knew he couldn't either. You have to remember
> those times. Also, he never broke the rules of his profession."
>
> Like the more sophisticated of his KGB colleagues, she argues
> that her husband was not a traitor: his decision to serve
> communism pre-dated his joining the SIS. Call him what you like -
> cold-blooded, ruthless, a fanatic for an evil cause - she would
> have us believe that he never betrayed his "ideals".
>
> "He didn't feel like a traitor. At the very beginning he took one
> side and was always for that side," she says. "He was fighting
> against fascism. But what came after the war . . . perhaps he
> wasn't completely happy about it."
>
> So how did the reality of Soviet Communism measure up when he
> [...]

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.