-Caveat Lector-

>From: Ric Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> There's nothing in the Constitution about NOT bribing elected/
> appointed officials or gov't employees, so the Founders must
> not have wanted to cut off such supplemental income, eh?  Yup,
> bribery is constitutional.  AND WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?!?!?

    While it is true that the Constitution that most people are familiar
with does not include a provision for the punishment of politicians who take
bribes. However, there is a great deal of evidence that the Constitution
once contained such a provision, but that it was removed. I am referring to
what has been called the "hidden 13th amendment which many believe was
passed in 1819 and removed after the Civil War. I personally know someone
who has seen an official copy of the state constitution of Conneticut which
also contained the US Constituion from the 1850s and it contained this
"hidden 13th". He also had a history book from 1856 which contained the US
Constitution including the "hidden 13th" which had been in his wife's
family. The "hidden 13th" disallowed the acceptance of bribes and titles of
nobility (such as esquire). It provided the penalty of loss of office and
citizenship. Here it is:

"If any citizen of the United States shall accept, claim, receive, or retain
any title of nobility or honour, or shall
    without the consent of Congress, accept and retain any present, pension,
office, or emolument of any kind whatever,
    from any emperor, king, prince, or foreign power, such person shall
cease to be a citizen of the United States, and
    shall be incapable of holding any office of trust or profit under them,
or either of them."

   If you ask a federal official what happened to the amendment you will be
told that it was almost passed by an adequate number of states, but failed
by not being passed by Virginia which was the last to consider it. However,
Virginia is known to have ordered the printing of a large number of copies
of the Constitution right after the amendment was to be considered and those
copies contain the "hidden 13th". So it seems likely that they did, in fact,
pass the amendment. Also, many other states' printing of the Constitution
also contained the "hidden 13th". This continued in a few states even after
the Civil War. Incidently, the state records of Virginia were burned during
the Civil War. If Virginia had passed the amendment as may be supposed, it
seems quite possible that their notice of passsage could have been "lost" at
the federal level. For more info: http://www.frii.com/~gosplow/13th.html

Howard Davis