-Caveat Lector-

On 3 Sep 99, , William wrote:

>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> Homeopathy: The Ultimate Fake
> Stephen Barrett, M.D.
> Homeopathic "remedies" enjoy a unique status in the health marketplace: They
> are the only category of quack products legally marketable as drugs. This
> situation is the result of two circumstances. First, the 1938 Federal Food,
> Drug, and Cosmetic Act, which was shepherded through Congress by a
> homeopathic physician who was a senator, recognizes as drugs all substances
> included in the Homeopathic Pharmacopeia of the United States. Second, the
> FDA has not held homeopathic products to the same standards as other drugs.
> Today they are marketed in health-food stores, in pharmacies, in practitioner
> offices, by multilevel distributors [A], through the mail, and on the
> Internet.

I really don't want to poke my nose into your debate, but when you find the right
homeopathic remedy for a symptom, it seems to work right away. I have found
homeopathic remedies exceedingly helpful for both myself and my pets. And I really
have no idea why they should work--but it appears to me, pragmatically, that they do,
when other more "traditional" alternatives" have failed me.

So far, I have used homeopathic remedies successfully for arthritic-like conditons,
colds, flues, and allergies and have found them remarkably effective. You do have to
experiment because they don't work until you find the "right" remedy. Then it works
almost instantly to relieve the conditon. My pharmacist is Indian, and while he spends
all day filling medical prescriptions, he carries a full line of herbal and homeopathic
remedies. For which I am very grateful.

I can't really argue with something that works. And no--I am not anti-science, although
I do believe the medical establishment is more involved with its own egos and profits
than with actually healing folks.

Latest word on the cutting edge--HIV has little or nothing to do with AIDS. It's HHV-6,
related to the herpes virus, which most of us carry, and which is usually dormant
within our systems, that is doing the real damage. HHV-6 is suspected of being the
active agent in MS and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome too. Virologists who are working on
this theory have been fighting the AIDS establishment for years to have their case
heard--while folks keep on dying. As Vonnegut said so pithily: So it goes.

sno0wl