-Caveat Lector-

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX THURSDAY, AUGUST 26, 1999 21:41:51 ET XXXXX

EX-CIA OFFICER SAYS SECRET ARMY UNIT 'PRESENT, UP FRONT AND CLOSE' DURING
ASSAULT; MILITARY ROLE AT WACO JUSTIFIED, GOV
REPORT SAYS

A former CIA officer tells Friday's DALLAS MORNING NEWS that he learned
from Delta Force commandos that members of the secret Army unit were
"present, up front and close" in helping the FBI in the final tear-gas
assault on the Branch Davidian compound.

The former officer, Gene Cullen, tells the paper that heard detailed
accounts of the military's active involvement from "three or four"
anti-terrorist Delta commandos as he worked with them on an overseas
assignment in 1993.

The paper reports evidence in the hands of Texas law enforcement personnel
may support the account given to Cullen.

"I'm advised there is some evidence that may corroborate" the allegation
that Delta Force participated in the assault, said James B. Francis Jr.,
chair of the Texas Department of Public Safety.

A Pentagon spokesman who spoke on condition of anonymity denied Thursday
that any U.S. military units were involved in the assault, "as far as I
know."

[Pentagon policy barred him from any public discussion of Delta Force, even
the possibility of its existence.]

Meanwhile, any U.S. military assistance at the April 1993 Waco siege was
jusified, according to the General Accounting Office.

The ATLANTA JOURNAL CONSTITUTION is reporting on Friday:

The GAO, which acts as Congress' investigative arm, states in a new report
that the military's direct involvement in Waco -- which included the use of
Army, Air Force, Texas and Alabama National personnel and equipment -- was
lawful due to federal antidrug laws.

Early reports from local law enforcement claimed that the Davidians were
running a methamphetamine laboratory from their Mt. Carmel compound.

AJC's Julia Malone quotes GAO's Carol Schuster, who was in charge of the
report: "The drug connection legitimizes providing military assistance
without reimbursement."

Writes Malone: "The report said no formal standard exists for justifying a
military role in drug investigations, giving military officials
'considerable discretion' in deciding whether to assist law enforcement
agencies."

The report concludes that $982,400 of military dollars were spent on
helicopters, tanks, a grenade launcher, as well as "Army Special Operations
observers".

No evidence of drug manufacturing was ever found at the Davidian compound.

MORE...

Military memos obtained by the WASHINGTON POST show the military provided
training to FBI agents in the use of the 40mm grenade launchers during Waco.

The military also lent "sophisticated technological support, including
experimental surveillance robots and a television satellite signal jammer."

X X X X X

AFTER HELL RIDE, TARSES DECLARES: I NEVER WANT TO BE A TV EXECUTIVE AGAIN!

Ex-ABC Jamie Tarses tells NYT Bill Carter that she is "an incredibly happy
person'' after making her decision to leave the network. Tarses declares:
"I definitely never want to be an executive again."

On Thursday Tarses, 35, quit her job as Cinderella of ABC's entertainment
division.

She was the first woman to serve as programming head at one of the three
major broadcast networks.

"At some point you have to wonder, when does your personal happiness factor
in?" Tarses tells Carter in fresh runs.

Earlier this week NEWSWEAK magazine's website reported that Tarses would
probably be asked to resign this week. But ABC Group chair Bob Iger rushed
a statement saying the story was "simply untrue."

What was true, according to Carter, who may now be set to write a book
about Tarses's hell ride at the network, was that Iger made clear how he
expected a new management structure to work at ABC -- a new structure that
turned out to be unacceptable to Tarses.

Tarses tells Carter that the new management reorganization at ABC TV,
ordered by DISNEY, had led to conflicts, creating a confusing hierarchy of
three executives in charge of programming and development.

"It's a clean break," Tarses says of her exit.

"I just don't want to play anymore," Tarses tell Brian Lowry of the LOS
ANGELES TIMES in an interview. "The work is a blast. The rest of this
nonsense I don't need....  I can't tell you how happy I am."

Tarses had two years left on her contract.  Happine$$ terms were not
disclosed.

Filed by Matt Drudge
Reports are moved when circumstances warrant
http://www.drudgereport.com  for updates
(c)DRUDGE REPORT 1999