-Caveat Lector-

http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a37c54a4a2562.htm

> [...]
> disarmament, which is interpreted by his Albanian allies as a
> tacit U.S. endorsement.
>
> No lessons have yet been learned by the Clinton administration.
> Recent reports from Montenegro state that the United States has a
> new ally in the president of Montenegro, Milo Djukanovic. Mr.
> Djukanovic is doing his best to break away from the union with
> Yugoslavia, therefore challenging Mr. Milosevic.
>
> As in the case of Kosovo, Mr. Djukanovic is calling for a
> referendum for independence. The Serbian reaction is fierce,
> especially the Serbian military. The Montenegrin president has
> learned from the cases of Bosnia and Kosovo that U.S.
> certification is the first step toward independence. Although
> Montenegro does not have an army or guerrilla force, U.S.
> alignment with Mr. Djukanovic will eventually call for Serbian
> intervention. The United States may become a handmaiden for the
> third war in Yugoslavia.
>
> If you want to know what nation-building in Kosovo will look like
> as a result of U.S. patronage, examine carefully what is now
> happening in Bosnia. A lead article titled "Leaders in Bosnia are
> said to steal up to $1 Billion: Blow to Nation-Building" (New
> York Times, Aug. 17) states: "As much as a billion dollars has
> disappeared from public funds or been stolen from international
> aid projects through fraud carried out by the Muslim, Croatian
> and Serbian nationalist leaders who keep Bosnia rigidly
> partitioned into three ethnic enclaves." The article exposes the
> deep corruption in Bosnia and the role that the three ethnic
> groups play in the corruption. The son of Muslim-Croat Bosnia's
> president, Bakir Izetbegovic, "controls the City Development
> Institute, in charge of the occupancy rights of some 80,000
> publicly owned apartments in Sarajevo," and "owns 15 percent of
> Bosnia Air, the state airline, and takes a cut of the extortion
> money paid out by local shopkeepers to Sarajevo gangsters." He
> has become one of the most powerful men in Bosnia.
>
> American involvement in the war against Mr. Milosevic has been
> replete with strategic and tactical errors from the beginning.
> Early in the conflict, Mr. Milosevic was made a partner.
> Ambassador Richard Holbrook argues this was necessary to achieve
> the Dayton Accord while simultaneously aligning with the Muslims
> and Croats. In Kosovo before the war, the Clinton administration
> also sought Mr. Milosevic as a partner while colluding with the
> Albanians. It seems that the same will happen in Montenegro
> unless the administration has learned its lessons. Its most
> egregious strategic error was its neo-Wilsonian fantasy that
> these rogue entities would become stable and democratic.
>
> With such allies, the United States guarantees continuous warfare
> in the region.
>
> Amos Perlmutter is a professor of political science and sociology
> at American University and editor of the Journal of Strategic

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.