-Caveat Lector-

fyi,

Bard

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Swift [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, August 27, 1999 7:41 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [The_Waco_Siege] [POLE] WACO

From: "Chris Swift" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[POLE] Paradox On-Line Encyclopedia: WACO
----

Waco

Background

A city in central Texas, USA, on the River Brazos, population (1990)
103,590. Founded as a ferry-crossing in 1849, it was named after the Waco
(Huaco) Indians. It is a commercial and industrial centre with tyres, glass
and paper manufacturers.

In 1993 a ranch near Waco was the scene of a 51 day siege in which several
government agents and over 70 members of the Branch Davidian religious sect
were killed.

Investigation reopened

The US Department of Justice has reopened an investigation into the 51-day
Waco stand-off between the FBI and the Branch Davidian cult after it was
revealed that agents fired potentially flammable tear gas canisters. (27
August 1999).

The FBI still insists the fire was the cult's fault.

FBI denies responsibility

For the past six years, FBI agents have repeatedly and categorically denied
that they fired any incendiary devices capable of sparking the blaze that
consumed the cult's compound.

The leader of the cult, David Koresh, and about 80 followers, including 25
children, died.

The 51-day siege ended with the deaths of more than 80 people

FBI spokesman John Collingwood said: "The FBI may have used a very limited
number of military-type CS gas canisters on the morning of April 19 in an
attempt to penetrate the roof of an underground bunker 30 to 40 yards away
from the main Branch Davidian compound."

The military-type canisters differ from civilian tear gas in that "the
military canisters may have contained a substance that is designed to
disperse the gas using a pyrotechnic mixture," Mr Collingwood said.

High-level contradictions: Attorney General under pressure

The revelations contradict congressional testimony of high-ranking Justice
Department officials including that of Attorney General Janet Reno.

Janet Reno: "Very, very frustrated"

Admitting the revelations might erode her credibility, Ms Reno pledged to
"get to the bottom" of why it took six years for the FBI to admit to the use
of the potentially incendiary munitions.

"It is absolutely critical that we do everything humanly possible to learn
all the facts as accurately as possible and make them available to Congress
and the public," she said.

Janet Reno:"I'll get to the bottom of this"

Within weeks, the results of the investigation conducted by 40 agents and
led by an FBI inspector are to report on the use of military-type tear gas
and why its use was not revealed for six years.

She said she was "very, very frustrated" that the information had taken so
long to emerge.

But she added that she still believed the FBI was not responsible for the
deaths.

Officials, who requested anonymity, said two military tear gas canisters
were fired hours before the fire began.

The canisters bounced off the roof of the concrete bunker and landed in an
open field, according to these officials.

Independent investigators concluded the fire began simultaneously in three
places.

Based on information from bugs planted on the compound, the FBI maintains
that the Davidians started the fire.

Arson investigators found that gasoline, charcoal lighter fluid and camp
stove fuel had been poured inside the compound.

Army involvement?

In other developments, the Texas Department of Public Safety told The Dallas
Morning News members of the Army's secret Delta Force anti-terrorism squad
were at the scene the day the compound burned.

The newspaper obtained a Defence Department document under the Freedom of
Information Act that confirmed the presence of the Special Forces unit when
the FBI used tanks to assault the compound.

The US military is barred from domestic law enforcement.

Congressional questions

Republican law said they would reopen the investigation and reconvene
hearings into the incident.

The revelation "casts doubt on the entire testimony that the government gave
Congress in 1995," Republican Representative Bob Barr told CNN.

The US Attorney-General, Janet Reno, says her credibility has been harmed by
an FBI admission over the fatal fire in 1993 at a besieged cult headquarters
in Waco, Texas.

For the past six years, FBI agents have repeatedly and categorically denied
that they fired any incendiary devices capable of sparking the blaze that
consumed the cult's compound.

Janet Reno:"I'll get to the bottom of this"

FBI version of events

Officials, who requested anonymity, said two military tear gas canisters
were fired hours before the fire began.

The 51-day siege ended with the deaths of more than 80 people

The canisters bounced off the roof of the concrete bunker and landed in an
open field, according to these officials, and so were unlikely to have been
the cause of the fire.

Independent investigators concluded the fire began simultaneously in three
places.

Based on information from bugs planted on the compound, the FBI maintains
that the Davidians started the fire.

Arson investigators found that gasoline, charcoal lighter fluid and camp
stove fuel had been poured inside the compound.

The stand-off at Waco in Texas put Janet Reno on the spot shortly after she
took office as the first woman US attorney-general.

Within a month, she gave the go-ahead for federal agents to conduct the
final raid on the Branch Davidian compound.

A fire broke out, consuming the cult's headquarters and killing more than 80
people.

She silenced criticism by accepting full responsibility. "I made the
decision. I'm accountable. The buck stops with me."

She answered without spin or apology, and it gave her a certain level of
popularity and political security.

Now, six years on, the Waco deaths have come back to haunt her with the
reports that FBI agents may have fired flammable tear gas into the cult
compound.

Her vehement statement that she intended to "get to the bottom" of the
matter suggested that it is close to her heart.

Asked if she thought the reversal of position had harmed her position, the
attorney-general replied: "I don't think it's very good for my credibility,
and that's why I am going to pursue it until I get to the truth."

(27 August 1999)

----

POLE ( Paradox On-Line Encyclopedia)

An on-line service from the Paradox magasine.

Attempting to present the clearest and most concise coverage of each subject
heading in 1000 words or less.

Each entry has an associated discussion list, the discussion list for the
above subject is [EMAIL PROTECTED]

All entries from POLE are available as they are updated by subscribing to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[Attachments have been removed from this message]

ONElist:  your connection to like-minds and kindred spirits.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]