-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 99-08-27 17:05:22 EDT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I am moving to the conclusion-after 50 years
>of research- that the system is corrupt and the most corrupt float to the top
> Simple as that...

Same conclusion here.  However, in order for corruption not to be PUBLICLY
perceived AS corruption, a plentiful dose of "conspiring" is absolutely
necessary.  Let's not forget the fundamental LEGAL definition of
"conspiracy," applied for example in prosecutions under the RICO statute.  It
needn't involve anything too bizarre or uncommon at all.

It's POWER that corrupts -- especially power without accountability, the Holy
Grail of the powerful, hard striven for by the power-hungry, since anything
less ISN'T "power."
How does one rein in, much less STOP, anyone empowered to act without
accountability?  Such have nowhere to go but upward, toward the capstone of a
pyramid built, alas, on the common man's --even victims'-- admiration for
rapacity, amorality, and corruption, in a system which demonstrably REWARDS
vice on every level from the bottom up ...

But "what fools these mortals be" ... We're appalled (and a little bit
pleased, vengefully) at hearing how Russia has become a nation owned and
operated by organized crime, yet we're too blind to notice that this is
likewise the case here in the United States  ...